• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good Day's Birding in cleveland (1 Viewer)

Hello
I didnt see any of you as i didnt get out till 2 this afternoon & Only got as far as North Tees Marshes !
(There was a co-operative beauty Wood Sandpiper at Port Clarence.)

Theres been some decent birds in that area recently, Green winged Teal, Osprey, Grt White Egret, Spoonbill.......what next........?any Predictions....?

Continuing the Geography.............
....If you go through Langley Park (on the way to Memphis.... perhaps....?) you might drive through a place called Quebec, about 18 miles from Michael Frankis.

Hope everyone had a good day.
SE.

Hi Stevie,

I saw the report of the Wood Sand but the location was vague. Can you describe where it was? They normally turn up on Back Saltholme in the small bay to the left of the fence by the track.

As regards birds returning at the moment I'd settle for an Egret or two and the Marsh Harriers which I have yet to see down there this year.

The LEO's are still about hunting sometimes lunchtime, but more of an evening.

Suggested Route

Hello all

This is aimed primarily at Jayuk, both Steve's and IanF, and possibly Michael - what I am after is a suggested route in the Teeside/Cleveland area. I plan to have a look up that way in 2 weeks (next week is Nightjar hunt and family weekend).

Please put any suggestions either on here, or PM me. I'm looking for roads/directions as well as site locations, and a suggested route travelling south from Sunderland on A19. I have a limited knowledge (gleaned from Durham Bird club site) of the area and so called "hotspots" - so any assistance will be greatly received.

Just trying to boost the total;-)

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
Quacker said:
Hello all

This is aimed primarily at Jayuk, both Steve's and IanF, and possibly Michael - what I am after is a suggested route in the Teeside/Cleveland area. I plan to have a look up that way in 2 weeks (next week is Nightjar hunt and family weekend).

Please put any suggestions either on here, or PM me. I'm looking for roads/directions as well as site locations, and a suggested route travelling south from Sunderland on A19. I have a limited knowledge (gleaned from Durham Bird club site) of the area and so called hotspots" - so any assistance will be greatly received.

Regards

Steve
Hi Quacker,

That's the wrong way (literally!!) to go about it . . . ;)

On leaving home, turn NORTH (not south!), cross the Tyne Bridge so you're in a better land o:), and then, the choices are huge . . . what birds haven't you seen?

Michael

Oh you know me Michael? - I only need one or two more, however, I've seen so many duplicates, I've now been reduced to collecting them with the Tees-side accent. Hence my recent trip to Bempton for them Gannets & Puffins. They were of the Yorkshire Variety Sula bassana tykus and of course Fratercula arctica ilkleymoorus. :clap:

No favouritism here like ;)

Quacker said:
Hello all

Please put any suggestions either on here, or PM me. I'm looking for roads/directions as well as site locations, and a suggested route travelling south from Sunderland on A19. I have a limited knowledge (gleaned from Durham Bird club site) of the area and so called "hotspots" - so any assistance will be greatly received.

Regards

Steve

In brief I'd head down the A19 to Castle Eden and take the B1281 to Blackhall Colliery and turn right down the A1086 for about 3 miles until you reach Crimdon Dene and the entrance to the Caravan Park just before the bridge. Turn in left and follow the road over the speed humps as far as it will go. Even drive through the 'Access only' signs and follow the road right along the cliff top until you come to the Riding School. Park on the left and then follow the path down to the stream. It's worth going upstream to check out the Dene, especially the left side all the way up to the bridge and back. Then retrace the route to the Dene mouth for some very good birds on the beach - both in the scrub and on the shoreline.

Head back to the car and continue south a couple of miles into Hartlepool. At the second roundabout turn left taking the A1049 signposted for The Headland. Keep going about 2 miles until you reach a T junction with the A1048 and turn left for a half mile and then turn left again onto Thorpe Street. The road leads you up a hill to Marine Drive and the Headland Promenade overlooking Parton Rocks. Turn right and I usually park up at a couple of places here by the paths that lead you down to the lower promenade. Very good for close views of shore birds. You can then follow the road and on reaching it's end turn left to the lighthouse, a popular place for sea watchers. Parking is free and a little walk either left or right to check out the rocks is worth doing, especially if you head right for half a mile passing the Heugh breakwater as there is a patch of rocks on the harbour side that holds quite a few birds. The Headland area itself is known for being a migrant fall spot and there are several nooks and crannies but hardly worth checking at the moment (famous last words) - likewise the Fish Quay which has yielded a few rare Gulls.

