• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 slide control (1 Viewer)

Paul Pearson

Hi

When carried over my shoulder, my 100-400 lens extends fully to 400mm, despite having tightened the friction adjustment ring.

Any suggestions to remedy please? There are tiny screws visible on the adjustment ring - might these have loosened with use? (the lens is about 8 months old)

Thanks

Paul

I suppose it depends how much you've tightened it. If it's as tight as it'll go then it should be locked and therefore shouldn't creep.

If this is the case then something might be wrong but as far as the screws go I can't advise but I wouldn't fiddle with them until you've maybe got in contact with Canon to find out if there is a way it can be fixed without sending it off to be looked at, at least it's still under warranty.

Good advice Jaff. Don't fiddle Paul especially as it is under warrenty. You may make it void. Never had this problem though. Had mine eighteen months.

John.

When carried over my shoulder, my 100-400 lens extends fully to 400mm, despite having tightened the friction adjustment ring.

Any suggestions to remedy please? There are tiny screws visible on the adjustment ring - might these have loosened with use? (the lens is about 8 months old)

I'm fairly sure that there small screws will not solve the issue. The lens lock on these seems to go on all of them in time, but it should take years not months. As far as I know it's a fairly straight forward fix and should certainly be covered under warranty, I'd get it bacl to Canon and get it fixed.

I certainly never had this problem. But I always have the lens fully extended when I carry it over my shoulder (with the lock tightened). It's faster that way. I only use the lock at 100 and 400mm, but have never had any problems with it.

Thomas

If it's under warranty send it back and get it fixed. It should stick tight at any length with a twist of the lock ring (you are twisting only the locking section, yeah?).

It's still worth asking how much a repair would be even if out of warranty. If something has failed, Canon may feel obliged to fix such a young lens.

I have exactly the same problem with mine, I am living with it at the moment, not a major problem, just a little annoying at times. I will be interested in what you learn:t: Mick

Would definitely recommend getting it fixed while it's not too bad. I just had an arm-and-a-leg repair on mine having managed to get it to go from loose to 'grind' by trying to sort it out myself (literally). Needed a replacement barrel (complete with new stamped serial number).

Don't try fixing it at home! I've read several reports of people trying this and ending up with a lapful of little ball bearings - which are impossible to replace.

I'd agree with phoning Canon and saying that this sort of error shouldn't happen to such an expensive lens so quickly. And that you want it repaired for free. Doesn't matter if the warranty is only for 12 months - EU consumer law says that goods should work correctly for a reasonable period of time. In my opinion (and, probably, the law's opinion) that's more than 18 months for a £1000 lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back