Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 09:42   #1
andyadcock

Chris Packham - Malta

Chris Packham who is a British naturalist, tv presenter and campaigner to stop the mass slaughter of migrant birds in Malta, was in court today in Malta on assault charges.

He was it seems, arrested during recent filming on the island and has just been cleared of the charges.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lt-charge.html

A
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 10:41   #2
rosbifs

So why isn't there any repecussions? Surely the police should have seen the evidence before 'pressing charges'. Why isn't the trapper now facing charges - if it was clearly him doing the assaulting.

More to follow I hope...
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 11:08   #3
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbifs View Post
So why isn't there any repecussions? Surely the police should have seen the evidence before 'pressing charges'. Why isn't the trapper now facing charges - if it was clearly him doing the assaulting.

More to follow I hope...
Absolutely! It would appear from the speed with which the judgement was delivered that the case was pretty clear cut and there was no substantive evidence against him. It seems CP has video evidence which will be released soon. It will be interesting to see if the trappers find themselves in court for making false accusations and whether the policemen involved in the case are investigated. Unless so it all will look like officially endorsed intimidation of someone for reporting crime. Holiday on Malta? You must be joking!

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 11:23   #4
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
and whether the policemen involved in the case are investigated. Unless so it all will look like officially endorsed intimidation of someone for reporting crime. Holiday on Malta? You must be joking!
It is worth remembering that Maltese authorities can seek European arrest warrants (for example if CP had already returned to the UK) and its judges can (in theory) contribute towards judgements through the European Courts.

cheers, alan
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 11:28   #5
lewis20126

Corruption in Malta

https://www.transparency.org/files/c...Malta_2016.pdf

"The severity of corruption in Malta is exemplified by the fact that, according to a recent report commissioned by the European Parliament, the country lost at least 11.67% of its gross domestic product (approximately $1.25 billion) to corruption every year between 1995 and 2014 (Grech 2016a)."

It sounds fairly grim!

cheers, alan

Last edited by lewis20126 : Thursday 20th April 2017 at 11:30.
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 12:18   #6
markspirito

Many years ago I wrote to the Maltese tourist authority, basically saying I will not be visiting again until the slaughter of birds is stopped, maybe we should all think about doing the same...hit them where it hurts

Mark
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 12:29   #7
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspirito View Post
Many years ago I wrote to the Maltese tourist authority, basically saying I will not be visiting again until the slaughter of birds is stopped, maybe we should all think about doing the same...hit them where it hurts

Mark
Good idea - here's a couple of email addresses -

info@visitmalta.com

OR

Rita Sammut
Executive
Customer Care
rita.sammut@visitmalta.com

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 15:07   #8
andyadcock

Quote:
Good idea - here's a couple of email addresses -

info@visitmalta.com

OR

Rita Sammut
Executive
Customer Care
rita.sammut@visitmalta.com
I said this on the same topic on another thread some time ago.

Others were of the opinion that we should keep going to Malta in the hope of 'educating' them. I'm for an all out boycott, I'll never go while the situation remains the same.

A
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 16:18   #9
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I said this on the same topic on another thread some time ago.

Others were of the opinion that we should keep going to Malta in the hope of 'educating' them. I'm for an all out boycott, I'll never go while the situation remains the same.

A
As a rule, I favour engagement rather than boycott but with regard to Malta I've changed my mind on this since the wider population failed to vote against spring hunting in the referendum. They had the chance and the majority sided with ignorance. Putting pressure on the tourism sector and making it abundantly clear that incidents like this are seriously damaging the image of the place is grist to the mill either way.

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 16:33   #10
John Cantelo

It's well worth watching & listening to the video footage of the incident - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDZi2mdbvSo - which makes it abundantly clear both who the aggressors were and how the policeman present acted to protect a lawbreaker and did so in a very provocative & aggressive manner. Thank goodness the numpties never realised that the video was still running!

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 17:58   #11
Bubbs

Quote:
It's well worth watching & listening to the video footage of the incident - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDZi2mdbvSo - which makes it abundantly clear both who the aggressors were and how the policeman present acted to protect a lawbreaker and did so in a very provocative & aggressive manner. Thank goodness the numpties never realised that the video was still running!
Thanks for posting John. Viewers should also watch the next up video. Be warned though...it's not easy viewing.
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 18:02   #12
cheshirebirder

Let's hope this is given wiider publicity ad shows the public what holidaying in Malta is supporting. The referendum there showed the majority support this behavior .
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 19:57   #13
rosbifs

Brilliant line - 'whose side are they on then!'
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 20:13   #14
John Cantelo

The rather wonderful thing is that, without the clumsy intervention of the trapper and his chums, sorry, I mean policemen, this would have been, at best, a few minutes on Chris Packham's video report and a paragraph in the local paper seen by a few thousand. As it is, it's been reported by all of our national newspapers, on the BBC & ITV news and widely discussed online so the report must have now been seen by hundreds of thousands. CP is not, apparently, pressing charges but given the circumstances, one would hope that there will be some sort of enquiry and if any policemen are found to be culpable suitable disciplinary action will be taken.

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 22:03   #15
Bubbs

Quote:
CP is not, apparently, pressing charges but given the circumstances, one would hope that there will be some sort of enquiry and if any policemen are found to be culpable suitable disciplinary action will be taken.
No chance.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: