• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handholding 300mm and 400mm lenses, do you remove the tripod ring? (1 Viewer)

imagedude

When handholding the 300mm F4 and 400mm F5.6 do you find that the lens is easier to hold if the tripod ring mount has been removed?

I use the 400/5.6 with the tripod collar on, I have got used to it and I find it's more comfortable than without. I have the bottom on my palm and then my fingers on the Manual focusing ring incase I need to use it, the collar can sometimes get in the way but thats only on some occasion's.

I use the tripod ring on the 400F5.6 as a carrying device,I have the tripod mount swung around to the top of the lens.It provides a good grip.

I too use the mount as a carrying device. Though I leave it at the bottom of the lens and stick it in my belt when I walk.

Thomas

Looks like I'm the odd one out - I never leave the collar on the 400mm f5,6. Mostly it's attached to my monopod. It's a simple and easy to use clip to fit/remove.

I tend to use manual focus quite a lot and the collar would be a bit of a nuisance for me. Another issue is removing it saves a bit of weight, especially if doing a lot of flight captures.

I'm going to put it back on and try tucking it into my belt when I walk! Usually when I have it on it's rotated to the top and I can grab the whole unit with a couple of fingers.

First thing I did with my 100-400 and 300mm f4 was to take the tripod ring off and chuck it in a drawer. I never used them on a tripod so there was no point having a tripod ring and I found they just got in the way

I'd always left the tripod ring on these lenses but I never put them on tripods, so when I recently got a 100-400 I thought I'd try it without the tripod ring. It makes a noticable difference to the weight of the set up and improves the handling, I doubt that it will ever go back on the lens.

Well it's obvious that all this is coming down to personal preference so the answer's quite simple. Try it for yourself, a while with and without and see which suits you better.

What Jaff said. I leave mine on because they've never caused me a problem but if there is a significant weight loss to be had, it's got to be worth a try without.

Generally without - lighter and better balanced. At the very least, I swing the foot to the top so I can get my hand further from the camera body to reduce shake.

I leave mine on the 400 f5.6 and rotate it to the top, maybe I will take off now.....
I had to take my collar off my Sigma 150 when I added the flash unit bracket....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back