• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kingfisher carving... (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
this is one of the carvings, that I've got ready for this years show, at bakewell in Derbyshire...I start with drawing top & side profile on a piece of lime (wood)..
I cut out one side first on bandsaw ,hot glue the pieces back together ,then cut out, other side.. then out pops a bird,well allmost...then i round all the edges,
while checking with pictures all the time...you can see in some photos that i have a computer monitor in my workshop,it saves me no end of time than looking for pictures in books...you can see in the next set of photos that the head is looking more like a bird, when carving you draw a centre-line all round the bird and work both sides of line to keep it symmetrical...
not been carving for while ,so out of practise ...they say keep your chisels sharp
less chance of injuries ....well they lied, mine are like razors and now I'm minus the top of my thumb:-O...will post soon mark...

Attachments

• mixed 3.jpg
    mixed 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 457
  • mixed 31.jpg
    mixed 31.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 497
Terrific work Mark - superglue was designed to stick bodyparts back on, apparently.
Keep us updated on the kingfisher and the thumb.

Amazing, to watch this come together. You must have a considerable amount of vision, to be able to take a big block of wood and somehow free just the shape you were after! Looks awesome already, can't wait to see it finished.

ouch! must have bled a bunch....sometimes it grows back a bit, but it stays sensitive a long time....I did that once and for 3 years I could feel it. I'd forgotten till you said that, now that I look at mine 30 yrs later, one thumb is more rounded and padded than the other, but I never notice anymore.
Carving is so much work and the results of bird work never cease to amaze me. thanks for posting the work in progress.

superb work, carving is so relaxing, I've only carved one thing out of wood, a tiny corner of a purple sandpiper out of a huge block, it was asleep and fluffed up of course - just to make it easier (possible). Really instructive to see the step by step.

Hope the thumb grows back!!! Last time I knew someone who did that they put the photos of the severed end on facebook- made me feel a bit queasy I can tell you!

EEEWWWW!!! Thanks for sharing that Nick! Hope the thumb gets better Mark.

The Kingfisher look great coming along real well. Keep up the progress reports.

thanks all, a bit of super glue....a plaster and alls well.you think that i would have learned by now, to keep my paws out of the way...

I'm happy with beak, so I'm starting with the feather layout. If you look at the photo of back of head ,you see that the pencil marks dont line up, thats because I've turned the head a bit ,for a better pose...once the head is finished, then I will fit the glass eyes...

Attachments

• mixed 32.jpg
    mixed 32.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 290
It's fascinating to see this take shape. I just realized looking at this that you really can't fudge with sculpture in terms of getting the structure right. No clever brushwork to cover up part of the structure that you're not sure about. Everything is right out in the open!

Hi Mark,
Great to see your bird comming together.
Could you tell me where you get your supplies. I got some bits and peices some time ago from Pintail Carving Supplies at Natwhich in Cheshire, but when I visited their web site recently they have stopped trading!
Any help appreciated.
Jim

Hi Mark,
Great to see your bird comming together.
Could you tell me where you get your supplies. I got some bits and peices some time ago from Pintail Carving Supplies at Natwhich in Cheshire, but when I visited their web site recently they have stopped trading!
Any help appreciated.
Jim

I'm sure Mark will revert- but meantime you could try Snowdonia here

http://freespace.virgin.net/sts.northwales/body.htm

I've used them for glass eyes, but never yet tried one of their polyurethane skinned weasels.

yes ed, thats where i get my eyes from....
hi, jim ,yes pintail dont trade no more, but I think that woodworks craft supplies..are doing most of the same tools ,If there is anything else you want to know just email me...mark.

not done much carving today ....been trying to sort out wifes bloody laptop, I started a great spotted woodpecker..its coming on ok ... kingfisher is nearly finished ,only painting...
Its not that I'm a quick carver....the photos were taken over a few weeks....some say why paint the birds,well its because lime has not got much to look at, a bit like mdf I would say...It would only be good for bold carvings...like abstract work, now if it was walnut or anything like...then it would be a sin to paint it. anyhow, you can see that we use a burning pen for the feather detail & also use it for sealing the bill, by burnishing it....thanks for looking mark...

Attachments

• mixed 33.jpg
    mixed 33.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 306
wow what a lot of work, I would never have the patience, even when I paint I'm always looking for ways to get out of feather detail!

wow what a lot of work, I would never have the patience, even when I paint I'm always looking for ways to get out of feather detail!
thats the thing with it colleen, I've still got a lot to learn ,like some things don't need to be textured ,Its knowing what to get away with...mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back