• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sapphire ED 8x25 (1 Viewer)

OK_Hunter

I recently purchased the Hawke Sapphire ED 8x25 compact binocular, as I had heard that it provided a really nice view for the price. I paid $290 U.S., and I believe that this binocular is intended to compete with the very best compacts (alpha) made. So, I will provide a mini-review as I have not heard from anyone that has actually purchased these to date.

First, mechanical build: I feel that these binoculars are very well made and compact. The double hinge design has just the right amount of tension when adjusting the IPD so that the barrels don't flop around, etc. The design is very similar to the Swarovski pocket, so if you've seen those, you know what to expect. Diopter works fine...my one complaint with the build is the focus knob. My unit is very difficult to adjust focus on - I make due but it could certainly be improved upon.

Optics: I don't have any Alpha level glass to compare these to, so I don't want to speak out of turn. I do own Kruger Caldera (10x42), some older Nikon 9x28 reverse porros, and I also compared the Sapphires to some of the new Monarch 5 8x42 and Steiner Safari Pro 8x22 binoculars.

The IPD is easy to adjust and once you have it set, it stays put. Eye relief is ample and I believe sufficient for glasses wearers (I don't wear glasses, but I extend the eye cups all the way out for use). The 25mm objective helps to prevent blackouts that are usually seen with the 20mm compacts.

The View - it is outstanding. Razor sharp from the center, literally all the way to the edge. Color saturation and contrast are excellent as well. CA is basically non-existent.

Please let me know if there are any questions and I will certainly respond...

Greg

One more note, neither of the compacts that I previously mentioned were even remotely competitive optically to the Sapphires. The full sized binocs obviously have an advantage in brightness, but the Sapphires hold a huge advantage over the Monarch 5 and Caldera in terms of edge sharpness/sweet spot. These are very nice compact binoculars, and if you're considering an alpha level compact - you should definitely take a look at these.

They resemble, superficially, the ones Swarovski replaced with the new CL series. The focus wheel is on the front of the hinge where the old model Swarovski's had it. They are also lighter than the Swarovski CL by about 4 ounces and their eye relief is shorter by 2 cm. They also have lens covers which the new CLs do not have.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/sapphire-ed-compact.html

Bob

PS: These compact binoculars often have very good edges. Nikon's 8 x 20 Premier (formerly LX L) has very good edges.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/7506/Premier-LX-L-8x20.html

Last edited:
I also just purchased the Sapphire 8x25 ED. Optically equals Nikon HGL, very good indeed.
Hinge was bit loose but fixed by myself easily. ER is enough for glasses wearer (I am).

Very well made with high quality accessories. The only downside is the focusser has some play (I guess I could fix it as well as soon as I open the top plate) and one thing quite weird is I have to adjust the diopter to "-" instead of "+" which I usually do.

Just curious why the new SW CL is so much bulkier with same spec. Await the Leica Ultravid 8x20 arrival for further comparsion.

Andy

Thanks for the reports guys.

Although I thought the focus a little stiffer than ideal on the ones I've tried I didn't notice any play. Have either of you noticed if it improves with use? The focus and dioptre are still on the small side for my fingers, but at least they are bigger than the Swaro 8x20.

I wouldn't call the little Sapphire cheap, but perhaps a bargain compared to the alpha compacts.

David

I also just purchased the Sapphire 8x25 ED. Optically equals Nikon HGL, very good indeed.
Hinge was bit loose but fixed by myself easily. ER is enough for glasses wearer (I am).

Very well made with high quality accessories. The only downside is the focusser has some play (I guess I could fix it as well as soon as I open the top plate) and one thing quite weird is I have to adjust the diopter to "-" instead of "+" which I usually do.

Just curious why the new SW CL is so much bulkier with same spec. Await the Leica Ultravid 8x20 arrival for further comparsion.

Andy

Andy,

Did your Sapphires come with lens covers? Mine did not, so if I will call Hawke to request them if mine did not make it into the box...

As for the focus knob, I thought it had improved with use until yesterday I pulled them out to play with and the focus knob had reverted to the as received status of extra stiff (?? could just be my imagination). I'm going to attempt to loosen it up a bit.

Thanks - Greg

I also just purchased the Sapphire 8x25 ED. Optically equals Nikon HGL,......................................................

Andy

My guess, and it is only that, is that the eyepiece is larger to accommodate the longer eye relief. The eye cups look much larger than the ones on the originals.

Bob

Andy,

Did your Sapphires come with lens covers? Mine did not, so if I will call Hawke to request them if mine did not make it into the box...

As for the focus knob, I thought it had improved with use until yesterday I pulled them out to play with and the focus knob had reverted to the as received status of extra stiff (?? could just be my imagination). I'm going to attempt to loosen it up a bit.

Thanks - Greg

No, They didn't but could find a third party lens caps.

My sister was after small binoculars and I ended up buying her 8X25 Sapphire--I was amazed at how good they are. Crystal clear image, good field of view, good sized objective lens and tiny when they are folded up. They did come with lens caps.
She is delighted with them.

Yesterday, I went to Sportsman's Liquidation to try the Sapphire 8x25 ED. I took along my Olympus 7x21 Blue Beetle to compare. Unfortunately, I found the store itself had been .... liquidated!

The store went out of business last week. Saw on Facebook that I could have gotten 40% off all optics (they were a Hawke dealer). Too many students and academics and not enough sportsmen, apparently.

<B>

Brock I didn't like that store.

Why not?

It was very dark inside, that I didn't like. I had to go outside to try out the Hawke bins they had, but they let me take the bins outside, and they were an authorized Hawke dealer, the only one i know of in the area. And the prices were good.

Apparently, these were overstocked items, so they never had the latest models.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back