• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Premier LX 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Alan M.

The new Nikon Premier LX 8x42. Is it the best?

I do not recall if there has been any discussion about the Nikon Premier LX 8x42, according to my bino salesman a brand new bino. He pointed out that the name is very similar to the previous Nikon. I tried it in the store against an 8.5 x 42 Swarovski, a bino I have been using for a year and a half, and a new Zeiss. I found the Nikon to have noticeably better colors, that is slightly deeper, if that is the best way of describing it. The salesman, who had suggested I try it, said his reaction had been the same. It's possible that I got the model number slightly wrong, since the NikonUSA website lists what seems to be it as Premier LX L. And my salesman (whom I do trust) tells me it's about $400 less than my Swarovskis.

Has anyone tried them? Obviously the focus was faster and easier than my Swarovskis. I do wonder if I saw the slightest bit of pin cushion distortion.

Of course, this was only a test in a store, not in the field.

Note that I just changed the title of this thread because I felt the old title was too bland and was not getting the attention I thought it should.

Last edited:
Greetings!

I saw my first Premier LX models yesterday, one of the optics stores I visited had a 8x32 and a 8x42 model freshly in stock. The first thing I noticed about them, in comparison to the older Venturer LX models, was the change in weight... it was more dramatic than the figures would lead you to believe. These actually felt LIGHT compared to their Venturer LX counterparts.

The next thing I noticed is that the rubber armor color was slightly different, sort of a neutral brownish purple instead of the older Venturer LX black color. I actually thought the new Premier LX models looked rather attractive, one of the nicer colors I've seen a binoculars armor done in. The final difference was in the eyecups, Nikon has now incorporated a 4 position click-stop into the normal helicoid mechanism, so you can set it for differing eye reliefs.

The optics, at least to my eyes, appeared to be completely identical to the older Venturer LX models. I compared a pair of 8x42 Venturers to the newer 8x42 Premiers, and trying as hard as I could for over 10 minutes of viewing, there just wasn't anything to distinguish one from the other. I've heard rumors that the new Premier LX models have slightly brighter optics, but my own experiences viewing them does not confirm this rumor. Wishful thinking on the part of reviewers, maybe?

All-in-all, I liked the new Premier LX models a LOT, but I don't feel that the dramatic price difference between the older Venturer (which can now be found on sale for almost half the cost of a Premier) makes the newer Premier LX models really worth buying at this point. Optically, you will get everything the Premier LX offers at a MUCH lower cost by buying the older models, and unless weight is a HUGE factor to you the Venturers are a much better value.

Best wishes,
Bawko

I assume these new bins are those being marketed in the UK as the HGLs, the L standing for 'light'.

Sean

dogfish said:
I assume these new bins are those being marketed in the UK as the HGLs, the L standing for 'light'.

Sean

I looked at the Warehouse Express site and I think that the HGL is the same. In a US store I was quoted a price of about $1,100. I am not certain if that is a discount price or list but it seems to be a bit less than the equivalent price of the HGL. And they look similar. Why different names for the same bino is beyond me.

Hi Alan,

The Nikons are held in pretty high regard by alot of people here on BF. One negative is that their 366ft FOV is a little less than that of some other top of the line bins. Also, I believe they are not quite as bright.

I almost bought the heavier, older, version (HG) about a year ago, but I really didn't like the extra weight and got the Ultravids instead. I told several people at the time that if they shaved 6 oz off the thing I would buy a pair.

Well they went and did it, only about 8 mo too late. I hope to get my hands on these new Nikons (and Zeiss) this winter. Depending on what I find I may have a pair of Ultravids for sale.

Oh...and one would of hoped that Nikon wouldn't have jacked up the price so much for the new version, but right now $1,100 is a good price.

Atomic Chicken said:
The next thing I noticed is that the rubber armor color was slightly different, sort of a neutral brownish purple instead of the older Venturer LX black color. I actually thought the new Premier LX models looked rather attractive, one of the nicer colors I've seen a binoculars armor done in. The final difference was in the eyecups, Nikon has now incorporated a 4 position click-stop into the normal helicoid mechanism, so you can set it for differing eye reliefs.

Some years back I had a (used) Nikon 8x42 HG (LX in the USA). The armour was very dark brown, and not black. It had a low serial number (less than 300) so maybe only later ones were black.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back