• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portugal ID please (1 Viewer)

Feathered one

One from our holiday in Portugal last month, can you confirm please, that it is a Tawny Pipit Juvenile ?
With help from members of this forum, we are gradually learning more of the birds.

Malc

Attachments

• DSCN2288a.jpg
    DSCN2288a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 165
Whoops

Thanks Andrew, looks as though I will have to go back to the Bird book again.
Can you say what distinguishes it from the Tawny Pipit.
It looks as though it's going to take a long while to get this id of birds any where near right, and then of course there is the bird song as well. I think it may be a bit late in life to have started.

Edit, Thanks Ian and Dan, and Dan has given me the description.

Malc

Last edited:
Whoops

Thanks Andrew, looks as though I will have to go back to the Bird book again.
Can you say what distinguishes it from the Tawny Pipit.
It looks as though it's going to take a long while to get this id of birds any where near right, and then of course there is the bird song as well. I think it may be a bit late in life to have started.

Edit, Thanks Ian and Dan, and Dan has given me the description.

Malc

Don't give up Malc! There are a few differences that are visible in this picture, although in real life some more obvious differences would have been apparent, particularly the very different shape (Woodlark stocky with a very short tail, Tawny Pipit slender with a rather long tail). Woodlark has a pretty distinctive face pattern, with a very broad pale supercillium reaching right back to the nape to form a pale v. You can't see this from this angle but you can see that the supercillium goes all the way to the nape. The pattern on the ear coverts is distinctive too, with a dark moustachial and pale spot contrasting with a richly rufous colour. The streaking on the breast is also rather thick.

Andrew

Amazing you can have that much information stored away in your head for one bird. And having looked in the bird book and at my picture, I can see your description fits a treat.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.

Malc

Hello Jane

From the pictures you linked to I can see my mistake, they are very different birds.
The Tarsiger site I have put in my favourites, very usefull.

Thank You very much

Malc

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back