• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B/GA Classic – focusing direction? (1 Viewer)

Dorian Gray

When focusing from a nearby object to a faraway object, which direction (from the user’s perspective) must the focusing ring be turned?

Although the direction presumably doesn’t matter in itself, I am used to binoculars that go clockwise.

If the Dialyt 7x42 goes clockwise too, I’d be interested in learning more about it. Does anyone have a Zeiss catalogue or brochure from about 1981 to 2004, the approximate period during which this binocular was made? Google revealed surprisingly little. Old advertisements would also intrigue me.

When focusing from a nearby object to a faraway object, which direction (from the user’s perspective) must the focusing ring be turned?

Hi Dorian,

The Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT focuses CW to infinity (from the user's perspective). A wonderful bino and an old friend; I still have mine and use it now and then.

John

Thank you, John. That’s the ‘right’ direction for me. I suspected it was clockwise – because a newer Zeiss I used was clockwise – but wanted confirmation.

If anyone knows how Zeiss advertised this model in brochures, etc., while it was a current model, I’d be curious to see the docs.

I have now! Thanks.

I had already read Holger Merlitz’s comparative review. But I know from experience that I enjoy fine mechanical quality more than I really should and probably more than Merlitz does. This makes me think I might particularly like this binocular.

I haven’t yet made a decision, though. I’m looking for something with significantly better low-light usefulness than my Nikon 8x32 SE. Can’t afford current top-tier binoculars. Suggestions welcome!

Dorian Gray, posts 1 and 6,
I have tested several 7x42 binoculars and among others also the 7x42 Dialyts. You can find the reports on he WEB-site of House of Outdoor looking under "Verrekijkers"and "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". If you scroll the list of test reports you can find the Dialyt under the test report of the Leica Ultravid HD-plus 7x42. I have tested several other 7x42's in comparison with the Leica. In another report I also tested the 7x42 of Meopta and it is striking that this binocular beats quite a few other brands in performance, while at a much much lower price.
The Dialyt 7x42 is not produced anymore since the company that made the body of the binocular for Zeiss stopped the production.
Gijs van Ginkel

The Dialyt 7x42 is not produced anymore since the company that made the body of the binocular for Zeiss stopped the production.
Gijs van Ginkel

Of course the Dialyt 7x42 was superseded by the Design Selection/Night Owl 7x45 and this was replaced by the FL 7x42 although none of these improved on the field of view of the Dialyt.

Lee

Hello Lee,

As I recall, the 7x42 Dialyt was reissued as the 7x42 ClassiC, after the Design Selection binoculars proved unpopular. A major complaint agains the Design Selection 7x45 was that it was unbalanced with too much weight at the front.

The 7x42FL was definitely more compact probably made possible by the FL glass. The later 7x42 Classic was a near perfect design optically and even ergonomically.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Arthur,

I'm told there's also no difference between the original 7x42 T*P Dialyt and the later 7x42 T*P* ClassiC. However, the T* models shown on post #7 are not phase coated, making them much darker, and IMO to be avoided. The distinguishing feature is the ribbing on the axle of the phase-coated models.

Ed

Last edited:
...I enjoy fine mechanical quality more than I really should and probably more than Merlitz does. This makes me think I might particularly like this binocular...

I love the optics and ergonomics of my Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, but it is unfortunately not mechanically perfect. The focusing yoke (external, unlike most roofs, and which, incidentally, like the exterior of the oculars, is plastic) is robust but is not perfectly stable at different temperatures and changes shape slightly. Consequently, the diopter has to be set differently at different temperatures to compensate. Also, the focus gets stiff at very high (yes, high) temperatures. Zeiss USA tried to fix it several times, seemingly by lubing the focus mechanism and maybe replacing the seals in the oculars, but the problem seems to be inherent to the design (or the materials used in my unit).