I'd be inclined to retrace your steps to get back onto the A1048 and head towards Hartlepool. On reaching the town itself having driven past Jacksons Landing follow the road signs for the A178 and Seaton Carew - the grassed area on the left and right often hold waders at high tide. Carry on through Seaton until you reach a couple of stone gate posts on your left just after the golf course. Turn left into there and follow the track to North Gare. Seaton Common is to the left and right and often holds interesting birds. Likewise walking along to North Gare breakwater, especially at low tide. The beaches to the north hold nesting Terns.

Head back to the A1048 and turn left and after a couple of hundred yards turn left again - Zinc Works Road - one of my favourite and most productive birding areas, though as anywhere it can be hit and miss. Check out both sides of the road through it's length and park at the end and walk to the beach.

Head back to the A1048 and turn left again keeping going for a couple of miles and you reach Greatham Creek. Pull off the road or use the car park just after the bridge. Seals from the bridge along with waders upstream. Downstream a roadside pool holds nesting Tern and LR Plover plus a few unusual birds popping in. You can also walk down to the hide at Teesmouth for views over the 'seal sands' mudflats. If you have time you can head south from the hide along the Long Drag for another though less productive hide. There are reed beds to the left and scrub and ponds on the right - often good early mornings.

Head back to the car and continue along the A1048 straight over the roundabout and after the fire station you drive between Saltholme Ponds. lay-bys at the far end are good for parking in. Apart from the obvious water birds, keep an eye open for SEO and LEO especially in the evenings, though they can be seen through the day too.

Back in the car and take the next left. Drive over the level crossing and on your left is Dormans Pond. There is a car park and a decent hide but it's kept locked for use by Teesmouth Bird Club. Dormans can be viewed from the road with scope. Another track on the left after the pond leads you to a high point - again TBC members only - but proper birders aren't usually challenged. From the parking area by the gates you can also scan Reclamation Pond - also pretty good for rarities.

Head back to the A1048 and turn left after the Fire Station along the A1184/5 (depending on what map you read). After about 3 miles the road crosses a railway line. Next right is Cowpen Bewley Wildlife Park - my local patch. A pleasant short walk over to the main pond can be rewarding.

From the car park turn right onto the main road which leads you to the A689 and then the A19 to head home!

A lot for a day but Crimdon Dene - Hartlepool Headland - Saltholme Ponds should yield plenty to see. Loads of other spots north and south of the river too!.

Last edited:
IanF said:
In brief I'd head down the A19 to Castle Eden and take the B1281 to Blackhall Colliery and turn right down the A1086 for about 3 miles until you reach Crimdon Dene and the entrance to the Caravan Park just before the bridge. Turn in left and follow the road over the speed humps as far as it will go. Even drive through the 'Access only' signs and follow the road right along the cliff top until you come to the Riding School. Park on the left and then follow the path down to the stream. It's worth going upstream to check out the Dene, especially the left side all the way up to the bridge and back. Then retrace the route to the Dene mouth for some very good birds on the beach - both in the scrub and on the shoreline.

Head back to the car and continue south a couple of miles into Hartlepool. At the second roundabout turn left taking the A1049 signposted for The Headland. Keep going about 2 miles until you reach a T junction with the A1048 and turn left for a half mile and then turn left again onto Thorpe Street. The road leads you up a hill to Marine Drive and the Headland Promenade overlooking Parton Rocks. Turn right and I usually park up at a couple of places here by the paths that lead you down to the lower promenade. Very good for close views of shore birds. You can then follow the road and on reaching it's end turn left to the lighthouse, a popular place for sea watchers. Parking is free and a little walk either left or right to check out the rocks is worth doing, especially if you head right for half a mile passing the Heugh breakwater as there is a patch of rocks on the harbour side that holds quite a few birds. The Headland area itself is known for being a migrant fall spot and there are several nooks and crannies but hardly worth checking at the moment (famous last words) - likewise the Fish Quay which has yielded a few rare Gulls.

