• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

Bracing

It was a bracing winter's day here in Torry, with a southerly wind that didn't feel very southerly. The light was good on the north shore though, so I took lots of pictures, which I'm sure will keep at least some regular readers happy. The Queen and Prince Eiders were still around off the foghorn and still seem to be rather attached to one another. Also offshore were lots of Guillemots and a brief Harbour Porpoise. Two Bottle-nosed Dolphins came into the harbour - the first I've seen for ages. The drake Red-breasted Merganser was lurking about the river mouth and showed well on occasions as the pictures below testify. There were several Red-throated Divers around, including a group of three a long way into the harbour.

Here are some King and Queen Eider pictures. Not very good but check out those white axillaries.

Attachments

• Queen Eider Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    Queen Eider Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 146
  • Queen Eider Girdle Ness 161207c.jpg
    Queen Eider Girdle Ness 161207c.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 152
  • King Eider Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    King Eider Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 156
  • King Eider Girdle Ness 161207c.jpg
    King Eider Girdle Ness 161207c.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 162
  • King Eider Girdle Ness 161207d.jpg
    King Eider Girdle Ness 161207d.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 166
I took loads of shots of the drake Red-breasted Merganser earlier in the day but these were rendered pretty superfluous when he came in really close and in decent light as I returned home.

Attachments

• RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 149
  • RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207b.jpg
    RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207b.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 162
  • RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207d.jpg
    RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207d.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 134
  • RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207f.jpg
    RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207f.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 147
  • RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207l.jpg
    RB Merganser Girdle Ness 161207l.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 159
With the Merganser were a pair of Eiders. I think the drake occasionally showed sails, so I suppose is a 'Borealis type', not something I've mentioned much lately. It's got quite an orangey bill too.

Attachments

• Female Eider Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    Female Eider Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Female Eider Girdle Ness 161207d.jpg
    Female Eider Girdle Ness 161207d.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Male Eider Girdle Ness 161207b.jpg
    Male Eider Girdle Ness 161207b.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 141
  • Male Eider Girdle Ness 161207c.jpg
    Male Eider Girdle Ness 161207c.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Male Eider Girdle Ness 161207h.jpg
    Male Eider Girdle Ness 161207h.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 156
I've also made a delightful series of Christmas cards for Birds fae Torry readers. Some of the pictures aren't that good but maybe the jokes are better. Possibly.

Oh and there was a Cormorant I took some pictures of too.

Attachments

• Christmas Card 1.jpg
    Christmas Card 1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Christmas Card 3 copy.jpg
    Christmas Card 3 copy.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Christmas Card 4 copy.jpg
    Christmas Card 4 copy.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Christmas Card 5 copy.jpg
    Christmas Card 5 copy.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Cormorant Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    Cormorant Girdle Ness 161207a.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
My goodness, some of these pics are (he says chokingly) just about pleasing to the eye esp the RBM's-early digiscoping lessons from Santa, Andrew. ;)

And even the eider royalty are almost intelligable, some of the time. Still composition......

Is this you making an effort to muscle out hisbadself as official photographer on our spring jaunt to Spain;)

My goodness, some of these pics are (he says chokingly) just about pleasing to the eye esp the RBM's-early digiscoping lessons from Santa, Andrew. ;)

And even the eider royalty are almost intelligable, some of the time. Still composition......

Is this you making an effort to muscle out hisbadself as official photographer on our spring jaunt to Spain;)

Glad you like the pictures Dr G ;). I don't think there's any danger of me being official photographer. I might put in for official sound recordist though, once I get the hang of the gear.

Yesterday I had a lunchtime wander down to the Coo. The two King Eiders were again doing their duty and showing nicely. There seemed to be a few more Common Eiders than normal but there were very few Guillemots. One Gannet flew north. A drake Goldeneye was on the harbour and a Sparrowhawk homed in on a Starling, with unseen consequences.

Today was a really crisp cold day, with plenty of ice coming down the River Dee and into the harbour (see picture). The Peregrine was again on Triple Kirks spire.

Attachments

• Icy Harbour Aberdeen 191207.jpg
    Icy Harbour Aberdeen 191207.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 154
The ice flows on the Dee today were really rather magnificent. It's not been that cold here but upstream it's been well below -10C, so I guess there's some chilly water coming down. The Peregrine was again on Triple Kirks this morning. A Goldeneye and a Red-throated Diver were in the harbour and two Pink-footed Geese flew south over the sea - the first geese I've seen around here for a little while. There seemed to be a few more Blackbirds around the gardens this morning, perhaps a sign of a cold weather movement towards the coast and the city.

I was Christmas shopping in town on Monday and the Peregrine was sitting on its Triple Kirks perch as I walked down Belmont Street. Also saw a very tame Grey Wagtail on the roof of the Denburn carpark. I had a wander up to Rosemount to see if I could find the waxwings again, but sadly no luck there and an unexpected sighting of Stefan Dennis in John Lewis was no consolation. It certainly didn't make me feel good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfYjucLGj0

Last edited:
Congrats to Aberdeen on their 4-0 drubbing of Copenhagen. It's a long time since the Dons gave me anything to cheer about. Now Aberdeen can boast not only a pair of king eiders and the occasional purple sandpiper, but a football team as well.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back