• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kiskunsag, Hungary (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Just back from my annual outing to E Europe- I must be getting old, because I couldn't quite face the long flog east from Warsaw to Biebrza or the wait on the border with Belarus, so opted for Kiskunsag in Hungary for a few days. A report would be OTT, but here's some notes.

Logistics and timing: Getting in and out was a doddle- evening flights to and fro Budapest, and its only a 45 mins drive between the airport and the top end of Kiskunsag.

I was out there for a long weekend 25th to 28th May, but a week earlier would land you more squarely in migration season. A couple of organised groups I bumped into were scratching about a bit for new entertainment, by their last day. So if repeats of Redfoots, Rollers etc. don't do it for you, then you might want to combine with Bukk Hills etc.

Do you need a local guide? Well no, not essential and it's fun to find your own birds. But on trips like this I like to hook up with a guide for a first day or so, to provide a bit of up-to-date gen and engage with the local scene. Anyway, Dan Bastaja via Attila Steiner was great and very good company to boot. As for accommodation, Kondor Eco-lodge about 15 mins. drive south east of Szabadszallas was perfect for purpose, with birding on the doorstep and various bird tours using it.

Birding was just fine from the public roads, paths and there seemed to be no need to get into the restricted areas. (Blue sign = road is entering park. Blue + red wording= road is entering park, but restricted access, so don't go down it.) Weather was good over the weekend- if wet, some of the bumpier farm roads would soon turn undriveable in a 2WD.

Birding, top half of park, from Bugyi south and west to Apaj: Excellent roadside birding throughout. Great Bustards at distance, but still magnificent. No one special spot for them- just keep scanning all open habitat. Several males in near-full display in arable fields, females popping up here and there in the grass meadows. About 25 seen over the weekend, including a drove of 14 males on my last day. Fields full of Lapwings and Black-tailed Godwits with fledged young, a pair of Stone Curlew and found 2 pairs of Collared Pratincoles apparently fresh-in, also on arable. (I don't know that there have been any Black-winged Pratincoles breeding here over the last few years.) White Storks and parties of Black-headed and Mediterannean Gulls catching insects, including three White-winged Black Terns hawking rather surreally over a gigantic wheatfield, miles from water.

Hedgerows dotted with Tree Sparrow, Yellow Wagtail, Corn Bunting, Lesser Grey Shrike, Red-backed Shrike (although R-b Shrikes seemed a little thin on the ground to me, by E European standards).

Fishponds had decent numbers (10s) of Red-crested Pochard and Ferruginous Duck. No Pygmy Cormorant that I noticed. Fringes and wet ditches full of warblers, Great Reed Warbler noisy and frequent. But also plenty of Savi's and some great views of singing Moustached Warbler, nest-building Penduline Tit. Highlight was Bluethroat- several singing and song-flighting males, including two contesting the same dead bush and singing their heads off in the heat of the noonday sun.

I was expecting (in my ignorance of the area) to bump into more eagles- but maybe its a bit dry for Lesser Spotted Eagle and Eastern Imperial Eagle hasn't recolonised the immediate area yet, though it probably will. So I had to 'make do' on the raptor front with loads of Marsh Harriers and Common Buzzards and the traditional E Europe experience of watching Sakers at long range on pylons (two boxes full of very well-grown chicks). But I did see the female of one pair force a White Stork to the ground when it flapped too close to the nest, which was a grand spectacle. One female-type Pallid Harrier west of Apaj.

Birding, bottom half of park, west and south-west of Szabadszallas: Steppe with scattered bushes and trees, arable mixed in. Roadside birding again, with Rollers frequent and obvious and Red-footed Falcons. I don't know if there are any big Redfoot colonies here, but it was easy enough to find scattered pairs close to the unrestricted roads south and west of Szabadszallas, including one fine clump of poplars with recently fledged Hooded Crows top left, Kestrel nesting in bottom right and two pairs of Red-foots in the middle. So spent hours enjoying the endless calling, skirmishing and general toiing and froing. Plus Bee-eaters fresh-in, still digging nest holes.

