• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Warbler in Scotland?! (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Hope someone can help with this one

Heard then saw this small drab bird at lunchtime today. It's song was very loud and very repetitive - like chi, cha, chi, cha.

Sorry the photos aren't great it was in a big tree and quite high up. Light was also poor as it had just rained.

Thought it was a bit early for warblers in South Scotland!
-

Attachments

• warbler-01.jpg
    warbler-01.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 175
  • warbler-02.jpg
    warbler-02.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 146
Hi 'Mipettin',
That's a Chiffchaff,got it from your description of the song before I ever looked at the pics!
It's not early for the species:they winter in small numbers in Britain and Ireland,mostly in the south,and return in force from mid-late March.
Harry

Hmmmm...............just add a couple of 'f's to the end of your description of the song and you've got the name of the bird ;)

My warbler id skills are not the hottest... but unless someone comes along and tells you otherwise, "chi cha" to me definitely indicates Chiffchaff.

The photos look about right, but to me could be any of a few similar looking warblers.

For the record, I got my first singing Chiffchaff of the year at the weekend and apparently Birdguides are "inundated" with Chiffchaff records now... so... I'm pretty confident!

Last edited:
Who knows these days Jason? I've just seen my first Willow Warbler of the year up here in North Ayrshire - just accross the raod from Prestwick airport in fact.

regards
Gordon

Definitely Chiffchaff. I have heard them singing for a couple of weeks now but my 1st Chiffchaff of the year was actually New Years day then followed by another one 4 days later at another site.

Had my first Willow warbler last week at Swithland Reservoir then another one today at Waxham in Norfolk.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back