• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

If you have read your emails tonight you may understand that I am not in love with the place (or more particularly those alledgely managing it) at the mo :-C

I had indeed read your e-mail, and also now Gert's. Dependent on how things go over the next few weeks there may be more ... :C

I had indeed read your e-mail, and also now Gert's. Dependent on how things go over the next few weeks there may be more ... :C

Not privy to these emails of course but I can guess something of what this is all about and have to say I'm very concerned. I hope some the UW regulars are not planning to bail out. The enthusiasm and knowledge of the regulars at UW and their willingness to share that knowledge and enthusiasm with newcomers, bystanders, tourists, passers-by and anyone else in the vicinity is what sets UW apart.

More importantly it seems to me that they also bring that knowledge and enthusiasm to bear on the management of the habitat to greatly enhance the success of the reserve in the very reason for its existence.

I certainly hope you all don't let a temporary glitch (however avoidable and frustrating) deter you from the path of righteousness. Just think what would happen if there was no-one to keep the trust focussed ;) Their focus may appear short-sighted at times but at least someone is reminding them they should have gone to specsavers!

Paul

PS - Where IS the BITTERN!!!?

Not privy to these emails of course but I can guess something of what this is all about and have to say I'm very concerned. I hope some the UW regulars are not planning to bail out. The enthusiasm and knowledge of the regulars at UW and their willingness to share that knowledge and enthusiasm with newcomers, bystanders, tourists, passers-by and anyone else in the vicinity is what sets UW apart.

More importantly it seems to me that they also bring that knowledge and enthusiasm to bear on the management of the habitat to greatly enhance the success of the reserve in the very reason for its existence.

I certainly hope you all don't let a temporary glitch (however avoidable and frustrating) deter you from the path of righteousness. Just think what would happen if there was no-one to keep the trust focussed ;) Their focus may appear short-sighted at times but at least someone is reminding them they should have gone to specsavers!

Paul

Wise words Paul
I will PM you
I'm going nowhere:t:

re Tufted
just had a text from Alan G from Hewell grange to say they have got 30+ tufted on the lake there. This is only 4 miles away from Upton, so that's where our birds are.:-C

Paul

Hi Paul - as you have intimated there is a lot going on in the background!

I dont believe my commitment to the reserve (and others in my position) has changed; we remain passionate about squeezing the maximum value out of the limited resources we have available. The VOLUNTEER work parties have gone from strength to strength in the last two or three years (not doubt aided by the extra dimension that Bird Forum gives us to advertise the events and explain what we are doing and why - thanks BF :t:); their value lies in the fact that they are run and attended by VOLUNTEERS who watch the reserve on a day by day, year by year basis, know and understand Upton Warren, the way birds (and other animals) interact with it and the value of each segment of the reverse, down to individual bushes and trees in some instances. We are never afraid to try something new to extract every last drop of benefit from the land we have or take advice and suggestions from all who attend. I am hoping for an excellent turn-out at the next Flashes work party on the 8th January when we will continue the scrub management work along the hedgeline, around the feeding station and hopefully around the bramble patch near the steps.

I dont think my resignation as a voluntary warden will make a single iota of difference; they never listened in the first place :C

Phil

Paul

Hi Paul,

Phil is right, we'll all still be there doing what we always do come the work-parties (or any time in between if something needs doing). Having got such a fantastic group of people involved in the work (c.35 in total this winter I think) there is more cause for celebration than anything else.

See you an 8th Jan if not before.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Paul - as you have intimated there is a lot going on in the background!

I dont believe my commitment to the reserve (and others in my position) has changed; we remain passionate about squeezing the maximum value out of the limited resources we have available. The VOLUNTEER work parties have gone from strength to strength in the last two or three years (not doubt aided by the extra dimension that Bird Forum gives us to advertise the events and explain what we are doing and why - thanks BF :t:); their value lies in the fact that they are run and attended by VOLUNTEERS who watch the reserve on a day by day, year by year basis, know and understand Upton Warren, the way birds (and other animals) interact with it and the value of each segment of the reverse, down to individual bushes and trees in some instances. We are never afraid to try something new to extract every last drop of benefit from the land we have or take advice and suggestions from all who attend. I am hoping for an excellent turn-out at the next Flashes work party on the 8th January when we will continue the scrub management work along the hedgeline, around the feeding station and hopefully around the bramble patch near the steps.

