Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 09:47   #1
John Cantelo

Blackbird incubating egg in plant pot

I understand that it's not too unusual for birds to "drop an egg" outside the nest and in unsuitable places (but can't find references to the habit - suggestions?). Yesterday, I was shown a single Blackbird's egg in a plant pot laid on the bare fibrous compost material without any preparation (other than a very shallow hollow). I assumed the egg had been abandoned but to my surprise, as I moved away a female Blackbird scurried up and sat tight on the egg. Further enquiries revealed that the bird had been incubating the egg for at least two hours (although the egg was reportedly cold). How unusual is it for an egg to be laid in this manner and then incubated? Again any references would be useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackbirdNest.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	623269  

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 17:10   #2
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

I'd guess the bird considered the potting compost was already suitably soft to act as a nest?

Problem is going to come with any heavy rain, or when someone wants to water the plant.
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2017, 20:44   #3
John Cantelo

To my astonishment, the single egg hatched on Saturday and the chick has survived until today. Any ideas how unusual this is? I can't find any references ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blckbrd.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	625344  

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: