• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 BN Armor Question (2 Viewers)

WmCCO-5

Hello. BN users, I would appreciate your input. I Just received a (factory new) 8x32 BN and in going over it noted that I can induce a very minute amount of flex in the armor (cover) on the lower surface at the ocular end of the left barrel. If I gently rub, or push and pull, from side to side with my index finger on the ribs I get a very, very slight amount of flex/movement in the rubber/armor covering (again, at the ocular end of the barrel). There are no air bubbles, separation or other obvious signs of inadequate adhesion. Is slight flexing/ motion of the cover normal in this location?

Thanks,
Bill

It's normal. My 8x32 Ultra/Trinovid BA are that way, but it's no sign of weakness, just a reflection of the fact that the relatively hard armoring of these binos is more of a shell than a glued-on covering. I got mine in 1998 and have used them heavily around the world, including summertime use in the deserts of north Africa and the Middle East without any issues. In fact, I'd say they look as good as new! (of course, I take care of them, including an annual treatment with Armor-all).
--AP

What a sensible idea, Alexis! I have a pair of 10x42 BA Series Trinovids that I love dearly. The surface of the binoculars that faces the sun has become slightly faded from fifteen years of birding out in the scorching sun of open, treeless meadows and the blistering summer heat of Cape Cod.

I'll give your method a whirl!

I've been unable to induce the armor shifting mentioned by WmCCO-5.

CE

Alexis and Surveyor,

Thank you for the information. Your diagnosis and remarks fit my "best guess" to a "T". The symptom seemed to me to be a normal characteristic as opposed to a problem but it is always reassuring to get input from experienced and knowledgeable users. My previous "armored" bins, to include my current FL, have exhibited very tight and almost rigid coverings.

By-the-way, the 8x32BN is an absolute diamond. I wish now that I had been able to test drive one years ago. Unfortunately, the opportunity just never presented itself. The little Trinivid has immediaely become my favorite, even over newer (and visually brighter) products from Zeiss, Leica and Swaro...one of those instances where the combination of all ergonomic and optical characteristics just seem to blend and produce a superb (total) package... at least for some people.

Thank you,
Bill

Last edited:
...the combination of all ergonomic and optical characteristics just seem to blend and produce a superb (total) package... at least for some people. ..

I could never befriend myself with the ribs. Other than that, I fully agree. I had tried to file some of those ribs down, but that was a definite mistake. The feeling is now much worse with a rough surface that can't be smoothed.

Hello Robert,

I do like/prefer ribs...especially with BBQ sauce. Seriously, if they were mine, I'd return the BN's to Leica for new factory armor....ideally, you would have 'em back in 2-3 weeks looking new. I would assume/hope that it is an easy job for them.

Bill

Last edited:
Hello Robert,

I do like/prefer ribs...especially with BBQ sauce. Seriously, if they were mine, I'd return the BN's to Leica for new factory armor....ideally, you would have 'em back in 2-3 weeks looking new. I would assume/hope that it is an easy job for them.

Bill

My main binoculars these days are the Zeiss 8x42 FL (I don't mind those ribs, or should I say their ribbing), thus the handy Leicas have been relegated to second in line. I don't feel like investing money into them as they still serve there present purpose very well. There is also a major scratch in the eyepiece lens, but it does not visibly affect the excellent view.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back