• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frogs in Costa Rica ID (1 Viewer)

tcom

Hi everyone

I have taken the pictures of three frogs in Costa Rica. I tried to ID them but would like a confirmation.

Dendrobates pumilio (strawberry poison dart frog)
medium.jpg

Dendrobates auratus (Green and Black Poison Dart Frog)
medium.jpg

Eleutherodactylus megacephalus (Broad-headed Rain Frog)
medium.jpg

Link to my Costa Rica gallery

Thank you in advance

koooooooooooool

saw the first two sp. but not the last

got a big pic of the black n green one on my Costa Rica thread, very poisonous or so I was told...

would be very interested in specific id....

Tim

The top two IDs look correct to me. That form of the strawberry poison dart frog is often called 'blue jeans frog' by U.S. herpers; other forms are all red. And, no, Tim, you wouldn't want to touch either species. I'm no help for the third species, I'm afraid.

Good site: http://amphibiaweb.org/

PS Great basilisk pics on your gallery. What a lizard that is!

Last edited:
Thank you for these replies, at least the first two are identified correctly. I will keep you informed if I should learn something aboutthe 3rd frog.

To jdj: yes, I am really happy with my photos of basilisks. The green basilisk is really superb lizard.

top one is Dendrobates pumilio (Strawberry poison dart frog) blue jeans morph
next is Dendrobates auratus (Green & black poison dart frog) nominate morph
can't do third, not in my line of interest.

As for being poisonous, yes they are, if you handle them to much you feel sick as the poison passes through your skin, but you'll only be in trouble if you decide to eat one or handle it with a cut on your hand.

been doing research and I cange my answer from:
Dendrobates auratus (Green & black poison dart frog) nominate morph
to
Dendrobates auratus (Green & black poison dart frog) Costa Rica/Atlantic coast morph

BGuy said:
Superb gallery, Dominique . . . it brought back some wonderful memories of my visit ten years ago.

Thank you BGuy. The trip in Costa Rica was really beautifull and I hope my gallery shows at least a little bit of it.

tcom said:
Hi everyone

I have taken the pictures of three frogs in Costa Rica. I tried to ID them but would like a confirmation.

Dendrobates pumilio (strawberry poison dart frog)
medium.jpg

Dendrobates auratus (Green and Black Poison Dart Frog)
medium.jpg

Eleutherodactylus megacephalus (Broad-headed Rain Frog)
medium.jpg

Link to my Costa Rica gallery

Thank you in advance

No 3 looks like Osteopilus septentrionalis, but if the photo wasn't taken on the Caribbean coast, in Limon province, you can discount this suggestion.

I think number three is a Eleutherodactylus but the species...
This genus contains more species than any genus found within vertebrates. It currently includes more than 500 species with very frequent new additions. In Costa Rica at least 40 species are to be found. I can´t see clearly on the back of this frog the bony ridges resembling an hour glass at the centre of the back a sp megacephalus should show but I´m no expert and could be a juv. or who knows what other sp!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back