• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 400 Macro (1 Viewer)

Is anyone shooting with the Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO macro? They show up every now and then for $325-350 and perform quite well.

I'm planning to buy a manual focus Nikon 400 f/3.5 so was practicing my manual focusing skills with my Sigma last weekend. Here's one of the test shots -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/calstanley/4542041510/sizes/l/

Cal
Windham, ME

Nice shot, Cal. What's the image size for the macro on that lens?

Sounds like a good butterfly lens.

It's an excellent lens for butterflies and dragonflies. I've had one for several years http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1805

It is, however, an old design now, having been discontinued approx. 10 years ago. If anyone is looking for a secondhand/used model be aware that there may be some compatibility problems with some modern cameras - Nikon versions don't have a built-in motor, for instance, so you need a camera body that includes a focussing motor. Canon models need to have been re-chipped at some stage and this probably means you'll need to search out the last version of the lens which has Sigma's HSM autofocus motor (this is the version that I have and I had to get it re-chipped when the revised chips were still available).

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/306-sigma-af-400mm-f56-hsm-apo-macro-test-report--review

I've seen your work before, Adey, and always been impressed with the quality. Had no idea that was a Siggy you were shooting with. Very tight detail.

Cal,
I shoot this lens w/ my Nikon D300. When focus-calibrated it produces some stunningly sharp images. I love it for its portability and image quality. However, it is a bit slow in focusing and can drive you mad. Still, for the price, if you can get ahold of one its a great lens. Here is an example:

Attachments

• CommonTern0953b.jpg
    CommonTern0953b.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 147
Thanks, Jason.

The lens does hold up well over the distance range that we're liable to use it for in wildlife photography. So it can be used at full aperture and at minimum focus distance (depth-of-field considerations aside) without any apparent drop in quality in the finished image.

Sigma APO 400 macro on a Pentax

I use this second hand lens on a Pentax K20, but the camera gives me built in vibration reduction.

The lens has had some excellent reviews in the past.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/306-sigma-af-400mm-f56-hsm-apo-macro-test-report--review
This one is slightly critical of the MF/AF switch but mine is OK.

I am happy with the results I get, usually hand held but on a tripod or monopod in poor light.

The attached shot was taken hand held. Just in case the EXIF data goes missing I've added it to the end of this message. I often shoot with the lens wide open and the sharpness is very good.

Dave

Model : PENTAX K20D
Software : Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 Windows
DateTime : 2010:05:09 11:27:57
Sub Information
ExposureTime : 1/750Sec
FNumber : F8.0
ExposureProgram : Program Action
ISOSpeedRatings : 400
ExifVersion : 0221
DateTimeOriginal : 2010:04:25 13:59:06
DateTimeDigitized : 2010:04:25 13:59:06
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MeteringMode : Division
Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
FocalLength : 400.00(mm)

Attachments

• Grasshopper Warbler 100425 IMGP5165 birdforum.jpg
    Grasshopper Warbler 100425 IMGP5165 birdforum.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back