Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 01:01   #226
jacana
Will Jones

193. Belted Kingfisher

No Woodcock unfortunately
Latest World 2017: Black Guillemot (305)
Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 18:01   #227
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacana View Post
193. Belted Kingfisher

No Woodcock unfortunately
Well, that's too bad. I imagine there are some close by, but I couldn't say exactly where (Guelph Lake C.A., maybe?).

However, I know exactly where they can be found - guaranteed. See images; go to where the red dot is, just after sunset, and wait for the "peents" to start up. We had 9 individuals displaying within 100m of this spot, about a week ago (the best displaying field is just a bit north of the marker).

Where was the Solitary? That's really good, for the time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laurel-creek1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	623382  Click image for larger version

Name:	Laurel-creek2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	623383  

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 21:45   #228
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

159 marbled godwit
160 Wilson’s phalarope
161 white-faced Ibis
162 Semipalmated sandpiper
163 Least sandpiper
164 Long-billed dowitcher
165 northern rough-winged swallow
166 semilamated plover (4/22)

Last edited by Tero : Saturday 22nd April 2017 at 22:45.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th April 2017, 23:51   #229
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

A beautiful spring day with lots of migrants moving in. I added eight birds to my Year List today.

137. Eastern Kingbird
138. Blue-winged Warbler
139. Prairie Warbler
140. Green Heron
141. Ovenbird
142. Wood Thrush
143. Spotted Sandpiper
144. Forster's Tern

Dave
Latest Preston County Lifer (No. 226): Sandhill Crane; Masontown, WV; 12/21/16
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 01:57   #230
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

This evening I went out to look for whip-poor-wills. Almost as soon as I arrived at my special spot for the bird, I heard and then got a brief glimpse of one in my spotlight. I heard a total of three, maybe four.

145. Eastern Whip-poor-will

Dave
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 03:15   #231
SueO

I'm keeping a 2017 list this year and I wondered if I should put exotic birds on it. I wouldn't put them on my life list, but I figured a year list is different. Today I went to the Huntington Beach Central Park (California) and found some Orange Cheeked Waxbills. Do I put them on the list, or no? Thanks.
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 11:55   #232
jacana
Will Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
Well, that's too bad. I imagine there are some close by, but I couldn't say exactly where (Guelph Lake C.A., maybe?).

However, I know exactly where they can be found - guaranteed. See images; go to where the red dot is, just after sunset, and wait for the "peents" to start up. We had 9 individuals displaying within 100m of this spot, about a week ago (the best displaying field is just a bit north of the marker).

Where was the Solitary? That's really good, for the time of year.
Thanks Peter. I'm going to give Guelph lake a go i think. The Solitary was in a flooded field close to Guelph, not sure of the exact location. First for the year in Wellington County apparently.

Got a couple of new species yesterday:
194. Downy Woodpecker
195. Brown Creeper
196. Golden-crowned Kinglet
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 16:07   #233
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueO View Post
I'm keeping a 2017 list this year and I wondered if I should put exotic birds on it. I wouldn't put them on my life list, but I figured a year list is different. Today I went to the Huntington Beach Central Park (California) and found some Orange Cheeked Waxbills. Do I put them on the list, or no? Thanks.
The national geographic guide has a good list of accidentals, and things like parrots are listed with likely cities to find them. Also, use eBird and list all, see if it is listed there.

There are some waxbills in the US. Look up the one you found and see if it is found anywhere.

Quote:
The Black-rumped Waxbill is a widespread inhabitant of sub-Saharan Africa, where it is resident from Senegal to western Ethiopia, and reaches south to Uganda and western Kenya. There are several introduced populations in southern Europe, as well as on the Canary Islands, and in Hawaii.
If you conclude that your bird is an escaped bird, then I would not list it.

Old Friday 21st April 2017, 16:18   #234
AlexC
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueO View Post
Hi Sue - welcome! As a SoCal birder, I can commiserate with this conundrum of introduced exotics... Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

It's totally up to you on your personal approach, but here's how your options break down:

1) All inclusive list. This would be the only list to include the Orange-cheeked Waxbill - which is seen regularly in SoCal. My primary year list is all inclusive, and it's based on the concept that regardless of official status and slow-moving evaluation of these populations' sustainability to thrive overall, you as an observer are experiencing and encountering an individual bird which was born, functions, survives and likely propagates in the wild. I wouldn't count confirmed escapees, or zoo or farm birds, but pretty much everything else to me is fair game.

Another argument for using this list type is that it will make it easy to correspond to your eBird submissions, which exclude only "domestic" / farm influenced birds (certain peafowl, geese and monstrous mallardian descendants) - all other exotics are included as "countable" on your eBird list. This is not by accident - it's in fact very purposeful in order to track the pervasiveness, the range, and the growth of these exotic populations, with the sentiment that this data may one day contribute to granting them "self-sustaining population" status by the powers that be (CRBC or ABA).

2) Official status list. This is probably the more popular option for many birders, because it's based on a strict set of rules and parameters set forth by an authority. And for most of North America, the ABA (American Birding Association) is the go-to resource for this, in conjunction with their local state rare bird committee. However, most North American birders are not confronted with the massive exotic populations of SoCal and Florida.

Birding SoCal can get sticky quickly when you start dissecting the vague discrepancies between the ABA and the CRBC (California Rare Bird Committee). Great example here is Nanday Parakeet - which is an ABA accepted species, but not recognized by CRBC. The ABA's evaluation stems from the Florida population, but their "criteria for determining establishment of exotics"
(http://listing.aba.org/criteria-dete...hment-exotics/) is absolutely applicable to the Nanday population of Malibu / Santa Monica Mountain range. Which, I might add, is unique amongst SoCal exotics for surviving off native plants, not introduced ones.

Additional internal hypocrisy with the decisions these committees include their "accepted" status of grandfathered-in absurdities like Spotted Dove in Los Angeles (which is barely holding on as a sustainable population), and the pervasive Red-crowned Parrot, while other predominant parrot/parakeet species of the greater LA area remain absent (Yellow-chevroned Parakeet and Mitred Parakeet come to mind first, but other Amazona parrots like Yellow-headed Parrot may be good examples because they are function in the same niche - and flocks! - as Red-crowneds).

The benefit of this approach is, of course, an even playing field when comparing numbers with other birders who follow the ABA list, or requirements for submitting a list for competition (big year, anyone?).

3) Purist non-introduced list. I'm including this option in for fun because I think it's an underserved twist on listing: Non-introduced species only. While your "official" ABA or CRBC list will grant exotic immunity to your run-of-the-mill Rock Pigeons, European Starlings, House Sparrows, and yes even Spotted Doves and Red-crowned Parrots - this NIB list doesn't live in a gray area. It's native birds and native birds only.

I was inspired to keep this list by John Sterling's County Birders club (http://www.sterlingbirds.com/county_birders.htm), in which California's top traveling birders compete on their life lists to see the most non-introduced species in every county of California (there are 58). Maybe it's blind to certain realities of our modern birding, but it struck a chord with me in a historical context - how would my list compete before colonizers brought all these ridiculous birds that have in many cases negatively impacted North American wildlife.

----

In the end, my personal solution? I keep all three of the above lists to get the best of all worlds. But that's also because I'm a spreadsheet madman with OCD tendencies. Have fun with it, and do what suits you best.
Latest 2017: Gray Jay (430 World, 300/290/282 ABA, 234/221/216 CA, 219/206/201 LA Co.).

Last edited by AlexC : Friday 21st April 2017 at 16:20.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st April 2017, 17:14   #235
SueO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Hi Sue - welcome! As a SoCal birder, I can commiserate with this conundrum of introduced exotics... Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

It's totally up to you on your personal approach, but here's how your options break down:

1) All inclusive list. This would be the only list to include the Orange-cheeked Waxbill - which is seen regularly in SoCal. My primary year list is all inclusive, and it's based on the concept that regardless of official status and slow-moving evaluation of these populations' sustainability to thrive overall, you as an observer are experiencing and encountering an individual bird which was born, functions, survives and likely propagates in the wild. I wouldn't count confirmed escapees, or zoo or farm birds, but pretty much everything else to me is fair game.

Another argument for using this list type is that it will make it easy to correspond to your eBird submissions, which exclude only "domestic" / farm influenced birds (certain peafowl, geese and monstrous mallardian descendants) - all other exotics are included as "countable" on your eBird list. This is not by accident - it's in fact very purposeful in order to track the pervasiveness, the range, and the growth of these exotic populations, with the sentiment that this data may one day contribute to granting them "self-sustaining population" status by the powers that be (CRBC or ABA).

2) Official status list.
3) Purist non-introduced list.
I was inspired to keep this list by John Sterling's County Birders club (http://www.sterlingbirds.com/county_birders.htm), in which California's top traveling birders compete on their life lists to see the most non-introduced species in every county of California (there are 58). Maybe it's blind to certain realities of our modern birding, but it struck a chord with me in a historical context - how would my list compete before colonizers brought all these ridiculous birds that have in many cases negatively impacted North American wildlife.

