• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Waxwings still at Canford Heath, approx. 50+ at 12:00 today. Feeding on Rowans behind the Health Centre along the footpath between Culliford Crescent and the supermarket carpark. Very flighty with the constant pedestrian traffic.

Good hunting.

Ray and Pat

Attachments

• Waxwings_1790a.jpg
    Waxwings_1790a.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I didnt manage to make Canford today, hoping to do it tomorrow. Anyone know if the Bitterns are still at Hatch Pond? Not been there yet, but had good views last year.

I did see waxwings today, but over on the dark side in Hants:

waxwing 7 by Dirtywater2009, on Flickr

Thanks Ray, I did pop over that way earlier, but prob a bit to early for them. I called by Canford Heath and saw several groups of waxwings, but not as many as the 60-70 that others have seen.

Waxwings at Canford Heath

Still lots of Waxwings by Asda at Canford Heath tonight (3.30pm).
Merry Christmas to everyone who contributes to this thread. Very brief view of a bittern in flight at Hatch Pond too.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040948.jpg
    P1040948.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 69
And a Merry Christmas from us, to everyone who contributes to this thread. Very nice photo of Waxwings against Asda sign Chris. Tried walking to local patch Upton Heath Reserve again this morning, but still too icy for us olduns.

bewicks

Two adult Bewick swans briefly at Longham lakes this afternoon. Flew of strongly over Ferndown at 4pmish
Also 10 goosander and 2 smew. 1 Snipe.
Chris

Great day birding today within 5 miles of the folks house. Great views of a Bittern out in the open at Hatch Pond (plus a female Scaup). Around 25 Waxwings feeding behind the Pilot Pub, Canford Heath. At one stage they were about 4 feet away surrounding the small group of birders. Fantastic views. Then a quick walk around Longham Lakes, found one of the Redhead Smews but missed the Bewicks.

Longham Lakes 1100-1215

Cold NW wind increasing making water choppy in the south.

Ducks featuring well with lots of Tufty, Wigeon, Gadwall, Shoveler (3) and Pochard (98 on the smaller lake alone), Teal increasing again to 19 following the thaw.
Smew 4 redheads by the large island on larger lake.
Goosander 1m + 6 redheads on the southern part of the large lake.
Goldeneye 3

Skylark 33 milling about
Song Thrush 2
Missle Thrush 1
Linnet 2

Little Egret 1 flying over.

Ray and Pat

Last edited:
With New Year birding in mind, has anyone any recent info on Med Gulls in the Ferrybridge /Portland harbour area? numbers etc this winter? I know they're not rarities in Dorset, but always good to see....thanks

With New Year birding in mind, has anyone any recent info on Med Gulls in the Ferrybridge /Portland harbour area? numbers etc this winter? I know they're not rarities in Dorset, but always good to see....thanks

Recently (beginning of December) I had 70+ birds at Ferrybridge in a quick scan one lunchtime. Every gull there is a med it seems. It won't be hard to find one!

Longham lakes, Monday

1 Smew
6 goosander
1 goldeneye
plus good numbers of wigeon and pochard.
1 little egret
little grebe
great crested grebe
great and lesser black backed gulls
Lapwings

Longham lakes, Sunday morning

Beautiful day but cold.
River is flooded and many ducks on the floods. Black swan with mutes, 2 pintail (drake and duck), 4 goosander on the big lake , 2 redhead smew, one female goldeneye.
11 Black-tailed godwits on floods too.
Peregrine hunting and kestrel too.

Also dropped in to Hatch Pond for best ever views of bittern. Will post pictures later this week.
Chris

Lytchett Bay 11/01/2011

Went to have a look for Gulls on the Upton side of the bay. Very few gulls but lots of variety and interest.

Waterfowl in their 100s Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal
Shelduck 95

Waders all over the place being pushed along by the rising tide. Included
Oystercatcher 100+, Curlew, Redshank, Dunlin C200
Black-tailed Godwit 263
Avocet 67

All put to flight at regular intervals by
Peregrine

In addition had hoped to see Marsh Harrier but surprised to find a ringtail Hen Harrier preening itself on a post in the middle of the reedbed. Suspect from plumage details it was probably a first winter bird. Bird flew of to the North and continued to hunt, I think by the Upton bypass towards Lytchett.

Excellent morning.

Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back