• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Paul
I have heard that you only got permission to use the Vireo picture today at roughly 11am when you were talking to Alan Hannington while he was watching the Scilly Gyr and he passed the phone over to Ren. This was the first time that Ren has spoken to you. If you knew Ren was the photographer how come the image is credited as photographer unknown. It is a well known image having appeared in the bird report and British Birds. Basically this image has been on your site for at least several months without the photographers' permission. Just admit that rather than digging yourself into a bigger hole. I withdraw my previous apology.
Paul

It wasn't meant to anger you, it was simply a tongue in cheek comment that you took the wrong way and blew out of proportion. Don't feel you should apologise. You encouraged Henerz to let me and dave slug it out! Definately my last word.

I was by no means the only person who took your comment "the wrong way". It was crass. As I have remarked before, subtlety is not your strong point.

My apology wasn't intended for you. If I feel that I want to apologise to other readers of this thread, then I will.

Odd Gull / poss hybrid, at Sandy Cove, Gribbin Head this morning. From a good distance it looked 2ndW Herring Gull, but Iceland Gull shape, P9 and P10 primaries all white, plus showing dark patches on lesser and greater coverts.
Also Sandwich Tern and Brambling.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 93
Anyone able to give an accurate Grid reference for the Hawfinch at 'nine stones' ?

Thanks in advance

Jon

I am not sure why you need an accurate grid reference Jon. Turn off the A30 at Jamaica Inn and the minor road almost opposite on your left goes to Golitha Falls. Ninestones Bridge is just over a mile from the bottom of the steep hill that you go down and you can't miss the large layby on your right opposite the small bridge. That is Ninestones Bridge. Good for Dipper. Park in the lay by, cross the bridge and walk up the track. The former Roger Young Landrover repair garage is on your right. Today the Hawfinch was still in the Hawthorns c200yards beyond the cattle grid. I think you view left from the metal gate according to RBA Pager.
If you continue up to the plantation you may see Siskin and Lesser Redpoll.
Roger

Looking it up on Streetmap was a bit vague, so that's very helpful thanks Roger, I'm heading for Falmouth on Thursday so could once again make a detour.... Mind you, Porthcothan could also be on the agenda!
Looking back through my records I haven't seen Hawfinch in this country since 1998!

Jon

Maybe a good idea to check Stepper Point for the Gyr. (I will on Thursday, working until then).
Probably another suppressed Trevose Head bird.

Odd Gull / poss hybrid, at Sandy Cove, Gribbin Head this morning. From a good distance it looked 2ndW Herring Gull, but Iceland Gull shape, P9 and P10 primaries all white, plus showing dark patches on lesser and greater coverts.
Also Sandwich Tern and Brambling.

Any other photo's Colin, looks very interesting.

A very odd-looking bird Colin. Looks Iceland Gull size, i.e. a little smaller than Herring? Do you know anything about the Gyr at Porthcothan?

Yes Andy, elongated shape, short very pink legs and shortish bill.
I don't know anything about the Gyr but will have a go on Wednesday.

I wonder how they know the Gyr has been present for several days? Does anyone know if a birder saw it today or a member of the public? I'm guessing it's the Zennor bird that has moved up.

Pentire Farm, Efflins Valley this morning: no sign of the reported Gyr but male Hen Harrier, Merlin, 2 Grey Partridge (many Red-legged) 450+ Wood Pigeon, 400 Golden Plover and 2 Sand Martin.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 58
Thanks Colin. Do you know who reported the Gyr? Is it possible that it is a non-birder who has misidentified the harrier??

After spending most of the day on site yesterday we spoke to a lot of local people. We spoke to the person who found the bird on Monday and reported it to the National Trust warden. He gave a very good description of the bird. (Although this person is not a "birder" he is spends a lot of time out in the countryside and seemed to now a lot about the local birdlife).

The local farmers noted that the bird was present in the area throught this week and one said the bird was present on Wednesday eating a (Herring) Gull.

A good place to start looking would be at the National Trust Car Park at Carnewas or in the layby between here and Park Head.

A pleasant walk around Trevose Head today produced my first Wheatear of the year, a male. Also noted were 6 Sand Martins and 26 Corn Buntings.

A pleasant walk around Trevose Head today produced my first Wheatear of the year, a male. Also noted were 6 Sand Martins and 26 Corn Buntings.

Did you notice (despite the signs to keep out of the fields at this time of year) the two birders systematically quartering the set-aside field in an attempt to flush something?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back