• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

That's me, you guessed it!
About work and how it gets in the way of birding - theres something we're missing! Ray Roche works one day a week and does loads of birding in between apparently!
Oh well. I found a singing Firecrest near my house today so I'm pleased about that. Plus, the Lesser-Spotted Woodpckers are back in the village, we had 2 singing males about a week ago and at least one almost every day since. I must find the breeding site soon.
Good birding, sim

Yes, if we can find out how to beat the system, preferably without living off beans, we may one day rule the world (metaphorically speaking)!

Had 2 really close Long-tailed tits at my window, the first my dad has seen, but I wasn't fast enough fetching the camera.

I just had 3 Blackcap this morning at my patch in Denver. Had 3 the day before at another location, there seems to have been an arrival of them lately.
I am new to this thread by the way, hi all :)

Welcome to Bird forum! I've just had a new garden tick- a female blackcap! :t:

ETA: please let me know where the lesser spots are! I still don't think I've seen one! :(

Birdguides are reporting 3 Cattle Egrets in a tree at the west end of the flash at Stiffkey, south of the A149 today - no time given.
Richard
PS Not an April Fools joke!!

RBA only reported a single bird and that was seen to fly of west at ~6:30pm... I think I'll go and have a look for it in the morning before work.

What's the betting there are more about? Jed told us to look out for them now that there are cattle at Holme!

I just had 3 Blackcap this morning at my patch in Denver. Had 3 the day before at another location, there seems to have been an arrival of them lately.
I am new to this thread by the way, hi all :)

I guess I know you rather well too mr.sim !! Welcome to Birdforum !

Sue ;)

Thanks Penny and Ruralchill

Nice to be back! (although I wish I could have brought the displaying Houbara Bustard (McQueen's) for you all to enjoy!)

Good to see you today Ruralchill. Thanks for the text! I still only have half a lawn mowed!! Got to get the priorities right!!

Sue

Hi Sue
Nice to speak to you again. What's your world list on now, I see from your site that you got a few ticks in the middle east?
sim

Cattle Egret

RBA only reported a single bird and that was seen to fly of west at ~6:30pm... I think I'll go and have a look for it in the morning before work.

Quite right. Birdguides definitely stated three Cattle Egrets in their first report but this was obviously amended later, as they now only mention one bird. Presumably if there were three birds at one time it seems like two must have been Little Egrets.
Cheers
Richard

A very productive afternoon.
I decided to return and look for the Red Kite that I had seen on Wednesday. On arrival a couple of other birders were at the locality, having just (briefly) seen the bird. Later, I found out that the bird had also been seen y'day a'noon and was definitely the same bird as it has a very ragged tail. The site is becoming well known, but I am reticent to put it on the pager as there are breeding Marsh Harriers nearby. If anyone would like to know more please feel free to PM me.

Just as I was about to leave, Sue texted me with the Cattle Egret news, which was much appreciated as I had missed that message on the pager! I drove up and managed to relocate the bird and a number of others were able to see it. As I was leaving someone arrived and walked into the area that the bird was in (unforunately unviewable from public rights of way). The bird flew and fortunately landed in a tree viewable from the road!

I returned to the Red Kite site (I had generated quite a twitch!) and met Sue, so was able to thank her in person!

PS Sue it's Norgate!! (no th!)

Last edited:
Well done Connor. Whereabouts were the Crossbills cos James and I hardly ever get them these days. Might go and have a look.

Hmm, this suppression thing is not as black and white as I thought -
private land
sensitive site
rare breeding birds
limited / dangerous parking
locals not keen on large number of people
only seen very erratically etc etc!
I felt guilty about the Red Kite, but managed to get a number of people onto it, with out news getting onto the pager. However, it is a little bit different with a Great White Egret. Anyway, suppression it is (although news is seeping out) I am monitoring the situation with regards to seeing if there is a pattern in the sightings...we'll have to wait and see...

Connor - you have mail!

Last edited:
Norfolk Weekend

Hello nolfork birders,

I'm looking to spend this weekend coming up in norfolk to do some Birding as ive never been before. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some places i could visit?on the coast maybe?My thinking is that it would be good at this time as Norfolk is good for migrants. I'll be arriving Friday tea time and leaving Sunday evening. I want to make the most of it as i don't get many weekends free! Any help would be great!

Cheers

Geordie:t:

Today started off a as a really naff today, due to the fact I did too many boring houseworky jobs last night, did the Tescos run at 10pm and by the time I had sorted my birding stuff, sandwiches etc it was silly late and when the alarm went off I couldn't get up and couldn't get back to sleep either!!! So eventually arrived at Holme about 10.30, way past the high tide at 6.45amish. Have been sleepy and moody all day!

On route just before Sandringham a common buzzard was circling above as I drove along. Arrived at Holme 10.30 and parked up by the horse meadow half way along Beach Road and saw 2 pied wagtails, not much else. Drove right down to NOA carpark first and had a look round reserve. Several bramblings on the feeders from the hide at the end of the bank. A marsh harrier flew over the marsh. I went to look at the sea but it was like the Sahara!!!! sand was blowing directly towards me, I couldn't even open my eyes! So gave up on that and walked back and through the pines back to carpark, raining now aswell! I was chatting to a couple of members on the carpark and Chris Mills walked up and said did we know there were a couple of Med Gulls from the NOA capark hide, so went to have a look at those (12.45pm), which was nice. Drove back down the 'rud' and had a walk round the Forestry area where all I saw was a magpie and a hedgesparrow singing, not even a stonechat - everything was ducking down in the wind.

Next stop Cleyspy to collect my scope:t::t::t: On route stopped at Siffkey to look at Cattle Egret (ha ha, not). Then after leaving Cleyspy I had an incident with a snotty horse woman - I had passed her slowly and politely, as you do and further up the road I pulled over and stopped to make a phone call to my friend Pete, while I was talking to him the horse and lady had caught up with me and she could not overtake me for a few seconds as there was a car coming the other way - after the car had gone past, she then rode past me saying in a bellowing sarcastic voice 'you could have picked a better place to park' - well that was it my temper went through the sky (yes road rage):C:C and when I pulled off, lets say it wasn't exactly slow to which she stuck two fingers up to me, which I returned back and then put my hazards on as Penelope Pitstop sped off (young people on here won't know what I am going on about!) - I really felt like going back and running her over (yes I know its a dreadful, wicked thing to say, but thats how I felt at the time) Anyway, still fuming I met up with my friend Pete At Salthouse - absolutely FREEZING!! and we saw 3 wheatears at Little Eye (5pm), 2 lovely males and 1 female! Also a few turnstones were feeding close by and 1 snowbunting feeding all by itself:-C.

I left here and went back via the coast road, stopped to view the Warham area and had 2 stunning full adult male marsh harriers who were so brilliantly coloured I thought I was looking at something else for a minute! Also my first swallow of the year wearily came in off the sea. Stopped at Blakeney Quay and Morston Quay, sea is very close to coming over the road, it was so windy couldn't really hold bins still, lots of gulls and brents etc! Stopped at Burnham Norton Carpark and had a cup of tea and my dinner for the evening, a cheese and tomato sandwich! and scanned over the marshes and had 5 marsh harriers in the sky together (7.40pm).

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back