• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (2 Viewers)

Oh my!Tongmenxiu saw 24+ Spooner at Rudong on 29 Sep!

Oh my, indeed! The best news I've heard in quite a while. I hope some of them are juvs - that would be even better news.

As for Terry's video, that captures the Drive to Rudong excellently and is great fun to watch from the comfort of my sofa. From the back seat of the car it was slightly less funny (just hysterical laughter) but well worth it for the superb views of spoon-billed sandpipers.

Keep up the good work Tongmenxiu and Mcaribou!

Ken

Oh my!Tongmenxiu saw 24+ Spooner at Rudong on 29 Sep!

Great stuff - one of the highlights of the year seeing the spooners at Rudong this spring; did you ever find out where that green-flagged bird was ringed?

Is there any hope for this site in the long run?

cheers, alan

Hi
It would appear that the end of September is the best time to go to Rodong to see Spoon-billed Sandpiper. How would this fit in with travelling to see (hopefully) Giant Pandas in Foping and Crested Ibis? Would there be more chance in the spring to see all of the above?
Thanks
Tony

Tony,

I think end of September is just starting to get into the good time of year for Pandas - I know Oct-Dec is excellent for these and the other mammals, ie Takin, Goral, Serow, Golden Snub-noses etc but really not sure about September - ask the panda project team. May is a great time of year for pandas (everything else is really tough) as not only are they relatively easy to see the weather is nice too - the rangers were telling us about how much they didn't enjoy crunching through the snow at -10 during the late autumn and winter months!

Crested Ibis is very easy every day of the year!

Great news with the Spooners, must be a great sight.

James

Great stuff - one of the highlights of the year seeing the spooners at Rudong this spring; did you ever find out where that green-flagged bird was ringed?

Is there any hope for this site in the long run?

cheers, alan
It's from Chukotka,Russia.
I'm back from my wedding at hometown and will soon leave for Rudong.
On 4 Oct some friends visited there but didnt find Spooner,although they saw one Nordmann's Greenshank.

In Rudong,11 Oct in about 3,000 waders(90% Kentish Plover) we saw two Spooner.
12 Oct in about 16,000 waders at another roost(again 90% Kentish Plover) we saw 1+ Spooner.

In Rudong,16 Oct tide was low. we didnt find large flocks of waders but saw three Spooners feeding together.
17 Oct at the same place we found about 6,000 waders (mainly Kentish Plover) we saw 1+ Spooner.

mcaribou,

Please keep the reports coming. I'm going to be in Shanghai the first week of December, and if there are still spooners still at Rudong that late, I would be very interested in going up to see them.

Jeff

Leaving for China Coastal Waterbird Census Training Seminar in Rudong next 3 days.Hope some of the 60 Chinese birders could find some Spooner!
BTW,4 Spooner were seen on 28 Oct in Rudong.

Last edited:
Leaving for China Coastal Waterbird Census Training Seminar in Rudong next 3 days.Hope some of the 60 Chinese birders could find some Spooner!
BTW,4 Spooner were seen on 28 Oct in Rudong.

Good luck, could be some interesting finds with so many eyes looking!

More eyes indeed brought more Spooner in Rudong.One team saw 5 together,and another team saw 1+.Total number is 6+,31 Oct.

On 5 Nov I went to Rudong.With limited time,I didnt see Spooner.Obviously,there were not so many waders as on 31 Oct.
On 19 Nov,I went there again,without any hope to find Spooner in winter.In high tide I counted a flock of 2,800 waders(90% Dunlin).No Spooner.
When the tide started to go down,and birds came back to feed,it was time to catch up with the bus back to Shanghai.But SURPRISINGLY,I saw 5 Spooner!!!!!
In this warm autumn/winter,there're still some autumn birds such as Lesser Sand Plover.Will they go on south or stay in Rudong for winter?And will Spooner also stay the whole winter?I'll try next month.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back