• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Tries Again for Victory (1 Viewer)

Bill,

Saw those Victories on E Bay myself. However, the photographs suggest that they were V1s - the lugs are the give away.

Still a good price!

Dave

Before I bid I asked the seller whether they have the allen key fitting which does not swivel on it's mounting.

He confirmed this and that is what was on the bins when they arrived... so (according to CJW's description) they should be VII's.

They look and feel good, but I have not had a real chance to try them out.

I will take them for a walk on Sunday and let you know how they perform.

As a Ziess man all the way the Victory Ones didn't give me much to argue against the Swarovski ELs, they kind of got trashed in Birding, and that makes it tough over here in the US. It sounds like I now have the ammunitition. When I do sell a Ziess product over here I always mention that back in Britain all the birders had Ziess.

I'm glad their back, and I loved the comment about Plantagenet.

Just today I discussed how I plan to kit out my Staff Ornithologist with a pair to give them a try. I think I can sell them for around $990 US. Ziess has a minimum advertised price we need to stick to so this is the best price I'm aware of (no California Sales Tax for the UK is good, free shipping). So how close this is to a commercial announcement I don't know being only a sporadic forum member. I have however used Ziess all my life and thus these comments follow that thread.

Yours Rob

CJW -

Regarding your new 10x40 VIIs... where did you buy them (presumably an online resource ?)
Also, a good while back, I had a squint through 8x40 VIs, and thought there was bad colour fringing (think it was yellowish) when viewing telegraph lines, tv aerials etc. against the light. I know this is a feature of roof prisms, but thought this was over the threshold...
Look forward to your comments
Niall

We got them from South West Optics - Steve there is really helpful. It was a combination of online and phoning Steve.
Chris says they are better than anything he has ever used. He has a pair of 21 year old dialyts, friends have Leica etc. which he looked through prior to getting the VII's.

mak said:
O.K. Lets clear this up.
The changes to the Victory 8x40 & 10x40 binoculars are:
Strap holders were changed which makes them more user friendly to hold, (other peoples comments).
The Dioptre adjustment was improved. The rubber armouring is improved. Stray light was reduced to new levels, this is why the report in BVD suggested a change in optics.
Leif mentions the plastic around the eyepiece; Zeiss binoculars are manufactured with high eyepoint eyepieces, which makes them suitable for spectacle and non spectacle wearers, so it would be wrong to manufacture a binocular which could damage spectacles.
I admit to having an interest, but the fact is the Victory binoculars have a transmission of 90% +, which is higher than a number of competitors.
The Victory 10x40 BT* replaced the older 10x40 BGAT* Dialyt, because the Victory binocular uses a different prism system which in turn gives a higher transmission result.

I wonder, could there have been made improvements to the Zeiss Victory(8x40 and 10x40) before the new Victory II came.on the market? I call them Victory II even if that's not the name Zeiss use in Europa.
I ask this for after reading www.betterviewdesired.com/501/index.html i'am a little bit confused.How do i know if i have the first or the second version.
Victory II should be simple to recognize since it have the nwe strap attchment. And does the second version and the Victory II have the same optics?

I have ordered a "new in box" Victory 8x40,33% price reduction,but i'am not sure what version i will get.I suspect them coming from the USA,because the dealer import a lot optics from there.I hope for Victory II !

I own a 8 x 40 Zeiss Victory I, and have no problems with either the swivel strap attachment (which I actually like) or the armor. The glasses are amazingly bright and as sharp as any of the competition. They also have a terrific field of view (wider than both the Leica and the Nikon, for example). The moral for me is to try before you buy, and not to believe everything in the reviews!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back