• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Oxford (1 Viewer)

Hello, I have just joined the bird forum. I live in Oxford and love bird watching. Unfortunately I don't get much time what with work and kids etc. to make up for little time, my passion is going to the south of spain to the Coto de Donana. I first went there about 5 years ago and I loved it so much I've been going there two to three times a year. It's just brilliant for birdwatching.

I find it so rewarding in terms of birds. I have a house just outside the village of Hinojos and because it's surrounded by umbrella pines you are guaranteed to see flocks of iberian (aka azure-winged) magpies, short toed tree creepers, crested tits and hoopoes and that's just within the immediate vicinity of the house. A short drive to the Northern marshes regularly throws up magnificent sights. One of my favourite sights is the black shouldered kites. I never tire of seeing them and can fairly regularly see them together with other mega raptors like booted eagles, short toed eagles, ospreys, marsh harriers, monty's harriers amd peregrines.

I have to confess my particular favourites are the passerines and the crested tit has to be the ultimate bird for me. It's such a magnificent addition to the other tits we so regularly see here.

A golden oriole has also been seen in the mulberry tree in my house (casa donana). Unfortunately I didn't see it, a guest at my house did see it though and kindly sent me a photo as evidence. unfortunately it still eludes me and would be a total lifer. Maybe next summer!

If water birds are your thing then this is the place for you. common sightings include the purple gallinule (swamp hen), glossy ibis, squacco herons, night herons, purple herons, little and cattle egrets (I have seen 3 great white herons on a bird tour with John Butler www.donanabirdtours.com), storks galore including black storks and red nobbed coots.

Other personal favourite sightings include: the spanish imperial eagles, red rump swallows, bluethroat, collared pratincole and black necked grebe and of course the shrikes!

still to see: marbled duck,

anyway I could go on forever....in short if you've never been to the Donana region you've got to go. I saw 27 lifers on my first trip and I still see at least a lifer every trip.

If anyone who's not been wants to know any more about this mega area please don't hesitate to drop me a line or check out my site casadonana.com

Would love to hear about your experiences and sightings in the areas.

Cheers

Reuben

Reuben a warm welcome to the Birdforum..glad you joined..i am sure you will find this site intresting..oh..the Admin and the members will soon welcome you.i am just the doorman here..(you know the Big ,Strong and Empty..lol.)..lol....wel come again.Regard..oh by they way they do have a resident clown ..(Me..lol.)..:t:

Hi Reuben and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'll look forward to hearing all about the birds you see in Donana and Oxford.

You'll be sorry to hear (as we all were) that John died recently

D

Hi Delia,

Great to hear from you. Yes absolutely gutted about John Butler. He was one of a kind. A top bloke, a dear friend and an absolutely incredible bird watcher. His wife Bec is still running the business and doing pretty well considering. My older brother is looking to help her in spring next year for a few weeks and may consider helping on a more permanent basis. Did you meet John?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back