• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Chases a Hoopoe! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
23-03-04
Location : Colyford Common & Seaton Marshes. Devon. SY252905 & SY250920.

I had decided not to go back to Weymouth for the Franklin's Gull, instead we went to Colyford to try and see a Hoopoe that had been showing for the past three days. Most of the morning was spent wandering up and down the path at Colyford Common as standing by the gate with the only birds of interest being a Common Kestrel and a Common Buzzard. During a chat with a local birder I discovered the Hoopoe comes to the second gate late afternoon to roost in the hedge. We then decided to go to Seaton Marshes and spend the day in Seaton's shops before returning at half past three in the afternoon for another chance to see it. I had hoped to come away from Seaton Marshes having seen a Wheatear. There seemed to be very little on the way to the hide where I recorded just a few species. There were Common Redshanks, Eurasian Curlews, an Eurasian Oystercatcher, Common Shelducks, Eurasian Teal, Eurasian Wigeon, Mallards, a Mute Swan, two Grey Herons, and a Little Egret. The feeding station near the hide had loads of European Greenfinches and a Reed Bunting. On the way back I walked round the Borrow Pit and found another Reed Bunting along with at least three Common Chiffchaffs. One of the Chiffchaffs had very yellow undertail coverts that had me flummoxed for a while. Walking around Seaton for three hours was not a lively experience at all and I was glad to be back at Colyford Common. After two hours I failed to see the Hoopoe. It was seen near the gate when we walked to view a field that two birders claimed to have seen it fly into. It was very annoying to realise that I should have stayed in one place and I would have easily seen it. I shall return tomorrow afternoon on the bus and watch the tree for the bird to come to roost.

24-03-04

The bus journey to Colyford was a long one and due to a misunderstanding with the driver of the first bus I had paid too much but that was all forgotten quickly with the looming prospect of seeing the Hoopoe. I was confident of seeing it this time with hindsight from yesterday. I arrived at tea time instead of hanging about all day as my plan was to watch for the bird coming in to roost this time. There was a small gathering of birders at the viewing platform about 300 yards away from the Hoopoe's regular spot by the gate. I set up my scope, focussed on the base of the oak tree and waited. There was a friendlier gathering of birders compared to yesterday and the crowd was building to about fifteen. Some of the birders left to wait near the gate which I thought was inconsiderate as the Hoopoe does not like people being nearby and we had made the effort to wait so far away in the cold wind. Some birds made an appearance but there was only a few of note such as Meadow Pipits, a Rock Pipit and a Mistle Thrush. About quarter to six the group noticed the other group were studying a bird. We all set about looking for the Hoopoe. It was in the grass where I expected it to be, by the oak tree and I shouted out it's location. We were all enjoying fine views of the Hoopoe and it was a friendly affair as we shared scopes with those who hadn't got one. This was a lifer for me and one I had longed to see. I had expected to see some salmon pink colouration but it was more a warm orangey brown and the dark black eye married the black bill beautifully. I was delighted to be seeing the crest on the head with black and white stripes. The wings were also black and white stripes. It seemed rooted to the spot and began preening for an eternity before a few probes into the grass for food. After about half an hour's fantastic viewing it took off into the trees and preened some more before disappearing further into the hedge to roost. The other group by the gate had such excellent views that some were not even using their binoculars. We did not begrudge them this even though it was a movement from one of this group that scared the bird off. Most of the birders started leaving but three of us stayed behind to try and get closer views of the Hoopoe roosting and failed after a lengthy search. I was so happy with this and felt it was a just reward for coming back again after yesterday and it made up for the disappointment of dipping on the Franklin's Gull.

Nice one Andrew I have never seen one in this country, only ever seen them in India where they are commonplace. Still gave me a thrill to see them, even though the locals didn't give them a second glance.

Congralations Andrew, a just reward for making the effort a second time around.
Hopefully it (or a new migrant) will be around when I head down south for the Franklins!
Did you get to see the Great-white Egret at Powderham today?

Just discovered it on Birdguides, guess where I will be tomorrow morning!!! If I get it, it wil be a lifer. Make up for missing out on the Sturminster Marshall bird!

Well done Andrew,only ever seen one myself and that was a few years ago at Holme,Norfolk.By the way nice to meet you and your mate,Kingfisher I think, at Abbey Farm,Flitcham,Norfolk last month. :t:

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I have been recollecting the vision of the Hoopoe many times since yesterday. It will live on for a long time.

Geoff, I mistakenly wrote you down in the BF200 thread as Jeff. Sorry about that. Yes, it was good to put a face to a name especially one who gave me a bird whistle.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back