• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Nice shots Celia
Nice to see at least 1 juvenile has fledged, it shows how narrow they are to squeeze through 2 inch mesh.
:t:john

As can rats, ably demonstrated today. Had to retire one of the feeders at the Flashes as squirrels had chewed through the mesh, despite an outer cage.

Just going through some of my old photo's and have a few butterflies that I need your help to ID please

Numbers 2 & 4 I think are the same species and just added number 5 have a small feeling it could be a juv goldfinch but could someone confirm please.

Hi Adrian. Left to right- Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Comma and Gatekeeper again :t:

Polish-ringed adult Mediterranean Gull PNU4, noted at the Moors Pool on the 24th March 2013 and then in the roost at the Flashes the following day and again on the 30th March before being noted at the Moors Pool on the 1st April, was observed today at Tittesworth Res, north Staffordshire.

Today's Med Gull, Ruff and Raven takes the August list to 92 with a full three weeks remaining.

Amongst the commoner birds still outstanding for the month are Shelduck, Pochard, Red Kite, Mistle Thrush, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Skylark, Cetti's Warbler, Coal Tit, Treecreeper and Arctic Tern (3 at Westwood this evening).

It looks like they are about to start harvesting the crop fields around Hobden Hall farm. Please keep an eye out for large gatherings of birds feeding in the stubble fields - Mallard (this is where last year's record count was achieved), geese (with increasing numbers of Greylag), doves / pigeon s (JTB had 40+ Stock Doves in the week) and corvids (particularly Rook and Raven) together with potential for Yellowhammer and sparrows.

Last edited:
Today's Med Gull, Ruff and Raven takes the August list to 92 with a full three weeks remaining.

Amongst the commoner birds still outstanding for the month are Shelduck, Pochard, Red Kite, Mistle Thrush, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Skylark, Cetti's Warbler, Coal Tit, Treecreeper and Arctic Tern (3 at Westwood this evening).

It looks like they are about to start harvesting the crop fields around Hobden Hall farm. Please keep an eye out for large gatherings of birds feeding in the stubble fields - Mallard (this is where last year's record count was achieved), geese (with increasing numbers of Greylag), doves / pigeon s (JTB had 40+ Stock Doves in the week) and corvids (particularly Rook and Raven) together with potential for Yellowhammer and sparrows.

Got Treecreeper in the North Moors plantation this morning Phil

Have rook being recorded this month? Five flew over the Flashes late afternoon.
Southern hawker along the footpath by the Hen Brook.

Not by me but several hobby sightings.

Spoke to a couple of visiting birders.....yes, they are members of other county trusts...very complimentary about UW.

had the cettis warbler(the one with the red ring ) at the north moors this morning while looking for the spotted fly to which didnt see

Early 5am start. FLASHES
3 little egrets roosted on 3rd flash.
Ruff still present.
Also teal 15, shoveler 2, greylag 22, curlew 21, common sand 3 (2 juvs), green sand 6/ or 7, lapwing 35

The end of the morning 6 hour session
The egrets flew off towards the Moors at 6am,
Teal 24, coot 4, moorhen 12+, grey heron. buzzard 3.
lapwing 94, BHG 1000 at 5am, common tern 2,
stock dove 30, green woodp, great sp woodp, starling 2, house martin 25, swallow,
reed warbler, whitethroat, chiffchaff 5, pied wag 5, linnet 5, goldfinch 25, bullfinch 3,
raven, rook 10+ over the hide , jay,
goldcrest by bridge scrub, reed bunting 10
roe deer 2 in north field,
Can anyone visiting the Flashes feeding station try and ensure the feeders are topped up.:t: john

Last edited:
Hi all, myself and dad had an adult Arctic Tern fly in high from the east onto sailing lake at 11.15, it circled once then flew out over Webbs GC, also 6+ Commons in air at the time, ps phil their was a female Pochard on moors pool shingle island on sat 3rd aug mid am from west side (I could see you in east hide at the time). thanks Simon

Hi all, myself and dad had an adult Arctic Tern fly in high from the east onto sailing lake at 11.15, it circled once then flew out over Webbs GC, also 6+ Commons in air at the time, ps phil their was a female Pochard on moors pool shingle island on sat 3rd aug mid am from west side (I could see you in east hide at the time). thanks Simon

Cheers Simon - good sightings; one day we will catch up Russells Hall with a Wryneck

Its funny you should mention Wryneck, I was just thinking how good the scrubby areas around the flashes are looking for this and other rares this year, heres hoping for another Barred Warbler in worcs (I missed last one) preferably at Upton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back