• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan Birding (12 Viewers)

One of the destinations we got to in early August was Litang Grasslands. This is an area of high 4000m grassland close to the present day border of Tibet.
Litang town is famous for its horse racing festival - but an anti-government demo in 2007 means that these have been since been closed. However this news seems to be hidden, and tours of the area still advertise the now non-existant horse event. During our visit their were many foreigners looking for the race-track - they must have been a little disappointed to say the least!!!!

In such situations its good to be a birder, since we can divert our energies out onto the grasslands and go after all the useful species that are found in this area. This is another good site to get sought after ticks like Chinese Grey Shrike, Hume's Groundpecker and Tibetan Lark. One of the interesting birds of the river is Ibisbill. We mainly found this bird in areas that had been dredged for stone and shingle to be used for cement and building purposes - maybe, like Little Ringed Plover back home, a species that can benefit from gravel extraction.

The fist picture shows one of our Litang Ibisbill.

That second pic is another species we found on the river - a Bar-headed Goose family - doing some fast-web work while swimming away from the camera.

Tibetan Snowfinch is common in this area - this is a bird without the black chin patch - many birds adult and imm. were not showing this feature.

An odd species to find a 4000m - a Yellow Bittern - which had recently become roadkill.

An finally the watchers - Himalayan Marmot - you're never alone on the grasslands!!!!!!!
PS - that last pic also indicates how the grasslands are full of flowers during the summer months.

Attachments

• ibisbill.jpg
    ibisbill.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 121
  • bar-headed goose.jpg
    bar-headed goose.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Tibetan Snowfinch.jpg
    Tibetan Snowfinch.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 103
  • yellow bittern.jpg
    yellow bittern.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 116
  • marmots 3.jpg
    marmots 3.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hi Meggie & Sid

Good that you found some of the Bar-headed Geese in this area. I was desperately looking for some geese and ducks on the rivers and lakes in Kham this summer - but without success. Thought that there should be some around.

The Ibisbill has good chances to return to its place in Tagong/Xinduqiao again, since the road works and gravel digging have finished recently, and - as you said - Ibisbill kind of likes those gravel pits as long as water is halfway clear.

I also like the picture of the Tibetan Snow Finch. Sometimes it is really hard to make out a single bird amongst a big flock of Plain-backed or Brandt's mountain finches. Especially, if missing all the significant features (such as the black chin patch) on young birds!
I had a flock of about 500 birds Plain-backed just two weeks ago in Ganze, but couldn't find any other birds amongst it. Anyway, never have seen such a big flock in summer!

I am still curious about the ID of that warbler I posted pictures of a few posts ago. Do you have any IDea?

Roland

Another 'WANTED'
I still have another animal which I don't have an ID of. Locals called it wild cow, but the horns look like those of a goat/gorral. In the same place half an hour age we heard a typical call of a dear and saw its foot prints...
Please see attachment
Any suggestions from anyone?
Roland

Attachments

• Monster.JPG
    Monster.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Monster(2).jpg
    Monster(2).jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 171
Thank you for the picture of my relatives from China, it is good to see them again ;)

Do you have any more of these to put in the gallery.

Attachments

• marmots%203.jpg
    marmots%203.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 102
Definitely a Chinese Serow - mega mammal to see, especially views like that. I have only ever seen them once, at Mengbishan.

Your warbler appears to be a Greenish Warbler. The bird shows a small bill, no central crown stripe, a second, poorly defined wing-bar and a greyish-green crown.

cheers,

James

Yeps that's Chinese Serow - we've had that strange beasty a couple of times this year. As for the Warbler - it sometimes pays to play them a call to see if you can elicit the kind of response that takes away any ID doubts. My MP3's have had a lot of use this season!!!!!!!

Marmot it's our pleasure to provide you with more marmots - here's another pic of these nosy rodents.

And our mystery creature - a snake - a high altitude specimen, taken at over 3000m. With its "false Cobra" neck this looks like a species of Rhabdophis (Keelback) - but the only pic we can find on the net is that of Tiger Keelback - and it ain't that snake!!!!!

I'll put it up on the Snake thread to see if anybody knows there.

Attachments

• marmots.jpg
    marmots.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 107
  • snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 124
MArmot
Thanks for the ID and the link.
I was so occupied with "it-isn't-a-goral" so that I forgot that there is still another ungulate inhabiting the mountains of Sichuan...

I also didn't expect it in such a high altitude (4700m asl !).

James
Thanks for the Warbler ID.
I really tried to get away from my just-a-warbler attitude this summer. But, it is really hard work...
Luckily most of the warblers are not quite shy. They offer enough chances to look at them for longer than just a few seconds...

Roland

Last edited:
Roland,

You would be surprised - with an open mind the warblers of Sichuan can be made relatively straight forward, even when not vocalising. My best advise is to watch singing birds, that you can id from vocalisations, very carefully, look at the shape of the bird, extent of wing-bar (if present), size of supercillium, crown colour (if, Buff-barred is noticeably grey), is there a hint of a central crown stripe (ie, Hume's does, Greenish doesn't).

If you jot down this suite of characters generally you can pin them down, or at least down to 1-2 species - the more you study singing birds, the more the situation becomes clearer, and from then you can move onto identifying silent birds.
It is often the little things that eventually become obvious - ie, the dark rear ear-coverts on a Sichuan Leaf Warbler, grey-crown of a Buff-barred or the huge supercillium in front of the eye on a Chinese Leaf Warbler. A bird with a wing-bar but no central crown-stripe has to be a Greenish or Large-billed - note the speckled ear-coverts of the latter.
Unfortunately I still haven't mastered the differences between Claudia's and Kloss's Leaf Warbler (though Kloss's is a sub-tropical species so is only south of Chengdu in the mid-elevations) but am starting to get to grips with the rather subtle plumages of Emei Leaf Warbler - note the shape and colour of the super, width of wing-bars.

