• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Swarovski ATX 65/95 (1 Viewer)

broadway

I'm thinking about a new scope as my existing one is definitely seen better days. The current favourite is an ATX 65 and/or 95mm.

The existing tripods I have are rather a compromise, one is too heavy and the other ones too lightweight. I will also get the digiscope adaptor sometime so that I can use my M43 camera with it.

I got as far either the Gitzo GT2531LVL with a GH1720QR or GH1720QR Head or Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 with a MVH502A head.

Any advice on the suitability of these combinations with 65/95mm Swarovski scopes?

Last edited:
I often use my Gitzo 2531 (non LVL) with my scope and consider it the minimum for this kind of work. Unfortunately whilst scopes are very light they offer high magnifications with little/no weight to damp down vibrations so a top notch tripod is essential IMO.

The Gitzo 2531 is a VERY good tripod as well as being nice and light - vastly superior to the Manfrotto 055 series (I used to own one). I would suggest, however, that you look for something a bit more sturdy like a used Gitzo 3530LS. This is my "Go To" tripod for scope work. It is a little heavier (not much) than the Gitzo 2531 but with it's thicker legs and Systematic spider (the top bit) it is far more rigid and damps down vibration much better than the 2531. It takes a little longer to set up as it has no center column - but is more stable/rigid as a result.

There is a newer version of the Gitzo 3530LS now available but, frankly, I prefer the older version as it is lighter, cheaper, and every bit as good as the new version with even the longest Canon production camera lenses (I use the 800mm F5.6). There is also a 4 leg section version - the 3542.

Just my thoughts! You might also like to have a look at the larger Sirui and Feisol tripods, these two are making some very nice kit these days.

Is it just me or are the manufacturers sites difficult when trying to select a tripod.

I had a quick look for a used Gitzo 3530LS, but couldn't find any.

I had looked at the Feisol, but somehow manged to miss the UK site and the Euro site looked expensive. The CT-3372LV - Elite looks like it's similar to the 3 series Gitzo Systematic (CT-3772 is not is stock). The VH-40 has had some poor reviews so I would need a to look elsewhere for the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back