I dont think my resignation as a voluntary warden will make a single iota of difference; they never listened in the first place :C

Phil

Thanks for the clarification, that's reassuring.

Green Sandpiper landed briefly in front of the east hide on the moors.

42+ Redpolls feeding in trees around the Hen Pool earlier.

Edit: Adult Great Black-backed Gull landed briefly on moors, had a wash then flew south.

Last edited:
half a million

This thread was started in September 2003.
The 2nd post was almost 6 years later, when Craig added to it on Aug 3rd 2009.
In the intervening 2 and a bit years Half a Million posts have been added.
I am not sure if The Admin of Bird Forum monitor this, but I would say that must be an impressive amount of posts. Considering Upton's location, in the middle of an agriculturalised county in the middle of the country, that not a bad effort. :t:

ps has anybody had a problem getting on here in the last 24 hours? I have had to get on via my MSN site.
B :)John

To add to Dave's sightings of Yesterday (Sat 10th Dec) Shoveler 15, Teal 65+, Fufted 6, Coot 180+, Snipe at least 12 showing well in front of east hide on near bank below. One was also in front of the west hide with a water rail.
Also a good number of redwing feeding on hawthorn at the hen pool

Last edited:
I could only manage a flying visit this morning......

3 female blackcaps on the moors along the causeway and in the apple tree by the chestnut were notable.

A Pochard was on the moors (didn't see one yesterday). Grey Wagtail over.

17 Greylags with Canadas by Hobden Hall.

40 - 50 Lesser Redpolls in birches behind the hen pool again.

Constant stream of large gulls over in small groups - with a couple of dozen Herrings amongst them.

I could only manage a flying visit this morning......

3 female blackcaps on the moors along the causeway and in the apple tree by the chestnut were notable.

A Pochard was on the moors (didn't see one yesterday). Grey Wagtail over.

17 Greylags with Canadas by Hobden Hall.

40 - 50 Lesser Redpolls in birches behind the hen pool again.

Constant stream of large gulls over in small groups - with a couple of dozen Herrings amongst them.

Good numbers of Lesser Redpoll over the last few days; hopefully they will start to come a bit closer to allow grilling for a Mealy (or even an Arctic).

Dave's GBBG yesterday was the 16th bird for the year (recorded on 12 different dates)which must be close to a record for this species.

Good numbers of Lesser Redpoll over the last few days; hopefully they will start to come a bit closer to allow grilling for a Mealy (or even an Arctic).

Dave's GBBG yesterday was the 16th bird for the year (recorded on 12 different dates)which must be close to a record for this species.

The Upstart spotted it first so it wasn't really 'my' GBBG, Phil. ;)

Certainly has been a great year for them though - I must've seen at least half a dozen of them compared to none last year.

Last edited:

There is a grim inevitability about what is coming next; just a little chart that demonstrates that 2011 has indeed been the most productive year for GBB Gulls since the writing of an annual report commenced in 1984:

Attachments

• GBBG 84-11.jpg
    GBBG 84-11.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 73
Went down for the last two & a half hours or so today. A fleeting visit to the flashes produced Black-heads, Lapwing, Teal and Mallard in small numbers plus the fact that one of the screening posts had snapped and two fence panels are down on the approach to the Tortoise Hide ;)

The Moors Pool was relatively bird-filled, although most of them were Coots (196). There were 13 Shovelers, five Tufted Ducks, c.15 Teal, 19 Cormorants, two Little Grebes and two Mute Swans. The only waders noted, as I only went to the west hide, were 12-13 Curlews and 30+ Lapwings. A Peregrine drifted south. The feeding station was pretty busy, but there was nothing of real note - a Greenfinch and 3-4 Reed Buntings being the best and a Song Thrush the most unusual. The only large gull seen was a 2nd winter Herring Gull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back