2012 had been a very dry spring, so where usually there would be the distraction of flooded meadows, this year there were often dusty bowls. Great White Egret, Purple Heron, Bittern all seen, but the last two not profuse. The main salt lakes were still wet, but parched: Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Garganey, small numbers of plovers and other waders.

A twitch: I'd promised myself I would spend time with Redfoots and all, rather than race about the place, but there was news of a summer plumaged Grey Phalarope joined by a Semipalmated Sandpiper in a two-for-one offer at Czaj-to fishponds, an hour to the south. It would have been rude to refuse, so whizzed down there (journey enlivened by 12 Rose-coloured Starlings in formation alongside the car). Lists are dull reading, but how about this, all at one drained pond:

Semipalmated Sandpiper 1 [fsp]
Grey Phalarope 1 [fsp] (A male, so I still need that trip to Iceland or somewhere...)
Broad-billed Sandpiper 1 [fsp] (A much rarer bird in Hungary than I had realised.)
Curlew Sandpiper 2 [fsp]
Little Stint 12 [fsp]
Turnstone 1
Marsh Sandpiper
Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Avocet etc.etc.

Mammals: Abundant Brown Hares, plenty of Roe Deer, Sousliks in a few places, Muskrat, Stoat. One run-over Hamster, one being swallowed by a Grey Heron. Very impressive grey Hungarian cattle.

Pics: I'm also getting too old/tired/lazy to lug a big lens around, so confined myself to unskilled digiscoping and some desultory sketching. But here's a few record shots and hopefully a painting or two to follow.

Attachments

• q9 550 bull DSCN1557.jpg
    q9 550 bull DSCN1557.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 99
  • q9 550 screenshot_180.jpg
    q9 550 screenshot_180.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 140
  • q9 550 callingDSCN0985.jpg
    q9 550 callingDSCN0985.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 124
  • q9 550 phal DSCN1012.jpg
    q9 550 phal DSCN1012.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 157
  • q9 550 smipDSCN1065.jpg
    q9 550 smipDSCN1065.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 155
Wow, great insight into the country. Have been considering a weekend just to see Sakers. Are they fairly easy to locate?

Love that Bluethroat photo too.

Hope you don't mind me providing this excellent link for the park, with details of nature trails and accommodation towards the bottom...........

http://knp.nemzetipark.gov.hu/index.php?pg=menu_199

Also a guide has created his own and this site shows maps and also a list of key birds........

http://eco-kiskunsag.honlapepito.hu/?modul=oldal&tartalom=1077232

Last edited:
Grey Phalarope 1 [fsp] (A male, so I still need that trip to Iceland or somewhere...)

Sounds like an excellent long weekend, Ed. I really must go back to Hungary, this time as a birder. Funny you should mention Grey Phalarope as I spent an excellent day with two Hungarian birders watching Grey Phalaropes in Iceland a year or two ago. They could have just stayed at home (although we did see a female as well).

Sounds like an excellent long weekend, Ed. I really must go back to Hungary, this time as a birder. Funny you should mention Grey Phalarope as I spent an excellent day with two Hungarian birders watching Grey Phalaropes in Iceland a year or two ago. They could have just stayed at home (although we did see a female as well).

that's a nice little birding twist- its good to be left wanting a little bit more, so I'm kind of pleased I have an outstanding moment of Grey Phal. perfection still to wish for

Wolfbirder- to be honest, whilst Sakers seem to be thriving right into Budapest fringes, just bumping into them might not happen on a flying visit. I would use a guide for Sakers, Imperial Eagle, to make sure of success and also to be sure of not popping up in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I visited Hungary this year for the first time just before Easter. Try http://www.hungarianbirdtours.com/ . Roy the guide is originally from Devon and I can't recommend him highly enough. Excellent guide, just name the species and he knows where they are. Also arranges a very nice hotel for you in Eger. We had a four day trip, landing Thurs early afternoon and flying back late on Sunday, and we birded all the time. Saw a few Eastern Imp Eagles but dipped the Sakers. It was always quite windy when we went in early April. Eight species of Woodpecker! There's a few pages and pics on my blog.

http://njsmith5870.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/clayheads-on-tour-hungary-2012.html

Last edited:
Nice one Nick. The woodpeckers are so tempting too. Some way from Kiskunsag unfortunatley tho I know it is possible to do.

