Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 10th April 2017, 16:09   #1
pigmode

White Tern (Honolulu)

By my seat of the pants impression, the urban population of White Tern in Honolulu has grown significantly in the last 20yr. I was recently paddling outside Honolulu, when there were numerous sightings of medium-small flying fish moving towards shore.

At the same time there were more than average numbers of White Tern hunting the same area. They usually fly in pairs and hunt in the same manner, often taking prey right at the surface of the water. This opens the question of whether the Tern and Flying Fish were chasing the same prey.

Paddle profile that day. Starting point to first turn outside Diamond Head is 3mi. Prevailing wind direction is NE, 20 left of the last leg back to the harbor.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psvcjjwoff.png

Last edited by pigmode : Monday 10th April 2017 at 16:12.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: