• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

Went to try and find the geese around Paston after that, but despite driving around in circles for almost an hour, I failed. Zipped up to the rubbish tip near Holt and after a bit of searching found the Iceland gull in a field about ½ a mile from the tip back towards Holt – it didn’t stay long – I suspect it went off to roost.

Hi Ilya
The geese are nearer Bacton than Paston Ross's Goose present all weekend, they are around TG 329 331 between Edingthorpe and Bacton Church. They are in a sugar beet field but there is only really one gateway that you can view from, I would recommend staying in car as they were a bit jumpy.

Gary

Richard's pipit - Terrington Marshes

A friend of mine has just found a Richard's Pipit at Terrington marshes, probably of eastern race (dauricus).
Park at Ongar Hill and walk west towards Terrrington Marshes

Hi Ilya
The geese are nearer Bacton than Paston Ross's Goose present all weekend, they are around TG 329 331 between Edingthorpe and Bacton Church. They are in a sugar beet field but there is only really one gateway that you can view from, I would recommend staying in car as they were a bit jumpy.

Gary

Thanks. Did actually check that area and know the sugar beet field you mean. Suspect someone had got there before me and scared them (I saw a large flock of geese departing the area as I passed Happisburgh).

Last edited:
Found myself down the east coast today, for some reason... :) Desert Wheatear was a star, showing down to zero feet! (dodging between wellies and tripod legs). No one had any mealworms, and I didn't think it would fancy my sausage rolls. However, it seemed ok finding food on its own, munching on a worm that it dug out of the ground and a spider from the fence.

Had a coffee in front of the fire in the Nelsons Head (very neseccary in this weather) and then headed to Stubb Mill, from 2:30 till 5. Had a Bittern over the reeds, 1 Barn Owl, c35 Marsh Harriers, 3 Hen Harriers (1 male, 2 ringtails) and 3 cranes, though very distantly. Was a shame the cranes didn't show. There were a few calling the other side of the copse behind the platform, but most people went home without seeing any at all. Is this the case for most evenings, or just a quiet day? Have they changed their route to roost because of the crowds, perhaps?

Anyhoo, very nice day out. Need to get out that way more often.

Jason

Was a shame the cranes didn't show. There were a few calling the other side of the copse behind the platform, but most people went home without seeing any at all. Is this the case for most evenings, or just a quiet day? Have they changed their route to roost because of the crowds, perhaps?

Anyhoo, very nice day out. Need to get out that way more often.

Jason

Not sure how long you stayed, but the cranes often come in after dusk.

Desert Wheatear and Richard's Pipit still present at Horsey (per R.B.A)

Well I missed the Richard's pipit today but I don't really care as we got stunning views of the desert wheatear. Had to wait and hour and a half for it to show, but it was well worth the wait. Anyone who does go for this bird should also pop over the dunes and take a look at the grey seal colony on the beach.

There is a chance I didn't stay long enough. However, it was dark when I did finally leave, and I was bloody cold!

Jason

I sympathise. I've missed them several times for that very reason!

ps - remember you mentioned looking for Caspian Gulls. I need it for my Norfolk Year list. If you get one, pm me. I fancy one turning up at Edgefield myself. Blackburgh End Tip meant to be the best site for them, but I don't get over that way much and I suspect it might also be because Pete "King of Gulls" Wilson checks it all the time

ps - remember you mentioned looking for Caspian Gulls. I need it for my Norfolk Year list. If you get one, pm me. I fancy one turning up at Edgefield myself. Blackburgh End Tip meant to be the best site for them, but I don't get over that way much and I suspect it might also be because Pete "King of Gulls" Wilson checks it all the time

There has been at least one (and probably a couple) Caspian at Edgefield in the last couple of weeks. As I understand it the Iceland was found by someone checking the Caspian.

There is a chance I didn't stay long enough. However, it was dark when I did finally leave, and I was bloody cold!

Jason

Jason I've been twice now and seen 4 the first time and 2 the second. So perhaps we're just unlucky. I Know others who have been several times without seeing any.

There has been at least one (and probably a couple) Caspian at Edgefield in the last couple of weeks. As I understand it the Iceland was found by someone checking the Caspian.

Thanks - I'll have a bash this weekend. Need to gen up a bit on all the various imm plumage details, but just but Olsen's gull book, so should be a good excuse

Will do Ilya. Would certainly need a second opinion if I found something interesting anyway. I genned up on adult plumage when the bird was seen at edgefield last week, and that took at least 2 hours of solid reading/note taking! Juv plumage may be beyond me just now. Will have a stab though.

Jason

Hey mate. I'd only been once before yesterday, but I saw about 20 that time! Still a magical spot though, regardless.

Jason

Jason I've been twice now and seen 4 the first time and 2 the second. So perhaps we're just unlucky. I Know others who have been several times without seeing any.

c75 Snow Bunts knocking around Blakeney Freshes this afternoon, along with 5 Marsh Harriers (2 males just passing), 1 Hen Harrier over and several Bearded tits calling from several different stretches of reedbeds. Lovely mild day.

Have recorded some Willow Tit audio to my mobile, in the hope of seeing the tits better at Sculthorpe tomorrow. Dunno if it'll work though... Fingers crossed.

Jason

things beginning to quieten down this week but still a fem type long tailed duck past sheringham on monday + a few little auks and a woodcock and probable BTD this morning

my dip list from the work now stands at hen harrier, whooper swan and peregrine, can you lot stop ordering capaccinos!

Have just done a description of my patch that is the birding mecca, Holme dunes! Visit my blog and scroll down, link for patch description is at bottom of right-hand toolbar.

Cheers,

Connor

Dropped into Cley this evening, at around 3, and wandered down East Bank to see the Shorelarks. 3 Marsh Harriers were patrollong the reeds, and a Whooper Swan bundled onto Arnolds Marsh as I got there. Nailed that year tick! :p Continued to roost well into the dark hours, so will be there tomorrow morning I'd imagine. After searching east of the bank for a bit I flushed the 3 Shorelarks, which flew back to the east bank footpath, where they fed for around 30 minutes. I sat quietly at the end of the path and they proceeded to creep closer and closer, up to about 10 feet! Pretty magic in the late evening sunshine. Eventually had to head back to the car though, which sadly meant I'd have to scare them off. They took some persuading though! A Merlin over the reeds on the way back, along with a Barn Owl hunting by Snipes Marsh and a Cettis giving a burst of song by the car capped off a nice evening.

Jason

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me exactly how to get to the rubbish tip near Holt to see Iceland Gull please? and also directions for Desert Wheatear at Horsey, best place to park etc?

Can't wait to go birding Saturday, have not been out for last 2 weekends!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Could anyone tell me exactly how to get to the rubbish tip near Holt to see Iceland Gull please? and also directions for Desert Wheatear at Horsey, best place to park etc?

Can't wait to go birding Saturday, have not been out for last 2 weekends!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Penny

Park at Horsey Gap car park and walk on the coastal path south until you reach the portaloo - can't miss it

The tip entrance can be seen from the roadside as you leave Holt south on the Norwich road and get near to Edgefield - remember it being on the upslope of the hill i think? Anyone help?

see you at the curry?

Tim

Penny

Park at Horsey Gap car park and walk on the coastal path south until you reach the portaloo - can't miss it

The tip entrance can be seen from the roadside as you leave Holt south on the Norwich road and get near to Edgefield - remember it being on the upslope of the hill i think? Anyone help?

see you at the curry?

Tim

Hi Tim

Cheers, thanks for directions.

I will see at you at curry if I know when?!!!! Last I heard there was a choice of 2 dates, have not heard anymore since. Have just sent a text to Chris M. to ask which day it is.

Thanks Penny:girl:

P.S. Chris has just text to say when it is, but he still has not said where!!! See you at curry where ever it is!!! I am sure I will find out soon!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back