Behaviour is often a help, though not conclusive. For instance, Greenish Warblers love feeding low-down, sometimes even on the ground, as do Tickell's (which is now Alpine LW in Sichuan).

Hopefully you'll really get into them - I'm fascinated by them (perhaps too much so!) and the seicercus warblers, sad times!

Cheers,

James

James

Many thanks for your advice and help!
One step further in my aim of this year!

Now, Summer is almost over and the warblers will come down to lower elevations again. I am looking forward to my next trips around Chengdu - no need to drive so far into the mountains.

Sometimes it also happens that there is not sufficient reference material available. Images are quite OK at OBC, but voice recordings are not so easy to find.

For instance, I recorded the voice of a warbler which I couldn't find neither on my own list nor at xeno-canto.org

I attached an mp3 file.
Actually, it was a quite common call between 3000m and 4000m.

All the best
Roland

Attachments

• Warbler.MP3
    418.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi Roland,

I'm eager to listen (though may not be able to help with id), but can't open the file. Could you try to attach it again (slightly different way?)? Hopefully...

Hi Roland - the MP3 plays on my computer - that's the call of Large-billed Leaf Warbler. The song of this Warbler - of course being very different to the call - is one of the characteristic sounds of many Sichuan birding sites.

Last edited:
I can't believe it!
I saw a Large-billed Leaf Warbler in the bushes where the call came from. But I was sure that there still must have been another bird, since I only connected Large-billed with its very distinctive song: düüd did-did düd-düd
Thanks for the delight!!!

Gretchen,
I think you first have to download the mp3 file and then you can open it with windows media player.
I attached it again.

Attachments

• Warbler.MP3
    418.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Be careful of those Greenish Warblers (Phylloscopus trochiloides) with two bars - some twitchers are anxious to list them as a seperate species - Two-barred Warbler (Phylloscpopus plumbeitarus).
Mark Brazil in Birds of East Asia - tentatively goes half way to making it a species by listing and illustrating the bird separately from Greenish and giving it the title - Two-barred Greenish Warbler, Phylloscopus (trochiloides) plumbeitarus
However OBC - still lists the two birds birds under Greenish.

That Mark Brazil book - although not including our part of China - still makes a good reference work for most of the Phyllo warblers that are found in Sichuan - the plates are far better and more detailed than MacK.

As for the photos - since plumage differences between species can be so subtle - you sometimes have to watch out for them. Here is an example of one of our own pics of that plumbeitarus version of Greenish Warbler - taken in shade, against the light, the finished image has the given the bird a yellowish hue - which being a photographic aberration, isn't how the bird should really look.

Attachments

• greenish.jpg
    greenish.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 118
Gretchen,
I think you first have to download the mp3 file and then you can open it with windows media player.
I attached it again.

Thanks, saving it and then playing it helped. It does seem like a fairly distinctive call. Thanks for sharing - it's a nice way for me to become more aware of the warblers' songs and calls.

We're up and running again with our Sichuan bird site on Blogspot - http://sichuanbirds.blogspot.com/ - and it's sister site on Sichuan travel - http://chengdutravel.blogspot.com/
I'm afraid if you're in China there can still be difficulties with getting into these sites.

The latest article at Sichuan birds is about Litang Grasslands - which is, after around 10 hours driving west from Chengdu, where the road splits in two directions - one to Tibet and Lhasa the other to NW Yunnan.

Here are four more pics from the area -
The first is of a bird favorite - Hume's Ground Tit. I used to enjoy telling people that this bird was a miniature crow - but those DNA spoilsports have now linked it closest to the Tits. An odd feature for such a small passerine is that it digs its own nest tunnel.

Second pic is Black Redstart - these birds are locally abundant at certain grassland areas - the grasslands of Litang being one of these. We always have problems getting decent shots of this flighty bird - but in this photo we're edging towards a better result.

One of our next projects is to improve our flower recognition abilities - which will come in useful on the flower rich high grasslands. Here are two flowers from around Litang.

That first is a Gentian belonging to the Swertia family - but haven't yet been able to pin it down to a specific species.

However that second flower has been nailed - its a type of Aster - Cremanthodium linaere.

During our last trip to Yunnan - which seems to be a center of Chinese botanical research - we were able to pic up two good flower id books and one on edible fungus.

Attachments

• Groundpecker 700.jpg
    Groundpecker 700.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Black Redstart 700.jpg
    Black Redstart 700.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Swertia 700.jpg
    Swertia 700.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Cremanthodium lineare 700.jpg
    Cremanthodium lineare 700.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Sid,

The Greenish Warblers with two wing-bars in Sichuan are just standard Greenish Warblers and not Two-barred Warblers - song and call (two, not three syllable) is different, just a bit of variation within the race that occurs in central China, just to confuse the issue...

James

Sid,
The Greenish Warblers with two wing-bars in Sichuan are just standard Greenish Warblers and not Two-barred Warblers - song and call (two, not three syllable) is different, just a bit of variation within the race that occurs in central China, just to confuse the issue...
James

James: are you saying that there are Greenish with two wing bars that are Greenish, two-barred warblers that are Two-barred warblers and, presumably, one barred Greenish?! Ie. a variation amongst Greenish that is confusable with Two-barred?
I note that the new Collins has Two-barred as a sub-sp. and suggests that the voice might "even be trisyllabic."

And then, if we get a warbler with two wing bars of this type in the UK as a vagrant, is it the variant of Greenish, or a Two-barred?

Yours in confusion...H.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back