• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a good pair of binoculars (1 Viewer)

Black Adder

I have just started birdwatching and am looking for a pair of binoculars around the £100 mark, does anyone have any suggestions of models or a website I can view.

Hi Black Adder and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I've moved your post to the binocular forum where it may get more attentions from the experts:-O who hang out here

Some idea of your budget would be helpful though

D

We should really have a section, besides the pentax etc sections, simply titled Binoculars for beginners.

Try a 8x40 porro model, Pentax, Nikon or Opticron. See Nikon Action, or google it.

I have just started birdwatching and am looking for a pair of binoculars around the £100 mark, does anyone have any suggestions of models or a website I can view.

Hello,

Here is a link to a site I have found quite useful in selecting optics. The particular page I am linking to lists binocular choices for every price range (and I think it's currently one of the better such listings out there because it is based on fairly recent information), but you can also find more articles on binoculars and scopes by clicking on the "optics" tab on the left. It is an American website, and I am not sure all the brands listed are available in the UK.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/binocularpicks.html

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Blackadder,

I am beginning to think that many of the recommendations in the link I posted previously may not be readily available to you, since several are made by American companies such as vortex optics. Here is another link that provides a similar fairly up to date breakdown by price range with more options that are likely available to you. (Ironically, the author is a Digiscoping hobbyist who also happens to work for vortex optics, but I have found his recommendations to be similar to those made by people unaffiliated with the company.) Scroll down to the bottom of the page to view the recommendations:

http://www.birddigiscoping.com/2006/12/closer-look-at-binoculars-advice-from.html

Jim

P.S.: Here is another listing with breakdown by price (in U.S. dollars again-- I think currently 1 pound approximately equals 2 U.S. dollars), but it is older (from 2005). Scroll down to the bottom for the chart with rankings.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Last edited:
I have just bought a pair of Opticron Discovery WP PC. They are great for the price
Hope this helps

hi and welcome to the forum - I'd recommend looking at the Opticron Oregon 8x32s (£99), very hard to beat for the price.

The Oregon looks OK, but is not phase coated. So you may want to compare to say Bushnell Excursion 8x32. There should also be an Opticron one step above Oregon that may be phase coated.

Opticron Traveller runs at 184 pounds.

Last edited:
I just came across a UK-based online dealer called microglobe, recommended by another BF member. A lot of their stuff, including the Nikon Actions, is priced very reasonably. BTW, welcome to BF and birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back