• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snake ID, Kaziranga, India (1 Viewer)

Ben88

Jeppe Bundgaard photographed this snake while we were birding/mammal-watching at Kaziranga NP in Assam, India. The local guide called it a King Cobra, but he also said every flying Thick-billed Warbler was a Slender-billed Babbler and every singing one was a Marsh Babbler. Is this a King Cobra, or another species of snake, and why?

Attachments

• _MG_5646.jpg
    _MG_5646.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 112
Is this a King Cobra, or another species of snake, and why?

Hi. I suspect this is a Naja rather than King Cobra Ophiophagus because I cannot make out the large paired occipital scales (behind the parietals) typical of King Cobra. But...I'm really out of touch so suggest you wait for other views! Regards,
Brian

Hi. I suspect this is a Naja rather than King Cobra Ophiophagus because I cannot make out the large paired occipital scales (behind the parietals) typical of King Cobra. But...I'm really out of touch so suggest you wait for other views! Regards,
Brian

Without access to any field guides these were my exact thoughts. I think the Indian Cobra is also known as 'King Cobra' in parts of India along with various other common names. True King Cobras are much rarer and less likely to be encountered.

Last edited:
I asked Vivek Sharma from IndianSnakes.org who identified it as a Monocle Cobra:

King Cobra has 15 body rows while monocled has more than 20 in most of the body parts. On the posteriormost side of frame where mod body exists you can count scales are more than 10, so total dorsal scales rounding that body section will be some 19-21. Second thing i can see is presence of hood mark on the place where it should be present. In the same part of neck you can see black spot on the edge of ventrals. These black spots appear best when snake is displaying hood.

I asked Vivek Sharma from IndianSnakes.org who identified it as a Monocle Cobra:

Surely it's Spectacled rather than Monacled?

The black mark from what would be the opened hood which can bee seen, would not be there on Monacled but is in the perefect position for Spectacled?

It's harder than birding!

Andy

Last edited:
Not a King cobra, just visible in this specimen is the small triangular scale on the margin of the mouth between the 4th and 5th lower labials, absent in Ophiophagus hannah and definitive for Naja naja.

Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back