• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Updates and new releases. (1 Viewer)

The front element is bigger with a 96mm filter size and I read somewhere the glass was diffeent but as usual, I can't find where I read it.

This is interesting. It seems that the front element of my lenses all correlate to approximately 92% the diameter of the filter size. For example, on my 150-500 DG OS the filter is 86mm, and the element is 79mm. Since 79mm x 6.3 = 497.7mm, I assume this to be an accurate assessment of the optical characteristic of the true lens aperture.

So if the filter size on this new 50-500 OS is 95mm, which is what I see in the spec data on DPReview, I would assume the front element is about 87mm. If that is accurate, the true aperture would be 5.7. That would then make this very close to an x-500mm ƒ5.6 lens. I would also assume that if the element is larger, then the resolution would be better than either the 150-500 or the current 50-500 EX. Faster AF? Better bokeh?

Of course the other possibility is a FL longer than 500mm, but I doubt that.

Could be an interesting lens. I'm glad that I'm not ready to buy a replacement for my 150-500 yet, since I really want to see the results of this one in the field. It probably wont sway me from wanting a 300 2.8 or 500 4.5 prime, but you never know.

OK, after getting myself all excited, I just read this from DPR:

"The filter size of this lens is φ95mm and the lens is supplied with a step down ring enabling digital cameras with an APS-C size image sensor to use an φ86mm filter."

This leads me to believe that maybe the front element is not larger, but the increased filter size eliminates vignetting on full frame sensors.

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_100-400_sigma_120-400_150-500_50-500.htm

A review and comparison of the original 50-500mm, 150-500mm and 100-400mm from canon - the OS now being in the 50-500mm is a very good thing indeed since it was what held that lens back. If it can at least meet the image quality of the 100-400mm and not be too much higher in price it could be a very good single lens does all for shooters (especailly wildlife shooters)

I suppose the price/IQ will be the main factor to its success, where would the price be after a few months £1500 to £2000, anyone know the retail price yet ?

So, it looks like Sigma is not marketing this one for the four/thirds system just like some others they have announced lately, so has there been an announcement that they have withdrawn from that market?

Niels

Seems to be going for around ¥160,000 in Japan.

That's only about ¥20,000 cheaper than a Canon 100-400L.

I haven't seen any reviews yet, dunno about the IQ. Given that price I'm assuming it's quite a cut above the 150-500 (just like the original Bigma was superior to the 170-500).

I have no plans to change my 100-400 for this, it'd be a sideways move at best but if I was starting off in bird photography the Stigma (Stabilized Bigma) looks pretty attractive, I'm sure the price will fall leaving it about 2/3 the price of a 100-400L and with extra reach.

Why don't they put OS into the 300 F2.8? Now that would get me reaching for my credit card........

US Price for the new OS 50-500 is $1599 vs $999 for the 150-500. The 50-500 would have to have significantly improved performance over the 150-500 to warrant my interest. I wouldn't pay extra for the wider reach. I'd only be interested if the IQ / autofocus performance were much better than the 150-500 (or if they added support for M4/3.

does it have a limit switch ? if not any miss focus will cause a lot of racking back and forth as its a masive range of FL.
Rob.

I see warehouse has it at £1400 canon fit, I wonder if its worthy of its price, probably drop a couple of hundred quid next few months, like to see some images at 500mm.

The more I look at the specs on this new 50-500 OS, the more disappointed I am with Sigma. I agree that it should have a limit switch. It should also be ƒ5.6 at the long end. There just doesn't seem to be enough separating it from the 150-500 OS, IMO...at least on paper. I suppose if the IQ is something magical then it might make up for the huge variance in price. But I highly doubt that will be the case. I hope I'm wrong, but call it a hunch. One promising feature is the 20" (50cm) MFD at 200mm, making it a fair Butterfly/Dragonfly lens. I just think they could have easily done a few small things to make this a "must have" lens, even if it meant a slightly higher price. I doubt you'll see too many Canon 100-400 L sales losing to this.

Interesting that you say that - we might not see people jump ship, but I suspect its the closest that the 100-400mm has to competition right now and at a very similar price point. The review I posted earler comparing the original 50-500mm to the 100-400mm had it in very close calling
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_100-400_sigma_120-400_150-500_50-500.htm

And now that the OS edition it out the IS advantage of the 100-400mm is almost gone. Lens Rentals have also had a go with it and whilst there is no official test review they have this to say:
http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sigma-50-500-f4.5-6.3-hsm-os/for-canon

Myself I am seriously cosidering this lens for its reach and versatility. Its a fight - if it can beat or at least equal the 100-400mm and then a fight between the L primes in that price range and the zoom that wins.

I may have been a bit harsh in my tone. I mean, I love my 150-500, so don't think I dislike Sigma. It just seems like an "almost" lens. FWIW, I am also feeling tempted by this lens. Seriously, 50mm for scenic work, 500mm for birds, and 200mm for a mild 1:3 macro (and more with tubes). It does have the makings of a useful jack of all trades nature lens, which is a great idea for field use. I guess I'm just ranting and complaining. :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back