• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on best camera/lens combo (1 Viewer)

Used the Black rapid sport strap now for a few years, you have to remember if buying one they are handed.as to which shoulder you want them on.

I have to zoom holding the camera as i tend to zoom while taking when stuff is flying past or towards me.

Used the Black rapid sport strap now for a few years, you have to remember if buying one they are handed.as to which shoulder you want them on.

I have to zoom holding the camera as i tend to zoom while taking when stuff is flying past or towards me.

I am only just starting to attempt bif with the added capabilities of the G80 - my left hand would permanently hold the tripod foot, with the battery grip cradled in the rest of the palm - my right hand of course goes from shutter to the zoom collar when needed, so will always be a short spell of being not on the shutter for me, but is very quick to find my way back to it.

I tend to fully zoom when removing my camera from the holster, so the only zooming is to a lower mm for the odd occasion I am too close to a bird :-O

I tend to carry the lens fully zoomed (or at least to 370 mm) when walking around. That minimizes the problem of sucking in dust - which would be bigger with the 100-300 anyway.

Niels

Regarding carrying my E-M5 + Pana 100-400, I use Spider Camera Holster Black Widow Holster Kit B&H # SP850 MFR # 850.

When ready to shoot, almost automatic when removing from holster, extending to 350mm before reaching eye level.

Also carry fully extended over the shoulder when actively looking to take a pic.

I tend to carry the lens fully zoomed (or at least to 370 mm) when walking around. That minimizes the problem of sucking in dust - which would be bigger with the 100-300 anyway.

Niels

The Olympus I understand is still very good with the TC on, so a good option if you are after ultimate reach and IQ, and don't mind the extra weight, size and price, and don't need/want a zoom.

I bought recently the Pana-Leica 100-400mm, choosing it over the Olympus 300mm due to ~1/3 lower price and the zoom. I was worried that I would have problems locating smaller birds without the possibility to do the "zoom out - locate - zoom in" sequence. Turns out, if you practiced (as I did) with a 75-300mm telephoto lens before, it's not *that* hard to quickly locate even small birds with the lens fully extended to 400mm :) The wider end is still useful for photographing bigger birds close up, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back