• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help please - moth (Prodotis?) from Kuwait (1 Viewer)

Phil Davison

Hi all, would be very grateful for any help with identifying this moth, found in Kuwait in October. From a bit of research, it looks a lot like Prodotis (Grammodes) boisdeffrii, but I'm not sure if that species occurs in the Kuwait region.
Many thanks, Phil Davison

Attachments

• Kuwait Prodotis moth resized.jpg
    Kuwait Prodotis moth resized.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 34
It does look rather similar but I'm not certain if it has been recorded from Kuwait (Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Egypt). In fact, I've only seen a few papers published on the Lepidoptera from Kuwait. I'll be at the Natural History Museum next week and could have a look at the collection. By the way, it would not be Prodotis (Grammodes) boisdeffrii as Grammodes is the older name.
Martin

Last edited:
Thanks Martin, that matches the range info that I could find on that species, hence my caution on the ID - so I'm wondering if there could be a similar species further east that I'm not aware of.

Hi
I've just come across a paper citing this species for the first time from Iran, so I would assume that it therefore also occurs in Kuwait - but probably as a new country record. The paper is:

Esfandiari, M., Mossadegh, M.S., Shishehbor, P., Mikkola, K. [deceased] & Hodjat, S.H. 2010. Four noctuid (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) taxa new for the fauna of Iran. Phegea 38: 62-67 [http://www.phegea.org/Phegea/2010/Phegea38-2_62-67.pdf].

Martin

Last edited:
That's great, thanks Martin - the location of the Iranian specimen in that paper looks like being only 70 miles from my Kuwait sighting, so it's given me considerably more confidence in the ID.

Just a brief up-date.
I looked at the NHM collection today and there are specimens there from Arabia.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back