Need a local guide, or not...?

Do you need a local guide? Well no, not essential...

This is always a big dilemma, should I need a local guide, or not?
Well, you usually really do not need a local guide in Hungary, if you are a high-class birder, have a local knowledge, and a lot of time for finding a birds.
If do not have an enough time, probably better to hire a local guide, for making sure a successful birding, and save a time. And maybe money if you rent a car again and again for running after a Saker, or other "easy" species (guiding fee is from 40 euro in Hungary).
We have been in Tunisia without local guide, but we had a desert experience from Morocco. We had a local guide in Morocco for only the Houbara, but spend almost 3 weeks there, what is enough. We also hired a guide in Finland for one day for the key species, like Bluetail. Otherwise the Blutail is an easy species if you know the right place and the sing of the male... But we spend 3 weeks there.
Our next trip will be Egypt in autumn or next spring, and we will have some day local guiding.
Do anybody know an excellent local guide in Egypt?

Good birding!

Nice one Nick. The woodpeckers are so tempting too. Some way from Kiskunsag unfortunatley tho I know it is possible to do.

Hi Nick is there any thread you don't add to??
Try Sakertours, they couldn't use that name and not find sakers for you!!!
3 weeks ago had a great weeks birding with them, up in the Zemplen Hills and then around Hortobagy, missing only those birds that now don't exist in these areas or hadn't come in due to the dry spring (only aquatic warbler and R-B Fly)
regards Dave Jackson ex Wolves birder

Hi Dave

ive only had 1850 posts!!...........but yes I guess its an inditement of my lack of life! :t: (he says sat here with can of beer in hand watching Engerlund!!). I do love this forum I must admit. Brightens up my otherwise drab daily existence.:smoke:

Thanks for that Dave, if possible want to explore by myself but accept will have to use them for Sakers or woodies.

Hi Nick,
Yes I've seen from some of your trip reports you like to seek out yourself but Sakertours website well worth a look and they are very flexible to the customers requirements and know every nest hole, branch and pylon the target birds will be found on. No I'm not on commission just very impressed with their guides, some of whom can whistle the peckers in with perfect imitation calls.
Anyway well done England, a much better performance than of recent and giving fans some hope of progress...
cheers dave

Hi Nick,
Yes I've seen from some of your trip reports you like to seek out yourself but Sakertours website well worth a look and they are very flexible to the customers requirements and know every nest hole, branch and pylon the target birds will be found on. No I'm not on commission just very impressed with their guides, some of whom can whistle the peckers in with perfect imitation calls.
Anyway well done England, a much better performance than of recent and giving fans some hope of progress...
cheers dave

Cheers Dave,

I will ensure I check them out. I do want to limit using guides to as little as possible, even tho I know they can get you straight to the birds and yo end up seeing loads more.

kis balaton

Dear forum members
I note quite a few are knowledgeable about hungarian birding. Do anyone have knowledge or info about which birds can be seen above venue.
I see little indeed online web.
I wanna go their and see some ticks please
Ian

Dear forum members
I note quite a few are knowledgeable about hungarian birding. Do anyone have knowledge or info about which birds can be seen above venue.
I see little indeed online web.
I wanna go their and see some ticks please
Ian

Hi,

Kisbalaton is good for waterfowl mainly (ducks, geese, cormorant). I would recommend Kiskunsag area for birding, much closer to Budapest and much diverse habitats and birds there.

Cheers

Dear Hungarian Birder
Thank you for your kind and helpful reply. However in regard to our stay in Hungary, of necessity we would stay close to Balaton it is not exclusively birding holiday.
In this regard, does anyone please have more detailed info about which species one can search for at Kisbalaton
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back