• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All-in-one printers (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hi,

I am thinking of buying one of the above. I don't have a scanner and sometimes have to go to local store when I need photocopies doing. So I thought if I buy a combi printer it would be advantageous.

There are that many too choose from I'm confused.

I've owned a bog standard Lexmark for seven years and had very little trouble with it. In the early days the cartridges cost more that I can buy a similar printer now.

Had thought of getting an Epson DX6000, but reading some reviews on an outside site it said it was noisy.

My budget is about £100. Photos printed would most likely be standard size, rarely A4.

Any advice would be most grateful.

Regards

I use an all-in-one as well. I find the scanner and copier facility very useful to have in addition to the decent printer.

Previosly I've owned Lexmark printers which did the job but as you say cartridges were expensive. Each packed in after just over 12 months!

I've had the Canon Pixma MP500 for 18 months now. It's been very reliable and produces decent quality photos to A4. I'm not sure what the most current model is but the Pixma range are worth considering.

Problem with these is that when one bit ceases to work, you end up throwing away the whole lot.
When I got me first PC, about ten years ago, I got a HP printer and an Epson scanner. The scanner is still going strong, yet the printer has been replaced by a Lexmark, another HP, and now a Canon printer (which is by far the best).

I use an Epson All-in-one as I can get 5 of each colour and b&w inks for under £20.

Surely they must be 'compatible' cartridges not genuine Epson. I've had 2 Epson printers and both were rendered useless when nozzles blocked up so badly that they couldn't be cleaned (not by me anyway). I'm sure the first printer blocked up due to me using 'compatible' cartridges so I used only geniune with the second printer and the same thing happened. I use a Canon Pixma now, full suite of 5 genuine Canon cartridges for £37.00 inc postage from Amazon.

Dave

I think Epson sell their inks in packs of six at a discount price. It's certainly worthwhile checking on the cost of replacement inks. My Canon Pixma IP5200 is an outstanding photo printer but the cost of replacing the inks is plain silly. I wait till I see a special offer then snap it up - it's the only affordable way.

You also need to check the size of the ink cartridges, my all-in-one has tiny cartridges that need replacing all the time, it also needs measuring when one looks a cost, the cartridges sound cheap but for the ammount of ink they contain they are more expensive than my old printer.

We've just bought an Epson DX4000 and are very pleased indeed with the print quality.

Advice from the sales guy was that Epson tend to be the better quality for printing, but Canon better for scanning - don't know how true this holds in practice!

Only just had this for a few weeks, so too soon to say how we get on with ink refills - this particular model uses 3 separate colour plus a black ink cartridge....

Ruby. I have had an Epson CS3200 for 2 years and the carts i get from TNG Media in Tyne & Wear have never let me down. I buy 5 colour and 5 B&W for £16.00 + p&p that was the price the last time i bought them.

More confused than ever

Having read your replies, and the reviews you sent a link for, I'm still confused! I've just read a review for the Epson RX560. It says it's excellent for photos but not too hot for text. Being a writer I need the text to be top notch. The old Lexmark I have prints very good text.

Also looked at and read reviews on the Canon MP 510, MP 600, MP 600R and MP 810 plus the Epson RX 560 and RX 640.

If any of you can also tell me if your printers are excellent at text it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Maybe pop to PCWorld and see the printers in the flesh with samples of their output next to them (do they still do that?). Epson printers using dye-based ink traditionally didn't really show what they were capable of unless you fed them coated papers (and were the tops for photos on glossy paper). HP and Lexmark (with its waterproof black ink) could produce crisp text quickly on standard photocopier paper.
Perhaps a good printer using pigment based ink could produce an adequate printout of a document containing text and photos on uncoated paper.

If any of you can also tell me if your printers are excellent at text it would be helpful.

Thanks.

The Epson DX4000 is fine for text print - settings on 'normal' and using cheap photocopying paper....as mentioned previously, very good indeed for printing photographs on 'fine' printer settings and photographic paper....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back