----

In the end, my personal solution? I keep all three of the above lists to get the best of all worlds. But that's also because I'm a spreadsheet madman with OCD tendencies. Have fun with it, and do what suits you best.
Thanks, Alex. I believe I will go with option one this year. Currently, circumstances do not allow much birding time for me and the time I do spend out, is short and not very serious. It's more a way to get outdoors for a walk and commune with Mother Nature. My life list is of the purist type though. I didn't even list the Southern Boobook or Scops Owls I heard so often while in New Zealand and Turkey because I didn't see them. It was quite obvious who they were.
I just didn't know what the protocol for the yearly Member's List here was and wanted to follow suit. If it doesn't matter to others, I will go extremely casual. Not so casual as to count the Chinese geese and barnyard mixes or the Muscovy mixes I've seen (or pigeons). I see you have a good list going and must be spending a little time out watching. I should be able to get out more next month. When I am able, I would like to drive out to a friend's place in Ridgecrest. A friend of hers has a pair of Long-eared Owls nesting on her property. I would love to see one! Might be gone by the time I am able to drive up though. Anyway, thanks for the response and good luck with good birds this year.
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 20:07   #236
Reader

I went on my first days birding since Feb 17th. Today I went to The Wyre Forest then onto Grimley near Worcester. On the way I had my First Swallow of the year plus four new birds at the Forest and finishing off with a few Sand Martins at Grimley. New birds for the year were:

167. Swallow
168. Tree Pipit
169. Pied Flycatcher
170. Wood Warbler
171. Redstart
172. Sand Martin
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 22:26   #237
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

Despite periods of heavy rain separated by periods of sunshine, I had a successful day's birding, adding eight birds to my Year List.

146. Red-eyed Vireo
147. Black-and-white Warbler
148. Scarlet Tanager
149. Hooded Warbler
150. Grasshopper Sparrow
151. Bobolink
152. Henslow's Sparrow
153. Yellow-breasted Chat

Dave
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 23:28   #238
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

A couple of quick stops on my way home from work this afternoon yielded two new birds.

154. Cliff Swallow
155. Gray Catbird

Dave
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 22:00   #239
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

One new bird this afternoon brings me up to 156 for the year.

156. Orchard Oriole

Dave
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 22:49   #240
jacana
Will Jones

One more yesterday:

197. House Finch
Old Monday 24th April 2017, 00:30   #241
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

167 spotted sandpiper
168 northern mocking bird
I don't get that every year in NE!

Old Monday 24th April 2017, 01:14   #242
Peter C.

Friday, April 21

On a run through my neighbourhood in Kitchener-Waterloo:

30) Chipping Sparrow
31) White-throated Sparrow

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th April 2017, 23:12   #243
jacana
Will Jones

My last full day in Canada, so I went down to Long Point with a friend of mine. Picked up a few nice birds including 6 lifers:

198. Broad-winged Hawk
199. Purple Martin
200. Carolina Wren
201. Cedar Waxwing
202. Ruffed Grouse
203. Myrtle Warbler
204. Hermit Thrush
205. House Wren
206. Bonaparte's Gull
207. Bald Eagle
208. Tufted Titmouse
209. Red-bellied Woodpecker
210. Forster's Tern
211. Sandhill Crane
212. Northern Harrier

213. Common Gallinule
Old Tuesday 25th April 2017, 17:03   #244
Reader

One more whilst out walking my dog when 10+ House Martins flew across the park.

173. House Martin
Old Tuesday 25th April 2017, 19:07   #245
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

169 Solitary sandpiper
170 American pipit
171 orange-crowned warbler

Last edited by Tero : Tuesday 25th April 2017 at 19:18.

Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 08:11   #246
Reader

One more whilst out walking my dog when I first heard, then found a Whitethroat.

174. Whitethroat
Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 23:17   #247
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

One new bird this morning seen flying above town.

157. Chimney Swift

Dave
Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 21:01   #248
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

Three colorful birds added to my Year List this morning, so I'm now up to 160.

158. Baltimore Oriole
159. Northern Parula
160. Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Dave
Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 22:55   #249
martinboer

Such a big change over the past week as the flowers and plants are all in full bloom with spring nicely turning into summer - and very happy to welcome two year birds back.

April 27

Chevy Chase, MD, USA
134. House Finch
135. Brown Creeper

Latest Lifer: 587 : Chestnut-shouldered Petronia (Grand Hyatt Muscat, Muscat, Oman; April 2017)
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 13:32   #250
Peter C.

Thursday, April 27

Waterloo, Ontario

32) Killdeer

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: