• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (2 Viewers)

We are planning to visit this area next year to see the sandpipers. When would the best times be to visit and for how long (how long is a piece of string!). We intend to travel onward to Foping.
Thanks
Tony

winter to Minjiang(Nov-Mar) and spring(Apr-May) and autumn(Aug-Oct) to Rudong.

Whilst I share your uneasiness about a captive breeding programme Terry and am likewise not aware of the scientific rationale behind this, this species is clearly in very serious trouble, so any help in stabilising the population must be good.

how do you stabilise a population by taking the birds' eggs ?

unless there is 100% replacement by second brood, which isn't going to happen, taking the birds' eggs is only going to precipitate the impending extinction in the wild

the problem with this 'solution' is that it gives people carte blanche to continue destroying wild bird populations as they'll be able to rely on those nice well-meaning scientists in dear old Blighty to step in at the last minute and rescue the future of the species(plural) by maintaining some remnant populations in some nice fenced-in duckpond in Gloucestershire

sad as it is to say so, I think we need the wake-up call to happen

just hope those people who are really bothered about seeing these birds before they disappear, connect with them, and don't get caught out by Slender-billed Curlew style "oh they'll be there next year" naivety

Roman Abramovitch is Governor of Chukotka isn't he. If he only sold just one of his three 'superyachts' and put the money into saving SBS he could probably save the future of the species (at least for a human generation or two) and it might actually be more entertaining for him than sitting there looking bored out of his mind while 50 million pounds of Fernando Torres fails to score yet again...

how do you stabilise a population by taking the birds' eggs ?

unless there is 100% replacement by second brood, which isn't going to happen, taking the birds' eggs is only going to precipitate the impending extinction in the wild

the problem with this 'solution' is that it gives people carte blanche to continue destroying wild bird populations as they'll be able to rely on those nice well-meaning scientists in dear old Blighty to step in at the last minute and rescue the future of the species(plural) by maintaining some remnant populations in some nice fenced-in duckpond in Gloucestershire

sad as it is to say so, I think we need the wake-up call to happen

just hope those people who are really bothered about seeing these birds before they disappear, connect with them, and don't get caught out by Slender-billed Curlew style "oh they'll be there next year" naivety

Roman Abramovitch is Governor of Chukotka isn't he. If he only sold just one of his three 'superyachts' and put the money into saving SBS he could probably save the future of the species (at least for a human generation or two) and it might actually be more entertaining for him than sitting there looking bored out of his mind while 50 million pounds of Fernando Torres fails to score yet again...

Having read the justification for this project (see British Birds July or listen to Charlie Moore's Talking Naturally Podcast with Dr Debbie Pain of WWT), I am completely convinced that that this 'conservation breeding programme' is worth a go. Given the incredibly low survival rate of young SBS in the wild, the impact of this project on the wild population is likely to be very small (estimated to be around 1 per cent of adult birds against a current annual decline of around 26 per cent). I have everything crossed that it is a success. Good luck to all involved.

A lot more waders on 6 Aug(typhoon only brought wind but no rain) than 22 Jul.Two Spooner arrived,the earliest autumn sighting since 2008.

Autumn suddenly came to Rudong with heavy rain and wind.On the morning of 24 Aug I saw 6 adults in br plumage.
They all stood in the rain,as cold as I felt I guess,reluctant to move.I got a cold and will bring more sightings when recovered.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Rudong really is about the easiest place to see spoon-billed sands in summer plumage without disturbing them on the breeding grounds. Look forward to further updates. Hope you get a good crop of juveniles this year.

Ken

Today in Rudong Dong went to the west side of the harbor and saw 6 br Spooner.
I went to the east side and saw 6 or 7,with only one br plumage.The others were in heavy moult.I saw one with one outermost primary,and the other with four outermost primaries(last week there were also a few with four or five outermost primaries.)
I think this means two groups of Spooner arrive here in different timing.The one arrived earlier has earlier moult.

Many juv waders are arriving but no juv Spooner yet.Everyday we can see more than 10 adults in different stage of moult and the total number in the whole area is definately more than 20.

Visited some coastal sites from south Shandong to Jiangsu but it looks that Rudong in the whole Jiangsu Province holds the biggest hope for Spooner.

to McM:
in Yangkou town there're many photographers who bring some disturbance to our survey and now we are trying more on other sites in Rudong county which hold better habitats than Yangkou.

Good news that you still managed to get such numbers this year. A lot of effort has gone into that, I know. Any juveniles at all?

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back