• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm X-T2 for bird photography (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
What are you experiences with using Fujifilm X-T2 for bird photography? In particular:
- is autofocus up to scratch?
- how does it handle photographing small birds at dusk or dawn?

I have the X-T1, which is brilliant. I use this camera over all the others I have. I find that with the 400mm it gives me a reasonably chance to get most things, if using the converter then I use the tripod and release.

In good light autofocus is as good as any mirrorless I've used. Not as quick as my Nikon DSLR in any other light conditions, but I use my Fuji as a lighter carrying set-up along with the scope, I find that I can carry this lot around and not get too knackered. It's super at close-up photography, especially plants, butterflies and bugs. Birds are good if you can get within range, but that's the same with any other camera.

In terms of ISO then there is a difference and limit on what you can do. But results, that's in the eye of the beholder, I'm fussy, what's acceptable to most wouldn't be for me. I'm lucky that I have software which is not available to others, so I can fiddle to some degree on the final look. But there's a limit to what you can photograph in dull light and be happy

The light needs to be good for this camera, but saying that I would be disappointed with the results others get with high ISOs using their DSLR.

The X-T2 has a bigger image file which means you are extracting more detail from the file, I find that tempting, but not enough changes from the X-T1 to warrant changing.

I would go to LCE and have a practice, I'm sure they'll let you. That way you can judge whether this camera is for you.

I just switched to fuji x-t2 for birding. So far I haven't had the time to test birds in flight that much, and I am still waiting for the booster grip. But so far for still subjects it is excellent. Probably the best I have ever used. focus is fast and dead accurate, evf is awesome and doubles as a spotting scope with the digital zoom in the evf. So far the only negative things are tiny buttons and aweful battery life :) Both those are solvable with some sugru and alot more batteries in my pocket :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back