• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcock Mating Rituals (1 Viewer)

affe22

Yesterday I got to see male woodcocks do their mating display. It was really neat. If you've never seen it, they fly pretty high up into the air and flap their wings extremely quickly. This creates a very high pitched whistling sound. Then, they just kind of stop flapping and fall out of the sky back to where they took off from. I wanted to get some pictures, but they do it right before dark and through the night.

Marvellous, isn't it? We call it "roding" over here - the male flies in a large circle calling. We'll not get it just yet, but soon, I should think.

Affe,
Sounds real interesting. Why not use a flash (it will help keep the picture from blurring also)? Hope to see some photos if you get any.
Dave

I remember reading they evocative account of the 'sky dance' of American Woodcock in Aldo Leopold's 'A Sand County Almanac' so thanks to Affe for reminding me of this. The European Woodcock makes some of the strangest sounds I've ever heard from a bird during its roding display - an almost impossibly shrill whistle followed by a low gurgling 'rrgg-rrgg-rrgg'. As the nights grow warmer I would urge anyone to visit their local forest at dawn or dusk to enjoy this strange ritual.

An exciting bird.
It sounds like your American bird has a more dramatic flying display than 'ours'.
We see them here fly over a circuit often at height, uttering strange amphibian type croaks.

Scampo. They've been roding for weeks now! I'd of thought you'd be out making the most of you 82mm' objective lense at the appropriate time. ;)

Stevie

Hi Affe,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Nice one on your American Woodcocks - it's one I missed out on, on my visit to MO, despite trying. Listened to a recording of one, it's a very different sound to what our Eurasian Woodcock makes

Michael

Are American Woodcocks referred to in some locales as Timberdoodles ?? I remember reading something years ago (might have been in a National Geographic) about the dance of the Timberdoodles and it sounds similar to what was described above .... it only sticks in my memory because Timberdoodle is such a great name !! I'm now off to Google for Timberdoodle .....

Annie

Fifebirder said:
Hi Annie,

I just googled it too and it looks like you're right. Apparently also known as a 'bog sucker'. Ewww ;)
Charming .... I think I much prefer Timberdoodle (which based on googling looks fairly common). One to add to the nickname thread.

AnnieW said:
Charming .... I think I much prefer Timberdoodle (which based on googling looks fairly common). One to add to the nickname thread.
Replying to myself ..... just realised that it had already been added yesterday !

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back