• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 OS... (1 Viewer)

This website seems to suggest that it's sharper than the Canon 300 f2.8 (not the new one) both with and without T/Cs.

It also shows the Sigma is not quite 300mm or at least the real focal length is shorter than the Canon prime (and the front element of the Sigma is noticeably smaller than the Canon).

Hi Stu,

this "less than 300mm" phenomenon is a common side-effect of zooms - at very close and infinity focus, the actual FL becomes slightly shorter in some cases. At other FLs, it's less of an issue.

In terms of the front element, I'd wondered about that too, so looked at the specs of the Sigma and Canon lenses, and - surprisingly - found that the max. width of each lens is very similar (114mm vs. 128 mm).

The slight (14 millimeter) difference can, I think, be accounted for by the different lens barrel designs - the Canon has a wide flange at the top directly under the lens mount thread.

Adrian,

I've not yet seen anything definitive about the absence - or otherwise - of a focus limiter in this version. I know that it's something that many folk have complained about in the past, so you'd think Sigma might get the point..!

;)

Hi Keith, so if you aren't shooting at close to minimum focus distance it should be nearer to a full 300mm? If that is the case I don't see it being a deal breaker.

I guess we're waiting to see how the AF speed compares against the Canon. The tests I linked show it's sharper (it's only one test I know and nobody can vouch for how methodical it is) and that is most definitely encouraging but the AF speed and IQ with T/Cs are what us birders are waiting to find out.

Hi Keith, so if you aren't shooting at close to minimum focus distance it should be nearer to a full 300mm? If that is the case I don't see it being a deal breaker.
Essentially, Stu - and at infinity focus too (which I can't imagine will be relevant to us).

Mind you, at MFD (or anywhere else, for that matter) I don't see the absence of 20mm or so of FL as an issue anyway - I've never found myself thinking "if only I had another 20mm...", nor has any picture I've taken been spoiled for the lack of it (this happens with the 100-400mm too, by all accounts).

If I need another 20mm or so, I'll just lean forward a bit!

;)

Last edited:
Merged your thread with an existing one Thomas. :t:

Oh and it does always seem that a full frame lens always has impaired performance on a full frame camera. Doesn't give people much incentive to buy FF cameras really.

Yes it does seem that Sigma deliberately like to shoot themselves in the foot doesn't it Rob. Would it really add that much more to the cost to have a limiter switch!?

Last edited:
Well, nothing technical from me! I have just taken delivery together with both T/C's and got to confess I am well pleased. Having just got back from a few day of nothing but photographing birds using a Nikon 300mm f2.8 I plugged the new Sigma on and went off to have a go. I think it is brilliant. Very, very sharp and very good with the 2t/c on. I am off tomorrow to spent the day with a Harris Hawke so I am looking for some close up and BIF shots . . . I'll let you know my thoughts.

Hey, got mine yesterday for my Canon and I am from Warwick too!

Some shots:
1. Sigma 120-300mm at 600mm f5.6 (kenko 2x DG)
2. Canon 500mm at 700mm f5.6 (Canon 1.4x II)
3. Canon 800mm at 5.6

center%20crop%20600mm%20f5.6.jpg

center%20crop%20700mm%20f5.6.jpg

center%20crop%20800mm%205.6.jpg

An 100% crop at 300mm f2.8
1st one is unedited
2nd one with some contrast added and a little sharpening

300mm%20f2.8.jpg

300mm%20f2.8%20edited.jpg

1. Sigma 120-300mm at 600mm f8 (kenko 2x DG)
2. Canon 500mm at 700mm f8 (Canon 1.4x II)
3. Canon 800mm at 8

600mm%20f8.jpg

700mm%20f8.jpg

800mm%20f8.jpg

And 600mm edited

600mm%20f8%20edited.jpg

First AF servo sequence. Using a 7D, 6 frames taken in the same second.
Exif data should be intact
Back garden too small to use TC's so all shots are at 120mm
When it stops raining and I can go to a park I will try different focal lengths and teleconverters

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

And crops of all 6 frames.

IMG_9356c.jpg

IMG_9357c.jpg

IMG_9358c.jpg

IMG_9359c.jpg

IMG_9360c.jpg

IMG_9361c.jpg

Last edited:
That's some very interesting images indeed! Obviously, the Canon 800mm @f8 is sharper (as one would expect based on the price!). But the call between the Canon 500 @700/f8 and Sigma @ 600/f8 is too close to call IMO.

Well, well, well, certainly something to think about. Thanks for posting.

Thomas

It is indeed very interesting results. With the Canon 300mm IS II being over double the price you have to wonder if the Canon is worth the money. Can it really be that much better for the majority of photographers?
Andrew

Sigma 120 - 300m f2.8 OS

Guys, this is one very awesome lens. Spent the morning with a local Falconer in bad light and patchy background. But out of the pics there are enough to see this is going to be a very good lens. No technical stuff from me, you can blind me with specification and technical information but I go enough places and take enough pics to know the real thing and this is good, vey good.

Check out this . . . . . .
http://gallery.me.com/david.melville#100192&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Nikon will almost certainly order Sigma to withdraw all current OS zoom lenses if they win!

Dunno about that, they may ask to pay royalties or something. And it'll take ages to work its way through the courts.

I don't know enough about the technical side to comment on whether Nikon has a good enough case but I suspect it may be difficult to prove Sigma deliberately copied their VR system, I mean once something new has been invented and produced the concept is out there for everyone to make their own version, no?

If it is a an exact (or very close) replica I guess it is different but like I say I don't really know that side if it.

Nikon's lawsuit seeks an injunction against Sigma's manufacture and sale of infringing interchangeable lenses with vibration reduction for single lens reflex cameras, along with damages for past infringement.

From the article. Doesn't sound like they want a slice of their ongoing profits from that.

However there is a thread for this topic and I don't want to usurp this one so could you post any replies on the other thread Stu. You'll find it a little below this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back