• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

seagull gulls id (1 Viewer)

airs91

..Isaac..
Hello I need help Identifying these gulls which I spotted here in colma, California

Attachments

• PicsArt_01-31-04.39.15-1-1.jpg
    PicsArt_01-31-04.39.15-1-1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 230
Too dark to be a Western gull. It's a first winter Herring Gull.

Well you're going to have to help me with this one.

Separating first winter Western (occidentalis) and American Herring gulls (smithsonianus) for me is tricky with good side and wing photos. I did think when I first looked at this photo the bird in the background does look to have light grey second gen mantle feathers, for me suggesting smithsonianus but I can't see any second gen mantle or back feathers clearly on the other two.

To say they're smithsonianus because they're too dark for Western does seem incongruous however as all the first winter Western I've seen (not a huge number I concede) were at least as dark as the same age smithsonianus.

So could you help me at least by giving a little more insight into your ID please? (and Lou as well?)

Okay, sorry for not specifying. So the first cycle Western gull does have very dark plumage compared to the first cycle American Herring gull. American Herring gulls also have an extreme plumage variation whereas the Western tends to have plumage colors that blend together more and a very dark colored back unlike the Herring. The bills on the Western are also very large, black and heavy tipped compared to the Herrings slimmer and lighter colored bill. I'm sorry but color is one of the easiest ways to identify the difference between the two. I would try to solidify my argument by location but both types live in that area. There are millions of American Herring Gulls where I live (on Lake Erie) so I have been around them for my whole life, I'm definitely not saying I'm an expert though! I hoped this helped more.

I will not claim to be a gull expert, but I think the best feature visible in these photos supporting Herring over other possibilities are the pale heads compared to the backs and underparts. Western, Glaucous-winged, and Western x Glaucous-winged hybrids (all of which are more abundant than Herring at many sites in northern California; don't know about Colma) all usually have heads closer in color to the rest of the body.

The two closest to the camera are first-cycle Western Gulls. Any first-cycle Smithsonian Gull with a head that pale will have extensive pale coloration on the bill, unlike the two subject birds. Additionally, Western Gull (like Glaucous-winged Gull) has a minimal supraorbital ridge, giving it a fairly bland face, whereas the strong ridge on Smithsonian Gull gives it a fierce expression. Again, the DATE of photo should ALWAYS be provided. However, I'd guess that the pic was taken in late winter or spring, due to the whiteness of the heads.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back