--AP

I can't recommend the 7x42 BGATP highly enough. The tricky bit is finding a 7x42 BGATP in mint or very good condition. It's not like shelling out for a new alpha...this will require some hunting and patience and then a willingness to shell out handsomely for an older binocular. There will usually be some risk. The 7x42 BGATP would be one of the very last bins I'd ever get rid of. I've wondered if there isn't something about the leaded glass (?) which lends a certain hue to the images.
Both of my examples are mechanically perfect, so I have no experience of the issues mentioned in post #12. I haven't used them in extreme temperatures.

Im still a bit uncertain as to whether the 7x42 B/GA tested by Holger Merlitz http://www.holgermerlitz.de/swaro7x42.html were phase coated or not. Holger suggests that they are phase coated because they were made in 1988, and yet they lack the nomenclature and the ribbed axle as mentioned by elkcub.

Last edited:
As per the request in the OP, Here is a little of the Zeiss material sent to me a couple of years ago by John Dracon.

Apologies for the low resolution. I had trouble downsizing.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 212
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Hello Lee,

As I recall, the 7x42 Dialyt was reissued as the 7x42 ClassiC, after the Design Selection binoculars proved unpopular. A major complaint agains the Design Selection 7x45 was that it was unbalanced with too much weight at the front.

The 7x42FL was definitely more compact probably made possible by the FL glass. The later 7x42 Classic was a near perfect design optically and even ergonomically.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thank you Arthur you make an excellent point.

Lee

I love the optics and ergonomics of my Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, but it is unfortunately not mechanically perfect. The focusing yoke (external, unlike most roofs, and which, incidentally, like the exterior of the oculars, is plastic) is robust but is not perfectly stable at different temperatures and changes shape slightly. Consequently, the diopter has to be set differently at different temperatures to compensate. Also, the focus gets stiff at very high (yes, high) temperatures. Zeiss USA tried to fix it several times, seemingly by lubing the focus mechanism and maybe replacing the seals in the oculars, but the problem seems to be inherent to the design (or the materials used in my unit).

--AP

Interesting info Alex thanks

Lee

Of course the Dialyt 7x42 was superseded by the Design Selection/Night Owl 7x45 and this was replaced by the FL 7x42 although none of these improved on the field of view of the Dialyt.

Lee

Having owned all three, I feel I can say that the 7x45 is every bit as good as the 7x42 B/GAT but larger and heavier, and the lighter and more compact FL is a worthy successor to both of them.

I know where there's a late (2,529,nnn) 7x42 B/GAT new in the box that might be for sale, and also a mint-condition Night Owl 7x45 that the owner might be persuaded to part with. PM me if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

John

I can't recommend the 7x42 BGATP highly enough. The tricky bit is finding a 7x42 BGATP in mint or very good condition. It's not like shelling out for a new alpha...this will require some hunting and patience and then a willingness to shell out handsomely for an older binocular. There will usually be some risk. The 7x42 BGATP would be one of the very last bins I'd ever get rid of. I've wondered if there isn't something about the leaded glass (?) which lends a certain hue to the images.
Both of my examples are mechanically perfect, so I have no experience of the issues mentioned in post #12. I haven't used them in extreme temperatures.

Im still a bit uncertain as to whether the 7x42 B/GA tested by Holger Merlitz http://www.holgermerlitz.de/swaro7x42.html were phase coated or not. Holger suggests that they are phase coated because they were made in 1988, and yet they lack the nomenclature and the ribbed axle as mentioned by elkcub.

I found mine T&P Classic model still with box and paper work and in excellent condition. Paid just over 700 GBP for them. Sent them off to Zeiss for a service and they sent them back saying nothing needed doing. They were as new. Some say stop living in the past. These bins still hold up today I say

I found mine T&P Classic model still with box and paper work and in excellent condition. Paid just over 700 GBP for them. Sent them off to Zeiss for a service and they sent them back saying nothing needed doing. They were as new. Some say stop living in the past. These bins still hold up today I say

I own two pairs of the Dialyt BGAT 7X42's, one T*P and the other T*P*, they're superb birding binoculars and still get daily use here. Perhaps a blast from the past but I wouldn't part with these bins, a truly delightful birding experience!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back