• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat, Lake Nakuru, Kenya? (1 Viewer)

r2didi2

photo fisher
So what do you reckon?

Thanks
r2didi2

Attachments

• Unknown-BF(possWhitethroatF)_2007-09_(LakeNakuru)-1.jpg
    Unknown-BF(possWhitethroatF)_2007-09_(LakeNakuru)-1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 160
Hello.

Looks like one of them Prinias. Certainly not any European Sylvia Warbler that I know of.

Cheers!

Dimitris

Looks like a Cisticola - possibly Rattling, "most common & widespread...often near ground, but scolds from bush tops". Check out the undertail pattern.
H

Thanks very much - having now done some research on Google (!) I think the Rattling Cisticola is right - there is an image on Google that has the same undertail markings.

So unless anyone has anyone else to add, I think I'll name it that!

Thanks folks
r2didi2

Gut reaction here is Stout rather than Rattling. Rattling seem usually to be a bit dingier brown, whereas this bird is a bit more clean looking, with bright(ish) rufous on the head and cleaner looking grey with blackish streaking on the mantle. I could be wrong, and I'll check my books when I get a chance, but in the meantime it's worth bearing in mind when googling this kind of thing that its odds on that not every Cisticola is correctly labelled on the internet!

James

Gut reaction here is Stout rather than Rattling. Rattling seem usually to be a bit dingier brown, whereas this bird is a bit more clean looking, with bright(ish) rufous on the head and cleaner looking grey with blackish streaking on the mantle. I could be wrong,
James

I thinK I am wrong here! Winding looks like a better bet! (I always seem to get Winding & Stout mixed up for some reason.)

Ideally one of the African Birdforumers will come along and give it a go for you.

James

The African Cisticolas are a confusing group and I just don't think we can see enough on this fine photo for a positive ID. We can guess but that's about it. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back