• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bodrum, Turkey 1- 8/6/15 (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Just a few quick notes regarding a week spent in Bodrum on a largely non birdy holiday. The resort itself is highly developed and actually finding suitable birding habitat was difficult, those bits that I did find where mainly sun-baked scrubby hillsides with low thorny scrub.

I tried on several occasions at dawn and in the evenings to find something interesting but with only partial success. Within the town itself House Sparrows, Greenfinch, Collared Dove, Blackbird, Jackdaw and Hooded Crow were regular while three species of hirundine including Red-rumped Swallow were quite common. Around the coast Y.L and Audouin's Gull and Shag were all seen with the former being common.

Scarcer species found amongst the scrub included Ruppell's and Sardinian Warbler, Crested Lark, Little Owl, Black-eared Wheatear and Great Tit ( scarce here!) and not much else. A few other species were seen around the area with a lifer Rock Nuthatch being the best although Olivaceous Warbler, Masked Shrike and Peregrine weren't bad.

So a total of 25 species and all but 3 I've seen in the U.K ( the Nuthatch, Wheatear and O. Warbler being the exceptions), not great by any means. There does appear to be good habitat between the resort and the airport and any future visit not involving significant wedding anniversary related stuff will certainly take in further investigation of this.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back