• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watching mag Tripod Review (1 Viewer)

pluvanut

DOCG
Like some other BF contributors, I read equipment reviews in BW with some scepticism. The apparent bias shown on occasion in the past seems to have reappeared in the latest tripod review.

Like one or two other BFers also, I am a Gitzo fan/bore when it comes to supports. Having used Manfrotto, Benbo and finally Gitzo over a number of years the Explorer has yet to be found wanting in my use. Twist style leg extension locking was not my favourite system, but I decided to live with it in view of the positive aspects of the product.

Having used it the Explorer in a wide variety of settings with camera or scope, it soon became obvious that Gitzo, typically of them, have really done their homework on how to engineer twist locking.

Quite why the BW reviewer found it necessary to 'wring' the lock rings up so tightly as to hurt his hands is beyond me.

On my example a half turn is enough to go from 'drop' free to securely locked, with minimal tightening; all six joints are identical in behaviour and completely reliable. IMO they also result in more rigid leg than lever clamps.

Small issue in the great scheme of things, but it is practical bits like this that make equipment you can forget while getting on with the birding.

Anybody out there who has been dischuffed with a Gitzo product (and found better)?

Last edited:
Paul, I've had a Gitzo 1227 Mk 2 for several years, and overall consider it to be the best tripod I've owned (and I've had a few!). And I agree that BW reviews are sometimes unfair. But... I agree with this review's comments on the twist grips. I do have to twist quite hard to make them grip and they sometimes jam and take some shifting. Do you clean yours regularly, or add any sort of lubricant?

Sean

I have a G1325 and the leg locks go from tight to loose pretty quickly, much like Paul's experience. The only thing that bothers me is that my hands don't seem be able to acquire the memory of which direction to turn them. Didn't have that problem with Bogen lever locks or twist knobs.

I just won the bidding for a G1227, hope it doesn't have the same issues as Sean's.

dogfish said:
Paul, I've had a Gitzo 1227 Mk 2 for several years, and overall consider it to be the best tripod I've owned (and I've had a few!). And I agree that BW reviews are sometimes unfair. But... I agree with this review's comments on the twist grips. I do have to twist quite hard to make them grip and they sometimes jam and take some shifting. Do you clean yours regularly, or add any sort of lubricant?

Sean

Hi Sean,
I'd always assumed the leg locks were common across all Gitzos, they look similar. Maybe not. The Explorer is a relatively late design, perhaps its different. Certainly never been a problem.
Maybe I owe the reviewer an apology.
One of the things I like best about it is that I just use it - no lubricant or maintenance other than to clean the 'crud' out if things feel rough.

Well the G1227 I won on ebay arived reeking of smoke and with the leg locks full of grit trapped in grease. Not a pleasant feel or sound when when extending/collapsing/locking the legs.

I had to take the thing completely apart, soak and scrub the affected areas with Dawn dishsoap, then let it dry. Bogen recommends a dab of hi-temp grease on the threads. I put it back together and it works fine. The legs don't tighten quite as fast as my newer G1325, but they do ok.

Anyone with tightening uses should contact Gitzo (Bogen in the US). I have a feeling that replacing the composite bushing in each joint may help. From what I could find, several nature photogs that demand alot from their pods clean the leg joints and replace bushings fairly often.

Bill Atwood said:
The only thing that bothers me is that my hands don't seem be able to acquire the memory of which direction to turn them. Didn't have that problem with Bogen lever locks or twist knobs.
Great, now I can come out and admit the same ;) I think it's down to the fact that they operate in the wrong direction....right is tight, left is loose is engrained upon my mind.

Andy Bright said:
Great, now I can come out and admit the same ;) I think it's down to the fact that they operate in the wrong direction....right is tight, left is loose is engrained upon my mind.

Er.... :h?: But they do go right for tight left for loose.

:)

pluvanut said:
Er.... :h?: But they do go right for tight left for loose.

