• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor 85 HD (1 Viewer)

How does it compare to the celestron?

Hi Rick,

I saw you have both the Celestron and the Vortex Razor. Can you comment on the two scopes? I am tempted to buy one of these. It seems Celestron is much cheaper. Thanks.

Sora and Tree Swallow
Vortex Razor HD 20-60X scope
Nikon D40 with Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens

Hi Rick,

I saw you have both the Celestron and the Vortex Razor. Can you comment on the two scopes? I am tempted to buy one of these. It seems Celestron is much cheaper. Thanks.

A late response, but my two cents worth would be...there's very little difference in the two scopes as far as image IQ goes. Naturally, with a 100mm objective lens the Celestron image is a little brighter. I hate the Celestron focuser, you have to crank that course focus knob until your hand just about falls off to focus the scope. The Vortex focuser is I love the fact that the Celestron uses a wide variety of astro eyepieces, whereas the Vortex only has two eyepieces to choose from, and only one of those works with the Vortex DCA (digital camera adapter). The Vortex scope is much smaller and much easier to handle.

As an dual instrument for astronomical birdwatching-perhaps the Celestron Regal 100 FD is best ..?
The price is much lower in the Celestron scope.
Best

Bluedubius,

Can you see if there is a thread (size?) in front to mount a UV-filter ?

I haven´t seen any red colors in your photos, how do you think the scope brings out the colors in the red range ?

I think i have read that you can mount swaro eps on the scope...if so, then probably the swaro astro eps adapter also ?

Cheers,

Anders

Bluedubius,

Can you see if there is a thread (size?) in front to mount a UV-filter ?

I haven´t seen any red colors in your photos, how do you think the scope brings out the colors in the red range ?

I think i have read that you can mount swaro eps on the scope...if so, then probably the swaro astro eps adapter also ?

Cheers,

Anders

It does look like there are threads there, but I can't find any indication of the thread size. You could email Eagle Optics and I'm sure they could tell you that info. Reds look fine. I'll see if I can find a shot showing more red.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back