• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland trip report (part 1) (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Well, here goes. Never done one of these trip reports before so I hope it turns out OK. I am going to follow previous examples and do it in several parts to avoid a long post (and also to keep to the 3 photos a day upload limit, as I intend to link to the images if I can work out the procedure to do so). I will then publish the list of birds in a separate post.

DAY 1:
Spent the morning getting ready and packing the car and trailer and managed to set off about 1pm. As we neared Penrith we saw our first Buzzard soaring above us. The journey was very slow with a few hold ups so we decided to stop for bed and breakfast in Stirling.

DAY 2:
Set off after breakfast, rested and refreshed and headed north on the A9. We arrived at the campsite at about lunchtime. The entry road to the site was past Ross County Football Club and a recreation ground, so we were a little wary of noise and disturbance, but as the football season is over there was no problem at all. The site itself was very pleasant with good facilities and friendly wardens. We began the task of sorting out the pitching of our new tent. It was quite easy really and didn't take too long to set up. The hardest part is filling it with all the equipment that one needs on a camping trip - kitchen, beds, pots and pans, etc. The tent is actually an 8 berth, but we do like plenty of room to relax so it suits us nicely.

We had a few common birds visit us at the site, such as Blue Tit, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Mallard. Some were very bold, especially the juvenile Blackbird, who at one point even came inside the tent to take a look at us. Yes, he pooped on the groundsheet!

In the evening we walked into Dingwall the the Cafe India Brasserie - an excellent Indian restaurant which we vowed to return to before leaving. Back at the site, we decided to go for an evening stroll along the riverbank looking out over Cromarty Firth. We saw Reed Buntings, Swallows, Greenfinches, House Martins and Oystercatchers. This last species became a bit of a nightmare as they tended to fly over the site screeching their alarm call at 3 o'clock every morning. Then the dawn chorus would start! Consequently, we didn't sleep too well.

DAY 3:
Had a drive into Inverness, as we needed some more tent pegs. On the way back we drove along the Black Isle to Cromarty and returned down the other side, stopping at various points along the way to view birds. There were a few Buzzards around and then we spotted our first Red Kite of the holiday circling above. Drove back to site and relaxed. The weather had been a bit showery all day, but the evening was very pleasant.

DAY 4:
Visited Loch Ruthven RSPB reserve and managed to spot the Slavonian Grebes, although getting a photo was a difficult task as they always seemed to be diving whenever I got one in view. There were also plenty of Meadow Pipits about and Goldcrest, Common Sandpiper and Stonechats. Again heard the haunting call of the Curlew then saw one mobbing a Buzzard.

We then drove round to Insh Marshes RSPB reserve, although there was not a lot around. There was a deer and fawn in the distance, although it can't be seen on the photo. It was well hidden in the undergrowth so digiscoped photos were not an option.

Next stop was the fish farm near Aviemore, where several Osprey visit regularly. By this time the weather had deteriorated and rain was definitely coming. We were all ready and waiting in the hide when the heavens opened and we had to sit it out hoping it would stop. All the fishermen had packed up by now and we were just about to go when I saw the Osprey come over the trees and circle the lake. I think the disruption of the water by the rain would have prevented him from seeing anything below the surface, so off he went. We made a dash for the car, but we were absolutely dripping wet when we got there.

When we arrived back at the site it had not been raining there so we walked round to the local hostelry for a pint and a meal. Then to bed - it had been a busy day.

To be continued...

Great stuff - brought back happy memories of a holiday in the same area a couple of years ago. We didn't have much success at Insh Marshes either. Look forward to part 2.

I thought we were greedy having a big 4 man tent for the 2 of us!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back