• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Following on from rain overnight there will be further rain this morning before giving way to sunshine and showers this afternoon. This, combined with an easterly wind, should hopefully produce some excitment eg Arctic Terns (birds at Westwood last evening and Bittell this morning).

To paraphrase Mr Benn " And as if by magic, the Arctic Terns appear"

Two over the Moors Pool as per Dave Jackson

Obviously the inclement weather is a bit late coming, but the Met Office have updated the warning...
"Yellow Warning of Rain for West Midlands : Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, West Midlands Conurbation, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Telford and Wrekin & Stoke-on-Trent valid from 1140 Wed 18 Apr to 2100 Wed 18 Apr" and if you could see the massive black cloud that I'm staring at to the south of Malvern you'd take cover...

Quote from the Met Office web page: "Bands of heavy showers will affect parts of southern England, the Midlands and southeast Wales today. During this afternoon in particular some heavy slow-moving downpours are likely, accompanied locally by hail and thunder. The public should be aware that localised surface water flooding may occur (Hoorah - SJV), leading to difficult driving conditions. In addition, road conditions could be temporarily slippery in any heavy hail showers. The showers should gradually ease this evening."
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you're doing Phil. You're using your Roseate-tinted spectacles to Sandwich in another Tern species - al Little known but un-Bridled tactic! :smoke:

I'll get my coat...

Last edited:
I can add at the Moors: Little Grebe, C. Snipe, 2 Kingfishers Chasing each other, at one stage there were 5 Oycs one of which was chased off. Starlings 3, Treecreeper.

Images of: Black Tailed Godwit. Heron with sizeable catch (Roach?) which was pinched off it by a Carrion Crow!
Evidence that Sy V's Yellow rain warning was accurate! I haven't added any Saturation! (Photographers Joke;) )

Rob
Nice pics Rob, best for me clearly the bright Godwit pic.
And I always thought you'd use a prime lens...

Notable on the Moors today besides already mentioned L. Gull, A. Terns 3 & C. Tern 1 which had increased to 3 as I left. Sedge Warbler in Front of Water Rail & Bittern hides. Water Rail flew right across all the reed beds in front WR hide. 5 Greylag. C. Snipe. Green Woodpecker. Buzzard 2. Male & female Blackcap showed in front of Bittern hide.

5 of the six Terns on the rail.

Attachments

• _ROB0223.jpg
    _ROB0223.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 79
  • _ROB0179 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0179 - Version 2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 106
Notable on the Moors today besides already mentioned L. Gull, A. Terns 3 & C. Tern 1 which had increased to 3 as I left. Sedge Warbler in Front of Water Rail & Bittern hides. Water Rail flew right across all the reed beds in front WR hide. 5 Greylag. C. Snipe. Green Woodpecker. Buzzard 2. Male & female Blackcap showed in front of Bittern hide.

5 of the six Terns on the rail.

Nice shot Rob - good to see the comparison of the leg length between the 3 Arctics on the left and the two Commons on the right. Shame you couldnt have had the Little Gull sitting between them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back