I'd be inclined to retrace your steps to get back onto the A1048 and head towards Hartlepool. On reaching the town itself having driven past Jacksons Landing follow the road signs for the A178 and Seaton Carew - the grassed area on the left and right often hold waders at high tide. Carry on through Seaton until you reach a couple of stone gate posts on your left just after the golf course. Turn left into there and follow the track to North Gare. Seaton Common is to the left and right and often holds interesting birds. Likewise walking along to North Gare breakwater, especially at low tide. The beaches to the north hold nesting Terns.

Head back to the A1048 and turn left and after a couple of hundred yards turn left again - Zinc Works Road - one of my favourite and most productive birding areas, though as anywhere it can be hit and miss. Check out both sides of the road through it's length and park at the end and walk to the beach.

Head back to the A1048 and turn left again keeping going for a couple of miles and you reach Greatham Creek. Pull off the road or use the car park just after the bridge. Seals from the bridge along with waders upstream. Downstream a roadside pool holds nesting Tern and LR Plover plus a few unusual birds popping in. You can also walk down to the hide at Teesmouth for views over the 'seal sands' mudflats. If you have time you can head south from the hide along the Long Drag for another though less productive hide. There are reed beds to the left and scrub and ponds on the right - often good early mornings.

Head back to the car and continue along the A1048 straight over the roundabout and after the fire station you drive between Saltholme Ponds. lay-bys at the far end are good for parking in. Apart from the obvious water birds, keep an eye open for SEO and LEO especially in the evenings, though they can be seen through the day too.

Back in the car and take the next left. Drive over the level crossing and on your left is Dormans Pond. There is a car park and a decent hide but it's kept locked for use by Teesmouth Bird Club. Dormans can be viewed from the road with scope. Another track on the left after the pond leads you to a high point - again TBC members only - but proper birders aren't usually challenged. From the parking area by the gates you can also scan Reclamation Pond - also pretty good for rarities.

Head back to the A1048 and turn left after the Fire Station along the A1184/5 (depending on what map you read). After about 3 miles the road crosses a railway line. Next right is Cowpen Bewley Wildlife Park - my local patch. A pleasant short walk over to the main pond can be rewarding.

From the car park turn right onto the main road which leads you to the A689 and then the A19 to head home!

A lot for a day but Crimdon Dene - Hartlepool Headland - Saltholme Ponds should yield plenty to see. Loads of other spots north and south of the river too!.

Thanks Ian, will certainly use up my next free day - all copied, pasted and in my "must get round to" list - a list which grows daily by the way, in no small way aided and abetted by Michael's prompting me to "go north young man".

My birding skills may be lacking, especially i.d. skills, but my local geography and driving skills are improving by the minute. My new car's mileage likewise (if improving is the correct word)

Regards

Steve

Quacker said:
Thanks Ian, will certainly use up my next free day - all copied, pasted and in my "must get round to" list - a list which grows daily by the way, in no small way aided and abetted by Michael's prompting me to "go north young man".

My birding skills may be lacking, especially i.d. skills, but my local geography and driving skills are improving by the minute. My new car's mileage likewise (if improving is the correct word)

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve, Ian couldn't have put all them sites in any better order, i'm sure you'll have a good day with all those

Hi Ian
I did send 'better' directions to 'birdguides'...but they allways seem to edit all the info down. (pretty pointless when its supposed to be an Information Service !!)

Heading North out of Port Clarence, the WoodSand was on the LHS (west )
oppisite the 'Calor Gas Pool'.

(Its pretty much the first bit of 'wet' about 150m out from P.Clarence, well before the B.Salt Triangle.)

Stevie.

Quacker

Have you familiarised yourself with the array of Gateshead /Derwent Valley birding sites ?

Your local area would beat Teeside/Cleveland for Quality of Birding 9 times out of 10 ! ;)

Take No Notice of Michael Frankis.
For a start hes half Scots by location & His bins are 2 toilet roll holders sellotaped together . :h?:

Visit your Doctor for a check up prior to heading down that A19.... It takes several years to build up a resistance to the effects of smog, er sorry i mean air down there !

Although outside the specific area you request i would turn off at either Castle Eden or Hawthorn Denes early in the day, perhaps on the way down? for a wide variety of Woodland/ Scrub/Farmland species. With migrants at appropriate times.

Enjoy & Keep in County Durham...Englands Premier Birding County!

Regards Stevie. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back