• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advise please (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Nikon AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR can i use a converter?
If not how do you tell a prime from another? there are tha same looking lenses with the same numbers and letters (almost) ranging in price from 4,000bht to 25,000 bht, the one above is 25k ?

Also I am in Thailand looking for a lens first for bird photography at a distance, then i will buy a body, preferably a nikon as I have owned them before.

Any ideas of where to look as I would like a sigma 50-500 or 150-500 or any other you suggest would do a good job.
I estimate spending 30,000 baht on a lens and 20,000 on a body, seems 20k will buy me a good used d300.
I really am a novice at this and would appreciate any help in basic english I can get.
All i want is to be able to take good shots at a distance, as here with the open fish ponds it is not easy to get close to many birds.

Thanks ash. 8-P

Last edited:
this may be it

SUPER ZOOM NIKON AF-S 80-400 VR i am thinking this maybe the best i can buy for my money? 29k baht that is, this I think will give me good distance and good pictures?

Am I right or wrong please ?? will it fit onto a d300 ?

is this a prime lens ? nikon af-s 300 mm f4 if ed price 32k baht

Priced at around £550 english is it a fair price ?

thanks ash.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back