• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Ipod Birding App for Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

JBbirder

Is there an Ipod app that covers Costa Rica? I have been looking at Birdjam Maker because it has a Costa Rica add on but you need Birdjam Maker, the add on and the Voices of Costa Rican Birds: Caribbean Slope CD. Total $100USD for just songs (NO PICTURES!!) and only 220 birds. Seems a bit steep and you have to get all of the components working together and build your own libraries using the Birdjam Maker software. Seems very convoluted.

Thanks,
JBbirder

JBbirder, Greetings
- I do use birdjam but that's just because I am lazy (however you still need to go through the following steps to get a complete set of calls).
With or without Birdjam:
Get the Costa-Rica CD but also download songs for free from xeno-canto http://www.xeno-canto.org/ . If you have the Stokes US CDs you can also use some calls from here.
Once you have all the calls you want, upload those songs in a phylogenetic order into itunes( eg: you can use avibase http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=cr&list=howardmoore). Then you can easily make play-lists on itunes of your target species for different areas etc...By the way, if you have made a spreadsheet of species in different areas, making playlists can be quite quick.
By the way I doubt there is an app

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's advice. Ended up purchasing Birdjam Maker and will let you know how it goes. So far there seems to be no information provided that instructs on how to create your own files (which is apparently what it is designed for).

Sorry I just noticed this thread, while looking for something else.

You can also create an alphabetized playlist list of the birds of Costa Rica without BirdJam (and do this for any area that has sound recordings available).

Download Ross and Whitney's Voices of Costa Rican Birds, Caribbean Slope, and Ross's Costa Rican Bird Song Sampler to iTunes, and then alphabetize the names by clicking at the top of the names column in iTunes. Then add a new playlist. Highlight the birds. Holding the left mouse button down with the cursor on the list, drag the cursor to the playlist title, and release the button. Then sync your iPod. That's it.

BirdJam usually provides really detailed instuctions for integrating their program with third party CDs. Also, they are very responsive to emails.

BTW, the BirdJam app for North American birds used with Stokes CDs works like a charm, and its interface is quite unlike Sibley et al.

Mike

Last edited:
Just updating this thread to say that a birding app for Costa Rica is finally available. It's called Costa Rica Birds Field Guide and is available for version 4.3 and higher iPhones, iPod Touch, and iPads.

It has images and information for over 450 species, vocalizations for over 200 of those.

Here is a link to the full version.

Here is also a link to a free, smaller version that gives a taste for the app.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back