• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carbon fibre tripod: any ideas? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Just a few rambling thoughts ...
I have some experience with my good and reliable Manfrotto 055V, but I'd like to buy a carbon fibre tripod, to be used during longer walks. So many fine quality items on the market to choose among (I've been told: "Gitzo are the best CF tripods", "Manfrotto are not bad at all", "Why not looking at Giottos?", "What about Benros?"), but the minefield is too much for me.

Therefore I'll list a few requirements I deem most useful for me:

• structure: sturdy (should be fit also for - future - longer and heavier telephoto lenses); a built-in bubble-level would be a plus
  • leg sections: better 3 (I guess there's less vibration... correct?), I'm not concerned very much with short-collapsible tripods
  • weight: quite light (lighter than my alu tripod)
  • max height: eye level (I'm 1.80m) without centre column
  • min height: should allow me to shoot at ground level
  • centre column: NO, or removable (see above) EDIT: does Manfrotto produce tripods without centre column?
  • head: should fit a video head directly mounted on it (compatible with Manfrotto heads is asking too much? I'm on the verge of buying a 501 head)
  • price: hey, don't try to bankrupt me! ;)

Well, now you know ... I'd like to hear from your direct experiences about pros and cons
Thank you for taking the time to answer to this confusing question B :)
Cheers,
Max

Last edited:
gmax said:
Just a few rambling thoughts ...
I have some experience with my good and reliable Manfrotto 055V, but I'd like to buy a carbon fibre tripod, to be used during longer walks. So many fine quality items on the market to choose among (I've been told: "Gitzo are the best CF tripods", "Manfrotto are not bad at all", "Why not looking at Giottos?", "What about Benros?"), but the minefield is too much for me.

Therefore I'll list a few requirements I deem most useful for me:

• structure: sturdy (should be fit also for - future - longer and heavier telephoto lenses); a built-in bubble-level would be a plus
  • leg sections: better 3 (I guess there's less vibration... correct?), I'm not concerned very much with short-collapsible tripods
  • weight: quite light (lighter than my alu tripod)
  • max height: eye level (I'm 1.80m) without centre column
  • min height: should allow me to shoot at ground level
  • centre column: NO, or removable (see above)
  • head: should fit a video head directly mounted on it (compatible with Manfrotto heads is asking too much? I'm on the verge of buying a 501 head)
  • price: hey, don't try to bankrupt me! ;)
Well, now you know ... I'd like to hear from your direct experiences about pros and cons
Thank you for taking the time to answer to this confusing question B :)
Cheers,
Max

I have a CF Manfrotto,wish I had purchased one years ago (of course they were not around then) now as an ancient birder would not be without it.It is a great help particularly as the hills seem to be getting steeper,must be global warming or something.

POP

POP said:
I have a CF Manfrotto,wish I had purchased one years ago (of course they were not around then) now as an ancient birder would not be without it.It is a great help particularly as the hills seem to be getting steeper,must be global warming or something.

POP
I too had this dilemma. So with a host to choose from I went for price.
I bought a CF Velbon 630 from Warehouse Express at Christmas, a great special offer. I fitted a manfrotto 501 head on top and use a D70 with Tamron 200 to 500 with a 1.4 teleconvertor. I'm very pleased with it. I'm 5ft 11 and without the extension raised it is high enough.

Daveash

Hi Max

you could always stick with what you know and get an 055MFV... but you won't save much weight and can't shoot at ground level very easily. I have been looking at CF tripods recently and have narrowed it down to two choices -

Swarovski CT101 - this is an amazingly lightweight tripod, it has a good footprint, good height and very stable. At the top it has a 3/8" thread and a wide plate featureing three grub screws (like Manfrotto)... but the central column is fairly long and will stop ground level shooting. RRP £236

Velbon 630CF - seems very similar construction to the Swaro, but has spiked feet and weighs a bit more (it also has silly white numbers on the legs)! It has a smaller thread for head attachment so would need a small adapter to take a Manfrotto head. One big plus is that the central column splits in two allowing low level shooting. RRP ~£200

When I finally crack and buy a new CF tripod it will be one of these two, currently I'm leaning towards the Velbon for the low level ability... but the Swaro is lighter and I can alway use my beanbag for ground level stuff...

As an aside go for the 501 head, you'll love it. I got one about 18 months ago and think it's great (so good I couldn't resist getting a second), so smooth and solid.

postcardcv said:
Hi Max

you could always stick with what you know and get an 055MFV... but you won't save much weight and can't shoot at ground level very easily. I have been looking at CF tripods recently and have narrowed it down to two choices -

Swarovski CT101 - this is an amazingly lightweight tripod, it has a good footprint, good height and very stable. At the top it has a 3/8" thread and a wide plate featureing three grub screws (like Manfrotto)... but the central column is fairly long and will stop ground level shooting. RRP £236

Velbon 630CF - seems very similar construction to the Swaro, but has spiked feet and weighs a bit more (it also has silly white numbers on the legs)! It has a smaller thread for head attachment so would need a small adapter to take a Manfrotto head. One big plus is that the central column splits in two allowing low level shooting. RRP ~£200

When I finally crack and buy a new CF tripod it will be one of these two, currently I'm leaning towards the Velbon for the low level ability... but the Swaro is lighter and I can alway use my beanbag for ground level stuff...

As an aside go for the 501 head, you'll love it. I got one about 18 months ago and think it's great (so good I couldn't resist getting a second), so smooth and solid.

I have the Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-630, and have been very satisfied with it. It has rubber feet with an extending spike, so can be used with either. Mine doesn't have silly white numbers on the legs. It has both sizes of thread. I use mine with a Manfrotto 701RC2 head. The 501 is a superb head, though rather heavy, and was outside my budget.

If you want a tripod for use with your DSLR & a (future) large lens the 055V is way too flimsy & not designed to carry the weight of this type of kit

I have one I used to use with a Swarovski ATS80HD & Fuji F10 for digiscoping & found there was too much vibration when it was windy though it is a good tripod for scope alone

I now use the Gitzo 1325 & this is rock solid with 1DMKIIN & 500f4 IS mounted on a Kirk king cobra head

055V weighs 2.30kg max load 6kg

1325 " " 2.03kg max load 12kg

The 1325 has no centre column & allows you to shoot at ground level easily

I would recommend you buy a gimbled head Kirk/Wimberley etc not a video head

Price: Not cheap but quality is worth paying for

Good luck on your choice

Regards Bish. :t:

I used a Manfrotto 055 for 18 yeeeears with 136 video head with a Nikon 600mm and recently invested in a Gitzo 1348 and Wimberley. Why have I been so stupid all these years. This combo, albeit expensive, is streets ahead in stability, usability and weighs a lot less. Save up, you won't regret it.

postcardcv said:

I'm very pleased with my CF631 (clips instead of twist locks on the 630) and I actually like the "silly white numbers" as the right height for me is one marking short of fully extended. Should also be able to get it for about £160 ish.

Nigel G said:
I'm very pleased with my CF631 (clips instead of twist locks on the 630) and I actually like the "silly white numbers" as the right height for me is one marking short of fully extended. Should also be able to get it for about £160 ish.

Nigel,

what's the height of the 631, fully extended but with centre column down?
The importer, and consequently everyone else, give an extended height, but no clue on whether that's column up or column down.

Andrew

andrew_s said:
what's the height of the 631, fully extended but with centre column down?
The importer, and consequently everyone else, give an extended height, but no clue on whether that's column up or column down.

From the floor to head mount is 130cm (51inches) with the column down and then of course you need to add the height of your tripod head plus camera or scope to get eye level.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back