Ah, so Bill doesn't quite have as good an excuse as myself ... I was presuming the Gitzo's were the same as my Velbon, which is definitely seems unconventional.... although I suppose it depends on how you hold it ;)

Why do I get the impression I've put the twist mechanisms back the wrong way after a good clean a couple of years ago? I'll go and investigate.

I suppose my only excuse is a decade old habit I have from my various Bogens. Usually, when putting the scope & pod back in my Cherokee I turn it upside down to collapse the legs. (I place the scope on my foot, not the ground.) Not only does this method provide gravity assist, but is more stable compared to having some legs stiff and some loose during take down.

Unfortunatley righty tighty - lefty loosy no longer applies to the Gitzo in this alternate universe.

I guess I will have to put up with the leg adjustment issue, but I can already tell the 1227 is lighter and stiffer than than the 3011 and 3021, (not too mention 3246!) that I have had. Plus it will be easier to pack for travelling.

Right now I need to get it out for some real world birding.

Bill Atwood said:
I suppose my only excuse is a decade old habit I have from my various Bogens. Usually, when putting the scope & pod back in my Cherokee I turn it upside down to collapse the legs. (I place the scope on my foot, not the ground.) Not only does this method provide gravity assist, but is more stable compared to having some legs stiff and some loose during take down.

Unfortunatley righty tighty - lefty loosy no longer applies to the Gitzo in this alternate universe.

I guess I will have to put up with the leg adjustment issue, but I can already tell the 1227 is lighter and stiffer than than the 3011 and 3021, (not too mention 3246!) that I have had. Plus it will be easier to pack for travelling.

Right now I need to get it out for some real world birding.

Hi Bill,
You pulling my leg? or the tripod's?
Its is right (CW) tight looking from the botto..... who cares.

Happy Birding

Pretty mediocre. Stilt Sandpipers and Little Blue Heron were the best birds. White Pelicans were nice too. My 2 local spots had more Buffie habitat than I have seen ther before, but could not pull one out.

Other than that there were the usual Least, Semipalmated and Pectoral Sandpipers; Semipalmated Plovers and the ubiquitous Killdeer.

Bill Atwood said:
Pretty mediocre. Stilt Sandpipers and Little Blue Heron were the best birds. White Pelicans were nice too. My 2 local spots had more Buffie habitat than I have seen ther before, but could not pull one out.

Other than that there were the usual Least, Semipalmated and Pectoral Sandpipers; Semipalmated Plovers and the ubiquitous Killdeer.

What would have made your day exciting?
As far as I know I've never seen any of the birds you mention, sandpiper and plover yes, but different races.
Down to geography I guess, what habitats on your patch?

pluvanut said:
What would have made your day exciting?
As far as I know I've never seen any of the birds you mention, sandpiper and plover yes, but different races.
Down to geography I guess, what habitats on your patch?

Well Paul, I'll stick to shorebirds and waders since that was what I was trying out my new tripod on. And bear in mind this is a quick and dirty summary.

These species are nice finds and should be seen at least once during fall migration assuming you get out enough:

Snowy Egret
American Golden Plover
Long and Short-billed Dowitchers (actually not that difficult)
Western Sandpiper
Baird’s Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Sanderling
Wilson’s Phalarope
American Avocet
Willet
Marbled Godwit
Red-necked Phalarope

These are "Real Zooties" (well some more than others):

Glossy, White-faced or White Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Tricolored Heron
Ruff
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Piping Plover
Snowy Plover
Whimbrel
Red Phalarope
Black-necked Stilt
Ruddy Turnstone

Actually a few Stilts have moved into central/southern Illinois this year. Don't know if any bred successfully. Personally I don't have Piping Plover or Red Phal. on my list. But I don't get out every weekend like some do.

After seeing Little Egret in Tobago last March, I'll be trying to turn every immature Little Blue Heron that I see into one.

Plus a Merlin or Peregrine Falcon to stir the crowd is always nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back